Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So today (10:00 EDT, 15:00 BST, 22:00 CST) we should see the new Sony A7C II and A7CR along with the Sony FE 16-35 mm f/2,8 GM II lens announced.

If you are really keen you can watch the announcement video below.

SAR leaked some images of the new lens and the A7CR this morning but I won't post that link since it looks like he just took them from another site and put his watermark on them. The original article and images can be found here: https://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/prylnytt/sony-fe-16-35-mm-f.htm

So who's been saving for today or are you all holding out for the illusive A9 III? :)

Let's see how this go. I expect another meltdown as most people will center about what the new gear lacks instead of what it actually is and features.

I'm waiting it out. These cameras don't interest me, but I will say that the lens is interesting for people like Clint, who shoot landscape/street.
Camera wise I'm going to go to a WEX open day and annoy them by trying all the cameras and then buying an import 😆

I'm waiting it out. These cameras don't interest me, but I will say that the lens is interesting for people like Clint, who shoot landscape/street.
Camera wise I'm going to go to a WEX open day and annoy them by trying all the cameras and then buying an import 😆

Yes, but my 16-35mm PZ is compact and super sharp with next to no CA! I absolutely don't NEED a replacement...

I emphasise need... 🤐

Having checked out the spec, I think it's going to be a very good landscape and street camera, that's for sure. It's definitely not suited to wildlife, too slow a frame rate for a modern day camera at 8fps.

I am going to do some shooting with my A6000 and Tamron 50-400 to see how much the form factor sucks. 8FPS is perfect for me.

Even with a terrible case of GAS :D I am not preordering any of these.
All seem to be excellent at what they do but I cannot justify the expense.

For the money - I’d rather get a clean low mileage used A1 vs. the A7CR.

Every time I use that camera it just blows me away even after a couple of years.

After living with the stacked sensor benefits with no rolling shutter to speak of, the EVF, 50mp and prodigious speed not to mention dual cf-a card slots and joystick I don’t want to go backwards just to get the enhanced subject recognition which is admittedly awesome in the A7R5 assuming it’ll be similar in the new bodies.

And just for my man @alexpler - I don’t love the looks of them either. Lacking in that department for me too. :D

Even with a terrible case of GAS :D I am not preordering any of these.
All seem to be excellent at what they do but I cannot justify the expense.

For the money - I’d rather get a clean low mileage used A1 vs. the A7CR.

Every time I use that camera it just blows me away even after a couple of years.

After living with the stacked sensor benefits with no rolling shutter to speak of, the EVF, 50mp and prodigious speed not to mention dual cf-a card slots and joystick I don’t want to go backwards just to get the enhanced subject recognition which is admittedly awesome in the A7R5 assuming it’ll be similar in the new bodies.

And just for my man @alexpler - I don’t love the looks of them either. Lacking in that department for me too. :D
Where can you get a clean low-mileage A1 for $4k? You're at least $1K away.

A7CII is $800 more than the a6700 and aside from the full frame sensor, has much of the same features. Not to mention, moving to full frame would mean more expensive lenses. I just made up my mind to stick with APSC...

@Brownie Every once in a while someone gets aggressive with A1 pricing. They will continue to drop with new releases. FM is a great place for scoring used gear. Here's one example.

@Brownie Every once in a while someone gets aggressive with A1 pricing. They will continue to drop with new releases. FM is a great place for scoring used gear. Here's one example.

No warranty. MPB, UsedPhotoPro, KEH, Camera Exchange, etc. all have 180 warranties. Even B&H offers a warranty on used.

Exciting news today! I probably will trade in my A7C for one of these, most likely the A7CR. I'm not going to rush into things, though, I'll let the initial preordering and early days frenzy cool down first and wait until I can actually handle one in a store. I'm pretty happy about the specs on both. Given the size of these camera bodies, it would have been difficult for them to have provided two memory card slots. I am surprised, though, that they didn't make the card slot in the A7CR one which would work with CFE Type A cards, which I would have preferred, but it's not a big deal. For me the number one new feature had to be the front dial. Although the A7C is a nice little camera, it has frustrated me with its lack of a front dial.

That new GM II version of the 16-35mm sounds really tempting, too, especially for a street or travel camera. Methinks that this is going to be an expensive autumn......

No warranty. MPB, UsedPhotoPro, KEH, Camera Exchange, etc. all have 180 warranties. Even B&H offers a warranty on used.
Maybe I’m just lucky but I’ve bought maybe 6-7 used bodies over the years and haven’t had any issues.

No warranty for me on something like that isn’t a dealbreaker.

In my experience if electronics break the problem usually manifests itself early on.

Maybe I’m just lucky but I’ve bought maybe 6-7 used bodies over the years and haven’t had any issues.

