Followers
Following
Name
Justin Childress
Country
United States
City/State
Carthage, NC
I just got in the Wimberley Monogimbal head and it is awesome! I really think I will like this setup when hiking around places like Pungo Wildlife Refuge because it is super lightweight paired with the Sirui P306 monopod. It also seems to work great on a tripod. This head is super smooth! It may seem awkward but it really isn’t. With the camera mounted on the left side, you naturally push against the monopod when holding the camera and lens. What I like best is you don’t have to tighten any knobs or worry about the lens flopping if you let go of the camera. It’s definitely worth a look if you are wanting a lightweight hiking setup for your large telephoto lenses!
838F2981-9999-4EFC-A849-BA589A4CF91C.jpeg
DEBC56F4-6E04-48E5-A0D1-9B1EBA94241A.jpeg
90F895E8-56C2-4D32-A38F-E297C2C9AFFB.jpeg
56E3D99C-F8B0-4064-A9B0-ADEE5BA8A89E.jpeg

Yes, it looks the goods.
I was contemplating one till I read on their website that an attached monopod needed to be rated to at least 3x the rig weight. That's 13 kg in my case and rules out what I have.

Yes, it looks the goods.
I was contemplating one till I read on their website that an attached monopod needed to be rated to at least 3x the rig weight. That's 13 kg in my case and rules out what I have.
Idk why they put that. My camera and lens weighs under 6 lbs and the monopod is rated at 17.6 lbs. I don’t think I’ll have a problem.

An assessment of the stresses involved in carrying it over your shoulder at a guess.

For me, the big concern would be that I'd have to always be hanging on to the monopod -- one reason I don't really like to use one in the first place. With a tripod, at least I can step away from the setup for a moment or two if needed and I can easily swap out the memory cards or battery or do something else while the camera and lens stay nice and stable right on the gimbal and tripod.

For me, the big concern would be that I'd have to always be hanging on to the monopod -- one reason I don't really like to use one in the first place. With a tripod, at least I can step away from the setup for a moment or two if needed and I can easily swap out the memory cards or battery or do something else while the camera and lens stay nice and stable right on the gimbal and tripod.
True but I don’t want the extra weight of the tripod for long hikes.

I just got in the Wimberley Monogimbal head and it is awesome! I really think I will like this setup when hiking around places like Pungo Wildlife Refuge because it is super lightweight paired with the Sirui P306 monopod. It also seems to work great on a tripod. This head is super smooth! It may seem awkward but it really isn’t. With the camera mounted on the left side, you naturally push against the monopod when holding the camera and lens. What I like best is you don’t have to tighten any knobs or worry about the lens flopping if you let go of the camera. It’s definitely worth a look if you are wanting a lightweight hiking setup for your large telephoto lenses!View attachment 975View attachment 976View attachment 977View attachment 978
Certainly interested in this, thanks for the photos
- let us know how it works out for you with the 200-600mm.

I'm going to pop into Park Cameras and have a look at it, and see if I could get on with it. Having the camera to the side of a monopod definitely seems odd.

True but I don’t want the extra weight of the tripod for long hikes.
Have you considered using a peak design CF tripod? That's rated 20lb and very light weight. But it has an attached ball head which can be swapped for an adapter to use other heads.

Which ball head do you use? Does that combination with tripod allow sufficient clearanceto swing the camera up down left right without hitting the legs?

Thanks again.

Have you considered using a peak design CF tripod? That's rated 20lb and very light weight. But it has an attached ball head which can be swapped for an adapter to use other heads.

Which ball head do you use? Does that combination with tripod allow sufficient clearanceto swing the camera up down left right without hitting the legs?

Thanks again.
I use the Vanguard BH-300 ball head and yes I have full range motion with the camera and lens. I’m happy with my Benro tripod and personally I think the peak designs tripod is wayyyyyy overpriced.

I also find the Wimberly MH100 to be money well spent. I turn the collar the other way, on the left. Then when hiking I tuck the monopod up under my left arm, camera strap around my neck. Hopefully the trail isn't too twisty or have too much brush around it. I put a cage on my camera, attached a plate to it, then can use the mh100 with small lenses as well. The smoothness and strength are outstanding. No creep whatsoever.

nice compact solution, thanks for sharing!

Back