Concered about my Sony 14mm GM

The only thing you're really doing wrong is expecting something different than what that lens was made to do. This has far more to do with your journey through photography and learning your equipment than anything else.

Are you able to upload the original RAW file to a dropbox or other share service? Perhaps some of the members here can process the image so you can see the possibilities with this lens?

I think I said in a previous post I am not a fan of wide angle lenses, this is one reason. The other reason is that the wider the angle, the farther the perceived distance and the less detail. Those really cool wide-angle shots you see in books and magazines are usually stitched. The photographer will set up their camera on a tripod shooting in vertical orientation with a much narrower lens, like 85-135mm for example, although any longer lens can be used. Then they shoot a series of photos of the subject scene, covering it from edge to edge and overlapping. The photos are then stitched to a single image and cropped to the desired aspect ratio. The result is much more detail and a completely different feel to the viewer, as if they're 'there' instead of standing way back.
That raw file is long gone.

I think Tim is right, it might come down to expectations not being realistic. There is a reason why ultra-wide lenses are sometimes called "fish-eye" lenses. While processing can take care of some of that, its really on the end user to understand the characteristics and either frame their composition appropriately or use the characteristics of the lens in a deliberate, artistic manner.

Just curious: Terry, did you ever try something less wide (like a 20 or 24mm prime) before going all in on the 14mm?
My gear is in my signature.

Hi Jeff, what do you mean by sitting to much? Are you getting something different?
Oh, Hell no. This is a fantastic lens. I just need to get out more and use it, along with my other lenses as well. Take a look at these photos. There may be a few more that you haven't seen in this Album.

I love your pictures, Jeff.
Just to clarify, the links above are not my pictures. I wish I could claim they were but.....well, never mind. :cool:

Sure Chris, I would love to your photos, especially with the 10mm.
Sorry Terry, didn't get around to it this weekend. but I'll pop outside and do that today. Lord knows I could use a "mental health break" from work today...

On the topic of how different/wide the range is, here are some samples. All were taken from the same spot, standing, keeping camera level, no tripod.
10mm APSC = 15mm Full Frame equivalent
DSC09074.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS (SEL1018)
  • 10.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

14mm APSC, 21mm FF Equivalent
DSC09073.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

and 18mm APSC, 27mm FF Equivalent
DSC09072.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

On the topic of how camera angle affects end result, here I've taken 3 steps forward and am at 15mm Full Frame Equivalent. I will show first the skewed perspective from my crouched position, then the correct level camera position at standing height.
DSC09075.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 10.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

DSC09076.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 10.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

I've only changed the angle and height of the camera, but look at the vertical lines on the house on left and fence lines on the right. See how elevating the camera and shooting level brings these lines closer to true vertical.
THIS is what I meant by camera angle affecting your results.

Last edited:
On the topic of how camera angle affects end result, here I've taken 3 steps forward and am at 15mm Full Frame Equivalent. I will show first the skewed perspective from my crouched position, then the correct level camera position at standing height.
View attachment 16595
View attachment 16596

I've only changed the angle and height of the camera, but look at the vertical lines on the house on left and fence lines on the right. See how elevating the camera and shooting level brings these lines closer to true vertical.

Thank you so much, Chris. They are beautiful.

View attachment 16595
View attachment 16596

Beautiful! Thank you.

Back