Sony A6400 Best flash for beginner?

Graemey

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Unfortunately due to Coronavirus my daughter is having to graduate from home, and I’ve been elevated to professional photographer. A daunting task given I’m still relatively new to photography and very new to my A6400.
I’ve done quite a bit of research and most suggest the Godox 860, but that just looks huge and not something I’d use very often.
The Sony 45 and 60 are just too expensive for what I need.
Does anyone have any suggestions - eg Meike 320? I don’t want to spend a lot, but at the same time I’ll spend more if it helps me get better results.

..... Does anyone have any suggestions - eg Meike 320? I don’t want to spend a lot, but at the same time I’ll spend more if it helps me get better results.
The Sony 20, 28 & 32 you have probably already looked at for a more reasonable price, but I have no experience w those three flashes. I swear by my HVL-F43 but it's pricey new, but good used ones are ~ $150. I prefer Sony native products (over Godox) as they are designed/tuned for Sony cams. The TTL qualities on my 43 are flawless; it's hard to mess up the shot and exposure is perfect. A quick check at Amazon showed the used 43 for $150 -- so it's out there used. Not sure if 3rd party vendors fulfilled by Amazon have 30-day return policy... probably yes.

Amazon used 43

Shot in total darkness, AUTO mode:

Attachments

• DSC06096 Night Landing sign.jpg
    DSC06096 Night Landing sign.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The Sony 20, 28 & 32 you have probably already looked at for a more reasonable price, but I have no experience w those three flashes. I swear by my HVL-F43 but it's pricey new, but good used ones are ~ $150. I prefer Sony native products (over Godox) as they are designed/tuned for Sony cams. The TTL qualities on my 43 are flawless; it's hard to mess up the shot and exposure is perfect. A quick check at Amazon showed the used 43 for $150 -- so it's out there used. Not sure if 3rd party vendors fulfilled by Amazon have 30-day return policy... probably yes.

Amazon used 43

Shot in total darkness, AUTO mode:
Any experience with the HVF L28 and a6400? Any workaround to use Manual with this combo?

I know this thread is a year old and some of the people who posted no longer frequent this site, but I have decided to get a Godox TT350S as a first flash for my a6400. For just under $100, I know this will work with my camera in TTL mode and there is a display so I can change settings on the flash rather than rely on the camera which does not have a flash menu. I look forward to experimenting with this at family events and maybe doing some food/beverage photography at home.

Back