Firmware version 2.10 has now been released for the Sony a7III. This fixes a previous raw file bug in firmware v2.00 as well as a problem with a third-party (SanDisk) memory card that was not being recognized.
You can download the firmware from Sony’s support sites:
Benefits and Improvements in Sony a7III Firmware Version 2.10
1. Improves the following:
In rare cases, the camera may stop functioning while writing RAW data onto an SD card that has already been used multiple times
- This may also cause abnormalities in the files managing the images, preventing the images from displaying on the camera.
- No image data in the memory card will be corrupted or deleted aside from the data that was being written at the time the interruption occurred.
2. Solves the problem caused by a specific third-party memory card, which would not be recognised by Sony cameras
3. Improvement of the overall stability of the camera
Previous a7 III Firmware Versions
Firmware Version 2.00
Firmware version 2.00 was suspended. See here for details.
Firmware version 2.00 adds support for the new FE 400mm F2.8 GM lens as well as the new FE 24mm F1.4 GM lens. And if you are using the LA-EA3 mount adaptor then you might be happy to know that Zone, Expand Flexible Spot and Lock-on AF focus areas are now supported.
Unfortunately this firmware version has also introduced a check for third party batteries like Wasabi. If a third party battery is detected you’ll get a warning message that you have to OK, you then lose the percentage indicator next to the battery. It appears Sony is going to war with third party battery suppliers.
Firmware Version 2.00
Version 2.00 provides the following benefits and improvements:
Support of “SEL400F28GM”and “SEL24F14GM”
- Optimization of the optical image stabilization performance, and addition of a new image stabilization mode of the lens (Mode 3)(Only “SEL400F28GM”).
- Addition of a Function Ring(Lens) to the menu.
Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens, the APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel. setting is assignable to the Function Ring in addition to Power Focus.
- Addition of [Aperture Drive in AF] setting in the menu.
*Using the lens “SEL400F28GM” or “SEL24F14GM”, when [Silent priority] is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera. Noise should be kept to a minimum. Note that Auto Focus may become slower when [Silent priority] is selected.
- [AF Track Sens] can be assigned to a custom key.
- When used with the LA-EA3 mount adaptor [link to product page], all focus areas are supported.
Note : Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF.
Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when [File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].
- Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
- Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures.
Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
- When shooting with a flash in an environment with flickering light sources, the stability of the exposure is improved.
- Improvement of managing continuously shot images as a group.
Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.
Firmware Version 1.01
Version 1.01 provided the following benefits:
- Resolves an issue where blinking pixels may appear at bottom edge of the camera setting and with certain lenses, especially during XAVC S 4K (PAL 25p) recording
- Resolves a rare issue where the touch panel cannot be operated
- Improves overall stability of the camera