Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
My wife has informed me that she booked us in to a hotel at the end of Marathon key in FL in August. We'll be there 2 days post new moon. lightpollutionmap.info makes it look like somewhere between Bortle 4 and 5. My question is, do you think its worth it to try some Milkyway shots or should I just keep the margaritas flowing?

I'll be right here:
Screenshot.jpg

Also, what website is that screenshot from?

I appreciate that detail! Did you use PhotoPills app or any other planner for your shot?
I have a Sigma 16mm (24mm full frame equivalent) f1.4 that I think would do a pretty good job of it. So weather and sobriety permitting, I'll probably give it a go.
Yes, PhotoPills and an alarm clock set for 4:30 in the morning 🤣

My wife has informed me that she booked us in to a hotel at the end of Marathon key in FL in August. We'll be there 2 days post new moon. lightpollutionmap.info makes it look like somewhere between Bortle 4 and 5. My question is, do you think its worth it to try some Milkyway shots or should I just keep the margaritas flowing?

I'll be right here:
View attachment 41374
Hell yes, Bortle 4 or 5, I dream of that! And why not do both!

@etiennescamera should I have the "Long Exposure Noise Reduction" switched on or off? I believe I have it off by default.

@etiennescamera should I have the "Long Exposure Noise Reduction" switched on or off? I believe I have it off by default.
yes, for all long exposure astro shots, if you are going to stack images, my understanding is that you need to switch off LENR.

yes, for all long exposure astro shots, if you are going to stack images, my understanding is that you need to switch off LENR.
If I did only a single exposure, would I still want that setting off?

I have it turned off, but after reading about it a bit, I think it may be worth turning on when doing single exposure as opposed to stacking, when you should have it turned off. Will try next time and see how it turns out.

for a single exposure, my guess is that you would leave it LEAR on. I've done that for single exposures of the moon and they come out OK.

Why have bortles when you can do bottles? You can have your quark and eat it too!

It’s a wonderful idea. May the weather be in your favour.

With the wider focal lengths like 14mm I’ve find I easily get single frame Milky Way shots at F1.8 over 20 seconds… they seem overexposed at 30

Back