Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
I am new to Sony with an A74 (and grip) and 200-600 lens. My shorter lenses are all Nikon but one of them got dropped and will require a pricey repair, so I am looking at the Sony alternatives. I hope some of you experienced Sony users can explain the difference between the various 16-35 lenses.

16-35 f2.8 GM - Obviously it's f2.8, which I don't think I need, but is it noticeably sharper than the f4 versions?

16-35 f4 Varrio-Tessar - How is a Vario-Tessar different from a conventional G (or GM) lens? Is it just as sharp?

16-35 f4 PZ - This seems to be designed for video users, and I don't shoot video, so I assume this would be pointless for a stills shooter?

Not from me. I did a LOT of research before I bought the Tamron 17-28/2.8. I really wanted the reach of the 16-35 to mimic my old Leica 8-18 for M-4/3. After reading and watching review after review and looking at samples until I was blue in the face, I ended up getting the Tamron.

The Tamron is noticeably sharper than the f/4 version across the frame. It stands easily with the f/2.8 in IQ, and costs about $800 on sale, $900 regular price. Compared to the cost of the Sony lenses it's a no-brainer. Even if the 2.8 were slightly sharper (and it would take a lot to prove it to me), it's not worth 3X the price.

Here's a folder from my trip to Autorama. I shot the entire event in room lighting, handheld, on an A7 IV.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzEPos

A sample from that folder:
DSC00590 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Lovely images from the auto show.

In my opinion, and as an owner of the Sony 16-35 f2.8 there is a significant difference in image quality between an f4 and f2.8 lens.
light physics would generally dictate that based on the much multiplied quantum of light the camera sensor will receive, but that
said, lens quality can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even unit to unit from the same manufacturer(manufacturing
tolerance)

To cut to the chase I would recommend the Sony 16-35 over the other 2 lenses you reference, the Vario I am not familiar with but
can be checked at many reviewer site(sites) on the INet, the Sony PZ model, as you state, has been developed for videographers
etc and from the reviews I have looked at, the practical image quality is not consistent across the lens focal length and aperture
range.

Once again, in my opinion and as you are no doubt aware, the A74 is unforgiving at such high resolutions and +f2.8 apertures, as
well as shooting set-up and lighting levels(particularily from the standpoint of light collection of a f2.8 over f4 and above will work
against you. The A74 which also does not have good low light performance..

As always the use case that you have for a 16-35 specifically and genre of images you wish to take will also impact on
your ultimate selection.

Their 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 have both been replaced now with a lighter and improved version 2. Does anyone think they will soon replace the 16-35 f2.8 with a version 2?

Back