No warranty for me on something like that isn’t a dealbreaker.

In my experience if electronics break the problem usually manifests itself early on.
I've bought used and had no problems, but I've also had to send bodies and lenses back to MPB and KEH. Had I bought from an individual over a forum, I'd have been out the money in most cases. You're correct, you've been lucky!

I've bought used and had no problems, but I've also had to send bodies and lenses back to MPB and KEH. Had I bought from an individual over a forum, I'd have been out the money in most cases. You're correct, you've been lucky!
Truthfully I've been more disappointed buying used stuff from KEH and B&H than I have with private parties.
I've had to return a couple of used items to B&H and I should have returned one to KEH but kept it anyway.

Reviews are more enthusiastic about the A7CII which corrects many of the aspects which were criticised in the original A7C. It can be a great bigseller.

On the other hand, to my surprise A7CR has more lukewarm reviews, specially on the video side, as the high resolution presents many problems with video and even moiré effect.

As an original A7C owner I sure will miss the new menus, more capable touchscreen and enhanced AF with AI of the new A7CII. For me a7c is the almost perfect travel/street camera, so with those enhancements it's unbeatable. Wishing it the best of successes.

Last edited:
The A7CR did not get the A7RV screen mount, which is a shame (understandable, but a shame). And it still has the 2.something M dot EVF. Given I have all the functionality of the A7CR in an A7RV, and an A6700 for when I want small, I am not interested in buying an A7CR.

I don't know how the pricing lines up, but if the A7CR is significantly cheaper than the A7RV, and you can live with the lower res EVF (I use the EVF on the A7RV for MF sometimes, so the resolution matters!), then the A7CR could suit you. It seems to have all the internal functionality, just falling short on the externals. I was a bit amused to see that it sports a single SD slot - the predictions of dual slot, or single CFeA/SD came to naught :)

The A7CR did not get the A7RV screen mount, which is a shame (understandable, but a shame). And it still has the 2.something M dot EVF. Given I have all the functionality of the A7CR in an A7RV, and an A6700 for when I want small, I am not interested in buying an A7CR.

I don't know how the pricing lines up, but if the A7CR is significantly cheaper than the A7RV, and you can live with the lower res EVF (I use the EVF on the A7RV for MF sometimes, so the resolution matters!), then the A7CR could suit you. It seems to have all the internal functionality, just falling short on the externals. I was a bit amused to see that it sports a single SD slot - the predictions of dual slot, or single CFeA/SD came to naught :)

I think they've done well to deliver the performance of the RV at a lower price point though. It's quite attractive for that price. I do far favour the industrial look of Sony's full size bodies though, I've always loved the sharp lines of them. 🙂

I was committed to trading my a7c in for a new a7cR mainly for the ability to crop more tightly. Now I've seen the pre order price at WEX of £3200, I'm questioning my thinking.

Compact and lightweight is what I'm looking for but given that I could buy an a7rV for 550 less imported, I'm questioning the logic.

I'll wait a while and see what happens to pricing.

I was committed to trading my a7c in for a new a7cR mainly for the ability to crop more tightly. Now I've seen the pre order price at WEX of £3200, I'm questioning my thinking.

Compact and lightweight is what I'm looking for but given that I could buy an a7rV for 550 less imported, I'm questioning the logic.

if you did buy the full A7RV you’d get several advantages that I enjoy. I’d list them, but you already know about them :) And if it’s cheaper - mega-win! I could never recommend paying more for the A7CR than for the A7RV.

Did anyone notice if the A7CR got the full WiFi connection of the A7RV? I think it missed the MIMO part?

Are you considering the taxes in customs? If you are unlucky they might be much more than those 550.

Are you considering the taxes in customs? If you are unlucky they might be much more than those 550.
Not an issue. There are two major importers in the UK, e-infinity and Panamoz. Both are excellent, both Kev and I have dealt with them for years. EI offer 12 months warranty and Panamoz 3 years, but are a smigde more expensive. Duty is paid and they pay the relevant taxes themselves. Delivery of late has taken 7 to 10 days.

Whilst I want to support the high street shops, having had one myself for a decade, money talks and on some items I have saved over a thousand pounds. I also think secondhand tech prices in the UK are through the roof at the moment, both importers wipe the floor with new versus second hand equivalents.

Man, I nailed the price on the CII, I was dead on. I was waaaay off on the CR though, by $500. I still can't believe Sony priced it so low. Maybe this heralds a new era of more realistic pricing?

I suspect the A7CR is priced the way it is because it does only offer one memory card slot and uses SDs rather than CFE Type A cards, and also there is no joy stick (can't really be on a smaller body like this one) and other features which are available on the higher priced bodies. Just a guess, anyway....

Back