Sony A6700 Announcement + FE 70-200 F4 G II Macro Lens

The 70-200mm is very interesting ,a shame it comes in at such a tarrif i am looking for something for macro ,and this would be handy in the field ,more so than a 90- or 100mm f2.8 as most subjects require some distance ,quad linear focus motors also, so shows it does not need gm lens label to achieve this ,be great if they put the focus motors in a mk2 200-600mm g lens ,the camera 6700 is what it is competitive against competition in price range ,canon r7 and fuji ,but the admission of not putting a stacked sensor in keeps price lower ,but limits e/s mode and faster frames ,
It didn’t interest me too much with only 0.5x magnification but then I read it becomes 1x magnification and effectively a proper macro lens when you attach the 2x tele. That could be fun especially with the quad linear focus motors. But it’s definitely a little on the steep side.

It didn’t interest me too much with only 0.5x magnification but then I read it becomes 1x magnification and effectively a proper macro lens when you attach the 2x tele. That could be fun especially with the quad linear focus motors. But it’s definitely a little on the steep side.
certainly a fun lens ,and really nice to use for landscapes /travel that and a 20-70mm f4 lens but they seem really pricey for what they are if you purchased the pair it would be 3k for them ,where as the tamron 28-200mm is only £699 and optically good ,guess you pay a lot for features in sony lenses

I kinda wish Tamron would make an APSC version of that 70-200 to compliment their existing 17-70... I wonder how much smaller than the full frame lens it would be?

I kinda wish Tamron would make an APSC version of that 70-200 to compliment their existing 17-70... I wonder how much smaller than the full frame lens it would be?
Your best bet might be the 28-200. Not too expensive, compact, excellent optically, and an aperture of 2.8-5.6 so not far off an f/4. 42-300mm.

And look, they already have the 6700 on Compact Camera Meter!

67 and tamron.JPG

Nice photos, but not sure what that was in response to? Meta data shows those photos were taken with a selection of different lenses. Still, it DOES show the camera can take some really nice photos.

Your best bet might be the 28-200. Not too expensive, compact, excellent optically, and an aperture of 2.8-5.6 so not far off an f/4. 42-300mm.

And look, they already have the 6700 on Compact Camera Meter!

View attachment 42991
You know what Tim, that would probably make a good all-in-one lens with a bit more reach than either my usual 17-70 or 18-135. I may have to keep my eyes open for deals on that, or the pre-owned market... wait, no if I spend any more money I can't afford the damned camera body. LOL :ROFLMAO:

Nice photos, but not sure what that was in response to? Meta data shows those photos were taken with a selection of different lenses. Still, it DOES show the camera can take some really nice photos.
One of the lenses is the 16-55mm f/2.8 G for APS-C. To be honest, I have not seen much of that lens but the photos are very sharp!

Could be a nice replacement for my 18-105 as I feel like a lot of the photos I take with that are a bit soft.

One of the lenses is the 16-55mm f/2.8 G for APS-C. To be honest, I have not seen much of that lens but the photos are very sharp!

Could be a nice replacement for my 18-105 as I feel like a lot of the photos I take with that are a bit soft.
The Sony 16-55G is a fantastic lens. If you can afford it, get it. I only got the Tamron 17-70 instead of that lens because the sony costed more and the tammy gave me more reach.
The 18-105 is indeed soft, but a great lens for video!

SAR said in one post that it's supposed to follow the A6700 soon, so a delay while you're saving your shekels and trying to get permission from your brutally cruel wife :p may not be a bad thing after all.
Release the shackles and free up your shekels?

I shoot all FF camera bodies and when the 70-200mm GM II came along, I was interested as I had not gone with the first version. Love the GM II, am astonished at its light weight......it has been enjoying its time on my camera bodies.

Anyway, so along comes this newcomer, also a 70-200, but at f/4 and also with a couple special new tricks to offer, especially with regard to macro.... As a macro girl from way, way back, this caught my attention straightaway. Oh, the possibility of 1:1 macro with a 70-200mm lens??!!!! Somewhere along the line as I was reading comments (not sure where, now, but maybe DPR?) one mentioned using an achromat closeup lens.... I sat up and took notice and then immediately went to my cabinet and looked, pulled out the 77mm Canon 5D closeup lens, grabbed my 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II and slipped the closeup filter on..... Experimented.....Oh, yeah!!! This is a nice new option for expanding what kinds of things I'm shooting with the 70-200mm GM II..... :). Not something I'll use all the time but it's nice to have this possibility every now and then!

Shapely.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 500

Spilling Over with Yellow.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 1250

I shoot all FF camera bodies and when the 70-200mm GM II came along, I was interested as I had not gone with the first version. Love the GM II, am astonished at its light weight......it has been enjoying its time on my camera bodies.

Anyway, so along comes this newcomer, also a 70-200, but at f/4 and also with a couple special new tricks to offer, especially with regard to macro.... As a macro girl from way, way back, this caught my attention straightaway. Oh, the possibility of 1:1 macro with a 70-200mm lens??!!!! Somewhere along the line as I was reading comments (not sure where, now, but maybe DPR?) one mentioned using an achromat closeup lens.... I sat up and took notice and then immediately went to my cabinet and looked, pulled out the 77mm Canon 5D closeup lens, grabbed my 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II and slipped the closeup filter on..... Experimented.....Oh, yeah!!! This is a nice new option for expanding what kinds of things I'm shooting with the 70-200mm GM II..... :). Not something I'll use all the time but it's nice to have this possibility every now and then!

View attachment 43030

View attachment 43031
I am considering my options. Should I retain that Sony 90mm Macro lens or trade it for this more versatile zoom?

I suppose I’ll have to wait and see what impulses I react to! 😂

It would be hard for anyone to wrest my beloved 90mm macro away from me and the A7R V! That lens pretty much lives on that camera body, just as she did on the A7R IV from the day back in 2019 they both became members of this household. For me, the 70-200mm f/4 macro would be an addition to my little macro gang rather than a replacement. I'm going to be watching, though, and seeing what users' experiences in the field with this new lens actually are.....

It would be hard for anyone to wrest my beloved 90mm macro away from me and the A7R V! That lens pretty much lives on that camera body, just as she did on the A7R IV from the day back in 2019 they both became members of this household. For me, the 70-200mm f/4 macro would be an addition to my little macro gang rather than a replacement. I'm going to be watching, though, and seeing what users' experiences in the field with this new lens actually are.....
True. The 90mm lens is extraordinarily versatile and I prefer primes. The idea of having a plausible excuse to purchase the 2x teleconverter perhaps underlies my thoughts.

😂

I've experimented with my 70-200mm GM II and a closeup filter, as noted and seen above, but today I made the mistake of reading Dustin Abbott's excellent review of the new 70-200mm f/4 G II lens and it really IS a macro lens!!!! AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!! WOW. (Whispers softly: I want one!). Even before I finished reading the review and staring at the closeup and near-macro images he shared I found myself already thinking of how I could justify this purchase..... I'm just a sucker for macro and closeup capabilities in lenses, always have been. I've been sitting here reminding myself of how much I loved the Nikon 70-180 macro zoom lens that I had years ago....that was a terrific, and indeed very versatile lens, too.

Sony is very clever, not just offering an f/4 updated version of their 70-200mm lens, but also throwing in the extra bits which are likely to tempt even those of us who already have the excellent 70-200 f/2.8 GM..... OK, Sony, you had me at "MACRO......."

In the meantime I am still playing with my 70-200mm f/2.8 and the closeup lens:

Redheaded Stepchild.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 5000

Back