Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan

Other sources now confirmed that indeed Sony will announce three products on August 29:

1) Sony A7cII:
  • 33MP sensor of the A7IV
  • Bionz XR, AI processor
  • 5 stops IBIS
  • 10fps
  • 100-51200 ISO
  • 10 bit 4k60p, S-Cinetone
  • 2,36 milion dot EVF
  • 3 inch fully articulating LCD screen
  • 759 AF points
  • Lens breathing compensation
  • One slot only
2) Sony A7cR:
  • Same body as A7cII
  • 61MP sensor of the A7rV
  • 8k recording like the A7rV
  • 3 inch fully articulating LCD screen
  • One slot only
  • and other specs equal to the A7rV
3) Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 GMII:
  • Optically superior to the first generation lens
  • More compact
Two sources also shared their first hands-on impression:

Source 1:
Holding it in my hand, it felt like the FX30 and the thickness looks like my FX30, but in a A7C type body (not a cageless design).
Source 2:

It’s absolutely feels great in your hand

So they will have the same EVF as my a6300 (that is also 2,36 million dot)?

At least the rest of the specs would mean an improvement.. ;)

Last edited:
I'd be curious to hear from current a7C owners, about how much smaller this camera body feels compared to the latest FF bodies (such as a7iv, a7Rv, etc). I currently have the a7Rv, and I'm interested in a second body as a smaller walk-around camera, perhaps using APS-C lenses, and was on the sidelines waiting for a long time for the a6700, but it seems almost the same size as the a7C. So now I'm thinking of looking at the a7CR (*), use it in crop mode with APS-C lenses for walking around, and yet still be able to have the FF when I wanted it.

* - assumes the a7CR is announced on Aug 29, and that it will be similar size to the a7C

Last edited:
I'd be curious to hear from current a7C owners, about how much smaller this camera body feels compared to the latest FF bodies (such as a7iv, a7Rv, etc). I currently have the a7Rv, and I'm interested in a second body as a smaller walk-around camera, perhaps using APS-C lenses, and was on the sidelines waiting for a long time for the a6700, but it seems almost the same size as the a7C. So now I'm thinking of getting looking at the a7CR (*), use it in crop mode with APS-C lenses for walking around, and yet still be able to have the FF when I wanted it.

* - assumes the a7CR is announced on Aug 29, and that it will be similar size to the a7C

I can't compare it to other FF bodies but it feels compact and light, specially when paired with compact and light lenses. Also it's more discreet than the bigger FF bodies. I travel a lot and people notice other photographer's activity with their A7IV/V/whatever and heavy lenses, while my A7C usually goes unnoticed. That's good for street photography.

However if a front dial is important to you, maybe you can wait for the A7CII or the A7CR (or get the 6700 which is already out and will be the perfect pair with the APSC lenses you want to use). Just keep in mind that the compactness means some compromises have to be done.

So now I'm thinking of getting looking at the a7CR (*), use it in crop mode with APS-C lenses for walking around, and yet still be able to have the FF when I wanted it.

If you've got the budget, that's not a terrible idea. The current A7C is 200g lighter than the A7RV and without the center EVF it lacks the "hump" on top of the camera, so it looks smaller.

I think the pricing will have to be good to persuade people to go for an A7CR over an A7RV - smaller low res EVF and that rear screen immediately put me off. I wonder if the IBIS will be more limited because of the smaller body?

However, I already bought the A7RV, so I am probably not the target market for the camera :)

I think the pricing will have to be good to persuade people to go for an A7CR over an A7RV - smaller low res EVF and that rear screen immediately put me off. I wonder if the IBIS will be more limited because of the smaller body?

However, I already bought the A7RV, so I am probably not the target market for the camera :)
I think people who are predisposed to that style body have no concerns about the difference in price with the RV. This is a totally free camera for Sony, all the R&D has been done on other bodies. Every penny they make will be profit.

The buzz is already what a fantastic travel camera with small primes or compact zooms. I wouldn't be surprised if it outsells the 7cII at this point.

I think the A7C-R will [effectively] be Sony's response to Leica cameras, where you have a rangefinder style, compact body, high MP. I suppose those folks dont care too much about the back screen resolution.... Honestly, it makes sense the more I think about it.

Back screen resolution for me is not a big deal,high resolution is nice to have but i rarely check my images there that closely

Updated specs:

Sony A7cII:
– same Autofocus of the A7rV
– 5 axis stabilization
– 10fps
– Same LCD screen of the A7IV (so not the 4d fully articulating screen of the A7rV)
– 4k60p
– auto framing like the ZV-E1
– 2,36 viewfinder
– one card slot

Sony A7cR:
– same Autofocus of the A7rV
– Same IBIS of the A7rV
– 10fps
– Same 4d fully articulating LCD screen of the A7rV
– 4k60p 10bit 422
– 2,36 viewfinder
– one card slot

The difference between A7cII and A7cR: Sensor, likely the price, A7cR has the 4D fully articulating screen and IBIS of the A7rV. Compared with the A7IV and A7rV the new C series cameras will only have on slot. The A7cR will “loose” the 8K.

