Sony A7 III Help With A Lens Option on the Sony a7iii

donnaj0326

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or suggestions as I'm at a stand still in a new lens choice. Reviews on all of these are great. My photography is mainly running pictures. I want to choose wisely and what will be best long term for myself. I currently have a starter lens, Sony 55-210. It doesn't a somewhat decent job; but, my shots need to be better - simple as that.

Lenses that I've been banging my head with - not literally!
🤣

Sony 70-200 f/4 Sony 70-200 f/2.8
and, finally the
Sony 100 - 400 f/4.5-5.6

I do realize that with the f/2.8 that I get the constant aperture; but, I do like the reach on the 400. Most of the races that I shoot are in the morning or early evening - outside.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions. Thanks so much.

Solution
The Sony 70-200 f/2.8 is a great lens, I don't own one but have tried it. It's heavier than the f/4 but much better imho. You also get a decent depth of field on the f/2.8 eg. at 200mm, f/2.8, 50m away you would get somewhere near 4.5m in front and 5.5m behind the focus which would then include a few runners? You can of course make that smaller by letting them get closer! I do own the 100-400 and love it for similar reasons but you need a little more light because of the f stop.
The Sony 70-200 f/2.8 is a great lens, I don't own one but have tried it. It's heavier than the f/4 but much better imho. You also get a decent depth of field on the f/2.8 eg. at 200mm, f/2.8, 50m away you would get somewhere near 4.5m in front and 5.5m behind the focus which would then include a few runners? You can of course make that smaller by letting them get closer! I do own the 100-400 and love it for similar reasons but you need a little more light because of the f stop.

Solution
Don't forget the New A to E mount adapter is out. Giving us some additional / usable (Less expensive) options.....

Thank you!!!!

Back