The latest firmware for the Sony a7 III is now version 3.00. This update adds some really big improvements including Animal Eye AF, Real Time Eye AF and Interval Shooting.
Here’s a full list of the improvement with firmware version 3.0:
- Adds real-time Eye AF for animals 
- Enables the possibility to operate the real-time EYE AF by half-pressing the shutter button, or by pressing the AF-ON button
- Addition of the interval shooting function
- Allows the operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT
- [MENU] can be assigned to a custom key
- [MENU] tab operation with the Fn button
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
It is not possible to detect simultaneously human and animal eyes.
Eye detection may not be possible depending on the environment, animal type or the movement of the animal.
You can download the firmware from Sony’s support sites:
Previous a7 III Firmware Versions
Firmware Version 2.10
Benefits and Improvements in Sony a7III Firmware Version 2.10
1. Improves the following:
In rare cases, the camera may stop functioning while writing RAW data onto an SD card that has already been used multiple times
- This may also cause abnormalities in the files managing the images, preventing the images from displaying on the camera.
- No image data in the memory card will be corrupted or deleted aside from the data that was being written at the time the interruption occurred.
2. Solves the problem caused by a specific third-party memory card, which would not be recognised by Sony cameras
3. Improvement of the overall stability of the camera
Firmware Version 2.00
Firmware version 2.00 was suspended. See here for details.
Firmware version 2.00 adds support for the new FE 400mm F2.8 GM lens as well as the new FE 24mm F1.4 GM lens. And if you are using the LA-EA3 mount adaptor then you might be happy to know that Zone, Expand Flexible Spot and Lock-on AF focus areas are now supported.
Unfortunately this firmware version has also introduced a check for third party batteries like Wasabi. If a third party battery is detected you’ll get a warning message that you have to OK, you then lose the percentage indicator next to the battery. It appears Sony is going to war with third party battery suppliers.
Firmware Version 2.00
Version 2.00 provides the following benefits and improvements:
Support of “SEL400F28GM”and “SEL24F14GM”
- Optimization of the optical image stabilization performance, and addition of a new image stabilization mode of the lens (Mode 3)(Only “SEL400F28GM”).
- Addition of a Function Ring(Lens) to the menu.
Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens, the APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel. setting is assignable to the Function Ring in addition to Power Focus.
- Addition of [Aperture Drive in AF] setting in the menu.
*Using the lens “SEL400F28GM” or “SEL24F14GM”, when [Silent priority] is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera. Noise should be kept to a minimum. Note that Auto Focus may become slower when [Silent priority] is selected.
- [AF Track Sens] can be assigned to a custom key.
- When used with the LA-EA3 mount adaptor [link to product page], all focus areas are supported.
Note : Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF.
Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when [File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].
- Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
- Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures.
Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
- When shooting with a flash in an environment with flickering light sources, the stability of the exposure is improved.
- Improvement of managing continuously shot images as a group.
Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.
Firmware Version 1.01
Version 1.01 provided the following benefits:
- Resolves an issue where blinking pixels may appear at bottom edge of the camera setting and with certain lenses, especially during XAVC S 4K (PAL 25p) recording
- Resolves a rare issue where the touch panel cannot be operated
- Improves overall stability of the camera
My Sony a7 III Resources
Please Help Me to Keep Alpha Shooters Going, Growing and Ad Free.
I don’t like to ask for PayPal donations but there are two very easy and completely free ways that you can support this site.
1. By purchasing your gear through the affiliate links (denoted with *) on this site or visiting the Alpha Shooters Amazon Store (US Only) to check out my recommended Sony Alpha Gear and Accessories. If you buy something after clicking a link I may receive a small commission, but don’t worry as the price still remains the same for you.
2. By sharing this sites content that you find helpful on social media, in forums, or linking back to it from your own website.
If you do buy through my links or share my content, then thank you very much for your kind support and I look forward to seeing your shots in one of the many Alpha Shooters Facebook Groups that I run.