Yes, I saw that - having the A7RV screen will be good (if true), especially if it’s 2M instead of 1M. Would still like a better EVF, but I think it’s one of the ways Sony pushes you towards the A7RV :unsure: :cry: ;)

I remain dubious that they can fit the improved IBIS into the smaller body, though. The improved IBIS will have to move the sensor further…

I think they will have SD only - no CFeA, but I don’t think it matters - I have been using the A7RV with a Sony G 256GB card, and it’s plenty fast enough.

Guess we’ll find out the full truth in 2 weeks…

New rumour on pricing (Link):
- A7C2 for €2699
- A7CR for €3599
Not a snowball's chance in hell will they price them that high. That would make the A7cII over $400 more than the A7 IV and the A7cR more than the RV.

Sony's pricing is usually about $4-500 more than the previous iteration. Based on that, my prediction for the A7cII is $2200, which puts it $400 higher than the street price of the A7c and $300 less than the A7 IV.

The A7cR is a little tougher to call. It needs to be lower than the RV, but not so much so that it cannibalizes RV sales. I am going to predict $3499, $500 less than the RV.

Remember, you heard it here first!

Not a snowball's chance in hell will they price them that high. That would make the A7cII over $400 more than the A7 IV and the A7cR more than the RV.

Sony's pricing is usually about $4-500 more than the previous iteration. Based on that, my prediction for the A7cII is $2200, which puts it $400 higher than the street price of the A7c and $300 less than the A7 IV.

The A7cR is a little tougher to call. It needs to be lower than the RV, but not so much so that it cannibalizes RV sales. I am going to predict $3499, $500 less than the RV.

I think this ties in perfectly with your suggestion on how and why SAR is getting rumours and spreading them. They threw this out there for everyone to discuss, it's free publicity. In a week and a half they will announce the price and everyone will be happy because it is lower than expected (or not).

I think this ties in perfectly with your suggestion on how and why SAR is getting rumours and spreading them. They threw this out there for everyone to discuss, it's free publicity. In a week and a half they will announce the price and everyone will be happy because it is lower than expected (or not).
You'll notice that every big release is preceded by overinflated pricing rumors. I actually think Sony puts those out on purpose, for just the reasons you state!

The A7C retail price in Europe is 2200€ for body+lens kit (you can find it cheaper online but it's the official price) so 2699€ for body+lens of the A7CII would fit the pattern you mention.

In Europe the products are more expensive because of taxes. The 20-70mm lens is only 1100$ in the US but 1599€ in Europe.

SAR says it's a 'free' handgrip! :ROFLMAO:

I asked how we know the camera isn't free and the grip is $4,000?

SAR says it's a 'free' handgrip! :ROFLMAO:

I asked how we know the camera isn't free and the grip is $4,000?
Good question! One thing that most likely won't be for free is a charging cable. I read that the a6700 ships without one so I guess these will do so too.

You'll notice that every big release is preceded by overinflated pricing rumors. I actually think Sony puts those out on purpose, for just the reasons you state!
I think SAR is reading your comments as well... According to his latest rumour, the price will be around 2K USD for the A7C2. The handgrip will not be free but 180 USD... :LOL:

Edit: the handgrip is included for "Free" with the A7CR, with the A7C2 you will need to buy it separately

I think SAR is reading your comments as well... According to his latest rumour, the price will be around 2K USD for the A7C2. The handgrip will not be free but 180 USD... :LOL:

Edit: the handgrip is included for "Free" with the A7CR, with the A7C2 you will need to buy it separately
Wait…look…here’s my shocked face…:eek:

Good question! One thing that most likely won't be for free is a charging cable. I read that the a6700 ships without one so I guess these will do so too.

I haven't charged a battery in camera, ever. But then I got a charger with every camera until the A6700. I have two chargers at the moment (came with the A1 and the A7RV), so I'm not troubled. A newly buying the A6700 as their first Sony camera would not have that advantage.

I have four USB-C charging cables that came with devices, I think - one for a MacBook, one for an iPad Pro, and two for Kindles. I also have a lot of data USB-C cables that would work just as well. So there is some validity to the argument that people already have the cables.

At the same time, yes, it's going a bit cheap not to include the cable if you are not including the charger.

I never charge any battery in the camera, while it is nicere to get a charger with the camera I have always bought an extra one so I can charge multiple batteries at the same time. Right now I have 4 chargers for the A1,A7 cameras and two for the RX1RII camera. Unless there is some proprietary connector I already have lots of cables and as to a charging brick I have not received one in a long time. Honestly when the usb or whatever charging brick came with the device I always upgraded to either a smaller, more universal or more powerful one anyway, so I do not miss them.

Official word from Sony: a new camera is coming... What a weird phrasing if they are really announcing two cameras on the same day.

Not if they consider the A7CR a new camera (ie: a new range) and the A7CII a new model in an existing range, so not a completely new camera.

They were touting the announcement of a new camera that wasn't in any of the existing model families.

Not if they consider the A7CR a new camera (ie: a new range) and the A7CII a new model in an existing range, so not a completely new camera.

They were touting the announcement of a new camera that wasn't in any of the existing model families.

In the email that Sony just sent, the text says that they will announce "new products for creators", which is more fitting if they are to announce 2 cameras and 1 lens.

Back