Sony A6700 Announcement + FE 70-200 F4 G II Macro Lens

Ok, enough of this! The new-fangled high res never before seen by man nor imagined in any Sony camera line is supposed to come shortly after this.

I hope shortly isn't 5 months.

Whats the estimated price?

I think $1,500 USD without lens.
$1398 @ BH. I was pretty surprised. Maybe Sony finally caught on and we'll see more reasonable prices on new offerings. I am guessing the Z8 is causing them some pain.

So the confirmed key specs for the a6700 are:
  • 26MP BSI CMOS APS-C sensor
  • Bionz X processor and dedicated 'AI Processing Engine'
  • AF tracking with subject recognition, 759 AF points with 93% coverage
  • 11 fps shooting with mech or electronic shutter
  • Lossless Raw compression option
  • HEIF and HLG Still Image modes
  • 4K up to 60p from 6K capture
  • 4K/120 from 1.58x crop
  • 10-bit video with 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 color
  • S-Cinetone, S-Log3 and HLG profiles
  • Uploadable LUTs
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) output
  • 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi
  • UVC/UAC streaming up to 4K/30
I've added some further details to the blog article and a collection of early reviews.
I'm pretty happy with what has been announced:
I didn't really need dual SD card slot, so now I have a new card and a spare.
The screen and EVF are still an upgrade from what I have, so no complaints there.
The AI features for video (and S-cinetone) are very appreciated.
Only thing I am a little disappointed about is that they didn't make the stabilization (dynamic?) better for handheld video.

$1398 @ BH. I was pretty surprised. Maybe Sony finally caught on and we'll see more reasonable prices on new offerings. I am guessing the Z8 is causing them some pain.
That's a good price!

Wife has insisted I sell some of my "toys" before I put that on our credit card 😅
... but she didn't explicitly tell me no.
Just tell her you've preordered and you will have sold the necessary number of toys before it gets delivered. Then you can ask forgiveness later.

I've just put together a comparison between the a6600 and the a6700. Please let me know if I've missed anything :)

Here are the key features from the A6700 that you won’t find on the A6600:
  • 26 MP back-illuminated sensor
  • BIONZ XR processor
  • 4k60p zero crop
  • 4k120p with 38% crop
  • S&Q 240 FPS in FHD
  • Active Mode enhanced movie image stabilization
  • UHS-II SD card support
  • Front dial
  • USB 3.2 with Power Delivery
  • 3 Memory Recalls + CAMSET
  • Lossless RAW & HEIF file formats
  • 14-bit RAW when shooting long exposure noise reduction and bulb
  • 1/8000sec shutter speed (electronic)
  • Anti-flicker shooting and variable shutter
  • Import User LUT files
  • 759 PDAF points
  • Real-time tracking of animals, birds, insects, cars/trains, and airplanes
  • In-camera time-lapse creation
  • Auto framing
  • Focus breathing
  • Focus bracketing
  • AF Assist
  • Full-time DMF
  • Touch shutter
  • Bulb timer settings
  • Firmware updates via memory card

Just tell her you've preordered and you will have sold the necessary number of toys before it gets delivered. Then you can ask forgiveness later.
The plausible deniability angle when said toys fail to reach the required bid at auction might raise an eyebrow.

The plausible deniability angle when said toys fail to reach the required bid at auction might raise an eyebrow.
Not if he’s any good at it.

Wait 26Mp! Isn’t that more pixels than the full frame A9ii which is more than double the price?

And 11 frames per second with insect detect - it’s a beast!

Last edited:
Wait 26Mp! Isn’t that more pixels than the full frame A9ii which is more than double the price?

And 11 frames per second with insect detect - it’s a beast!

And the buffer for jpeg is 1000 pictures. 59 for raw.

The new 70-200 zoom accepts 2x teleconverters, mounted on the 6700 provides a focal length of ~ 600mm.

Now that’s an attractive combo, albeit F8, but then it’s a full macro lens throughout the range to boot.

The retail on the lens is silly pricing at the moment. If I was in the market for a zoom, maybe the 100-400 GM for similar money.

A single SD slot !!!!.....its a no no for anyone who has suffered a SD card failure mid shoot.......as usual Sony doesn't seem to learn.....

My wife doesn't know the price of any gear i own. She had strongly suggested we buy a car and i have been taking her round in circles. If she finds out how much i have spent on photography gear and for just a hobby instead of getting a small car, i will be left:LOL:

Substitute Motorcycle Parts for Camera Gear (I couldn't be arsed to photoshop it
358544312_600485252201826_6430167707763658854_n.jpg

My wife doesn't know the price of any gear i own. She had strongly suggested we buy a car and i have been taking her round in circles. If she finds out how much i have spent on photography gear and for just a hobby instead of getting a small car, i will be left:LOL:
Camera equipment is better for the environment

The 70-200mm is very interesting ,a shame it comes in at such a tarrif i am looking for something for macro ,and this would be handy in the field ,more so than a 90- or 100mm f2.8 as most subjects require some distance ,quad linear focus motors also, so shows it does not need gm lens label to achieve this ,be great if they put the focus motors in a mk2 200-600mm g lens ,the camera 6700 is what it is competitive against competition in price range ,canon r7 and fuji ,but the admission of not putting a stacked sensor in keeps price lower ,but limits e/s mode and faster frames ,

^Personally, the 6700 is nowhere near the spec of the r7 Canon and I have no idea why Sony are sticking to this mini Camera, non stacked sensor format. They are missing the target demographic IMO.

^Personally, the 6700 is nowhere near the spec of the r7 Canon and I have no idea why Sony are sticking to this mini Camera, non stacked sensor format. They are missing the target demographic IMO.
Sony continues to miss the boat, although I'm wondering now if this new hi-res camera that's not part of any current line is going to be a 40 +/- MP APS-C to compete with Canon and Fuji. The fabled A7000? Could be one reason Sony released the 6700 at the price point they did.

Sony continues to miss the boat, although I'm wondering now if this new hi-res camera that's not part of any current line is going to be a 40 +/- MP APS-C to compete with Canon and Fuji. The fabled A7000? Could be one reason Sony released the 6700 at the price point they did.
Now THAT would be fascinating!

Well they need to do something, unless they are completely giving up the APSC market.

I agree, even though I want it.

Now THAT would be fascinating!
SAR said in one post that it's supposed to follow the A6700 soon, so a delay while you're saving your shekels and trying to get permission from your brutally cruel wife :p may not be a bad thing after all.

This actually makes a lot of sense! Throw in a stacked sensor and the body of the a9ii and I will even consider to preorder :ROFLMAO:

SAR said in one post that it's supposed to follow the A6700 soon, so a delay while you're saving your shekels and trying to get permission from your brutally cruel wife :p may not be a bad thing after all.
Listen, you joke, but this is how I ended up with an a6400 and not a6600: I bought too soon, not knowing better was literally going to be released 2 months after my purchase date.

Back