Sony has released firmware version 4.01 for the Sony a7III, this is now the latest firmware for the a7III.
Firmware v4.01 Benefits & Improvements
- Fixes an issue where the battery level indicator may not be displayed correctly when using a vertical grip
You can download the latest firmware from your local Sony support website. The below links will take you to the correct page to download the firmware. Make sure that you download the correct firmware for your computer (Windows or Mac) and read the installation instructions.
For Mac users only macOS 10.14, 10.15 and 11 are supported. You also need to install the Sony Camera Driver first. Unfortunately the Sony Camera Driver is not supported yet with Apple M1 chips.
For Windows users 10 and 8.1 are supported.
Make sure your camera battery is fully charged and also use the USB cable supplied with the camera, other cables may not work.
It took around 20 minutes to update this firmware on my a7III. This is the longest I’ve ever known a firmware update to take!
Sony a7III Resources
Previous Firmware Versions
- Adds new features of FTP transfer
- Allows you to transfer still images during shoot and playback operations.
- Adds the following FTP transfer functions:
- Allows you to narrow down the transfer target, such as protected images or non-transferred images, and transfer the images together as a batch.
- Allows you to transfer only the image being played back by pressing the custom key.
- Allows you to transfer all images automatically while shooting.
- Allows you to select the setting to transfer both RAW file and JPEG taken in RAW+JPEG format to an FTP server.
- Update the destination folder configuration.
- Allows you to register up to nine FTP servers. (Previous was up to 3)
- Allows you to change the destination folder configuration on the FTP server:
- Save image data directly under the folder that you choose.
- Register the media card slot number in the folder configuration.
- Register the folder configuration same as your camera.
- Improved operability of FTP transfer function.
- Allows you to set items under Server Setting by using the smartphone application Transfer & Tagging add-on.
- Improves the overall stability of the camera.
In my Sony a7III Memory Card Guide where I speed tested a number of SD cards in-camera, I noticed that the Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II SD Cards were not writing uncompressed raw files as fast as they should have been with firmware v3.10. I’ve now run my tests again with v4.00 and the write speeds have increased from 107.27MB/s to 132.50MB/s, but this is still short of the 147.53MB/s achieved by the now obsolete Sony SF-G UHS-II SD Cards (the none Tough version). So something has definitely been tweaked here even though Sony has not specifically mentioned it.
- Enables use of “My Menu” to save or load custom camera settings
- Adds the “External Flash Set” function:
This function allows you to configure the settings of an attached flash or wireless radio commander (both sold separately) directly from the camera.
Compatible Flash models:
HVL-F60RM (with flash firmware version 2.00 or later)
HVL-F45RM (with flash firmware version 2.00 or later)
Compatible wireless radio commander:
Note:The functionality will be enabled after the upcoming wireless radio commander firmware version. Please refer to the Help Guide for more information.
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
Sony has released firmware v3.01 for the Sony a7 III. Unlike the recent v3.00 update v3.01 only “Improves the overall stability of the camera” according to Sony.
Previous to v3.01 firmware version 3.00 was released for the Sony a7 III. This update added some really big improvements including Animal Eye AF, Real Time Eye AF and Interval Shooting.
Here’s a full list of the improvement with firmware version 3.0:
- Adds real-time Eye AF for animals 
- Enables the possibility to operate the real-time EYE AF by half-pressing the shutter button, or by pressing the AF-ON button
- Addition of the interval shooting function
- Allows the operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT
- [MENU] can be assigned to a custom key
- [MENU] tab operation with the Fn button
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
It is not possible to detect simultaneously human and animal eyes.
Eye detection may not be possible depending on the environment, animal type or the movement of the animal.
Benefits and Improvements in Sony a7III Firmware Version 2.10
1. Improves the following:
In rare cases, the camera may stop functioning while writing RAW data onto an SD card that has already been used multiple times
- This may also cause abnormalities in the files managing the images, preventing the images from displaying on the camera.
- No image data in the memory card will be corrupted or deleted aside from the data that was being written at the time the interruption occurred.
2. Solves the problem caused by a specific third-party memory card, which would not be recognised by Sony cameras
3. Improvement of the overall stability of the camera
Firmware version 2.00 was suspended. See here for details.
Firmware version 2.00 adds support for the new FE 400mm F2.8 GM lens as well as the new FE 24mm F1.4 GM lens. And if you are using the LA-EA3 mount adaptor then you might be happy to know that Zone, Expand Flexible Spot and Lock-on AF focus areas are now supported.
Unfortunately this firmware version has also introduced a check for third party batteries like Wasabi. If a third party battery is detected you’ll get a warning message that you have to OK, you then lose the percentage indicator next to the battery. It appears Sony is going to war with third party battery suppliers.
Support of “SEL400F28GM”and “SEL24F14GM”
- Optimization of the optical image stabilization performance, and addition of a new image stabilization mode of the lens (Mode 3)(Only “SEL400F28GM”).
- Addition of a Function Ring(Lens) to the menu.
Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens, the APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel. setting is assignable to the Function Ring in addition to Power Focus.
- Addition of [Aperture Drive in AF] setting in the menu.
*Using the lens “SEL400F28GM” or “SEL24F14GM”, when [Silent priority] is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera. Noise should be kept to a minimum. Note that Auto Focus may become slower when [Silent priority] is selected.
- [AF Track Sens] can be assigned to a custom key.
- When used with the LA-EA3 mount adaptor [link to product page], all focus areas are supported.
Note : Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF.
Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when [File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].
- Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
- Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures.
Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
- When shooting with a flash in an environment with flickering light sources, the stability of the exposure is improved.
- Improvement of managing continuously shot images as a group.
Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.
Version 1.01 provided the following benefits:
- Resolves an issue where blinking pixels may appear at bottom edge of the camera setting and with certain lenses, especially during XAVC S 4K (PAL 25p) recording
- Resolves a rare issue where the touch panel cannot be operated
- Improves overall stability of the camera