Sony A7CII + A7CR + FE 16-35 F2.8 GM II Announcement

I suspect the A7CR is priced the way it is because it does only offer one memory card slot and uses SDs rather than CFE Type A cards, and also there is no joy stick (can't really be on a smaller body like this one) and other features which are available on the higher priced bodies. Just a guess, anyway....
It's priced that way so as not to infringe on A7R V sales. Minor issues like card slots are irrelevant to retail prices. The features were eliminated from the A7CR specifically to maintain a separation in the two.

Exactly! Much more succinctly expressed than my post! :)

Those who need and want certain features that are available on the A7R V will still go for that camera rather than the smaller one.

Exactly! Much more succinctly expressed than my post! :)

Those who need and want certain features that are available on the A7R V will still go for that camera rather than the smaller one.
I'm not sure I could be happy with the smaller body. I sure would like to be, but past experience with rangefinder style cameras has been mostly negative. It's weird because I'm not bothered by low resolution EFVs or screens, and I don't care if it's a flippy screen or articulating, two things that seem to be at the forefront for many folks. I just cannot get comfortable with the smaller body.

I like the small body of the A7C, as I am petite and have small hands, etc. I'm also perfectly happy with my larger cameras, too. I don't think at this point I could ever go back to the large DSLRs I used to tote around.

For me the appeal of the compact, smaller size (when accompanied by a relatively small, light lens) is in the ease of carrying with one everywhere or using it for travel. I purchased the A7C in anticipation of a trip which unfortunately never happened. In the meantime while using it I was able to pretty quickly realize what I like about it and also since I am accustomed to the larger FF bodies I felt the impact of missing features. A couple of them are important to me, such as the front dial. Didn't realize how much I rely on it until I didn't have one at my fingertips on the A7C!

I don't really care one way or the other about the tilting, articulating, whatever screen -- I rarely use that feature on my cameras. The EVF on the A7C is definitely problematic but purchase of an accessory which slides over the eyepiece has helped that situation. I am looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement in the EVF Sony is offering with the two new versions of the A7C.

Small can be elegant and beautiful, but not always that easy to use. The RX100 VII, while a dandy little camera, surprisingly sophisticated for its size, I don't enjoy using on a daily basis because it is a bit fiddly with the small buttons and such. I can't imagine how someone with larger hands and fingers manages one of those cameras!

Along with the smaller size of the A7C and its new brethren is the fact that it is FF and ILC. That flexibility inherent in being able to change lenses really makes a difference as opposed to being somewhat constrained by a fixed-lens camera. I think that is part of its appeal for many current and potential users.

just have to wonder what prices the import market will make these ,i kind of think £2500 for the a7rc will be a consumers bargain ,especially for a second camera ,the a7c 2 is i feel over priced at intro,make it competitive with canon for around £1500 -£1800 as it is a out and out enthusiast camera ,and nothing proffesional in its make up .

just have to wonder what prices the import market will make these ,i kind of think £2500 for the a7rc will be a consumers bargain ,especially for a second camera ,the a7c 2 is i feel over priced at intro,make it competitive with canon for around £1500 -£1800 as it is a out and out enthusiast camera ,and nothing proffesional in its make up .

In Europe it's the same situation. The A7CII has almost the same price as the A7IV it compares to (and now about 600€ more expensive than the original A7C) while the A7CR seems to be the best option, being under 800€ of the A7RV price.

If the reviews are great it might be a bestseller. The A7CII should be cheaper but I guess they didn't want to compete with the A6700 nor make that much cheaper than the A7CR.

Back