Following
Name
Terry
Country
United States
City/State
Virginia
Hello friends,
I just bought this lens. So, I walked out on my deck and shot my backyard. I don't like the power pole is leanig, because it is really strait. Do I have a bad copy? I'm still wiyhin my 30 day return period. Your help is appreciated.

Attachments

• backyard.JPG
    backyard.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
The picture looks fine to me. I have seen that wide angle lenses are prone to this "leaning effect" (I don't know what the proper name is), and it has everything to do with the angle at which you take the photo. Try this: set camera on tripod, take the same picture, then angle the camera down 10 degrees or so and take another photo for comparison. If you have the grid active on your viewfinder, you should see this difference in real-time.

The picture looks fine to me. I have seen that wide angle lenses are prone to this "leaning effect" (I don't know what the proper name is), and it has everything to do with the angle at which you take the photo. Try this: set camera on tripod, take the same picture, then angle the camera down 10 degrees or so and take another photo for comparison. If you have the grid active on your viewfinder, you should see this difference in real-time.
Thank you Chris,
Hopefully it’s fine. The trees are ok, it’s just that ligh pole leans more to the left. I’ll take another one.

Look at the distortions 12:00 minutes in and again he talks about it at 16:52. The whole video is worth watching (this is one of his more informative videos) and provides useful tips for using that wide lens of yours :)

I don't know about other software but Lightroom handles this for you.

I don't know about other software but Lightroom handles this for you.
To a point, yes. You can correct the perspective in post, but you might lose some of the image in the crop. Wouldn't it be better to understand the nature of the wide angle lens and save yourself some time in editing and/or be more intentional with your perspective when taking the photo?

To a point, yes. You can correct the perspective in post, but you might lose some of the image in the crop. Wouldn't it be better to understand the nature of the wide angle lens and save yourself some time in editing and/or be more intentional with your perspective when taking the photo?
Well, it's true that when using an Ultra Wide lens, the photographer can minimize some of the undesirable effects but somwe people regfard some of those effects interesting. As far as a crop, I have never noticed any crop when processing photos from my 14 mm GM. It is, in fact an amazing, high quality lens.

Well, it's true that when using an Ultra Wide lens, the photographer can minimize some of the undesirable effects but some people regard some of those effects interesting.
Yep agree.
As far as a crop, I have never noticed any crop when processing photos from my 14 mm GM. It is, in fact an amazing, high quality lens.
I've never used a lens that wide, so I apologize if I am mistaken in this, but if the photo was severely skewed and you use the transform tool, doesn't it have the potential to trim the edges of the photo?.

Side note, have you done any night sky photos with that lens? seems perfect for it.

The process you're referring to is called de-fishing. The image is usually automatically cropped some during de-fishing due to the nature of the beast. You can usually use sliders to change the amount.

In the original image it's not just the telephone pole. The entire house on the right and gazebo on the left are skewed considerably. The car is elongated. It looks like the sidewalk edge at the front of the frame is warped, which is what you'd expect.

Even with de-fishing and cropping the finished image is typically wider than a normal wide angle. They key with fisheye lenses is to either like them as they're taken warps and all, or learn how to keep the subject framed in the area that will be the finished photo, understanding some of the edges are sacrificed in post.

Plenty of examples and samples on the interwebs.

Yep agree.

I've never used a lens that wide, so I apologize if I am mistaken in this, but if the photo was severely skewed and you use the transform tool, doesn't it have the potential to trim the edges of the photo?.

Side note, have you done any night sky photos with that lens? seems perfect for it.
I am planning on doing some Astro shots and there is no better lens in the Sony lineup. My biggest problem is finding a dark place where I won't be mugged. :LOL:

Yep agree.

As I think about it, there may be a Check Box in Lightroom that says, "Constrain Crop". Since the subject of the FE 14mm G-Master lens came up, I took this opportunity to re-visit Mark Galer's Review of this lens. It kind of stoked me up so I need to go out and do some shooting with this fine lens. Regarding Wide Angle lenses, most people would look at the lenses that I own and would surmise that my Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA lens would be my most used, everyday lens because it is a fine "Pin Sharp" and compact lens but for some reasons, for me, that role has been taken by my FE 20mm G lens. This lens is mentioned in Galer's review of the 14 mm G-Master. It was not a plan of mine but the 20mm pretty much lives on my camera body at all times. It is my "New Normal" lens.

Well, it's true that when using an Ultra Wide lens, the photographer can minimize some of the undesirable effects but somwe people regfard some of those effects interesting. As far as a crop, I have never noticed any crop when processing photos from my 14 mm GM. It is, in fact an amazing, high quality lens.
Look at the distortions 12:00 minutes in and again he talks about it at 16:52. The whole video is worth watching (this is one of his more informative videos) and provides useful tips for using that wide lens of yours :)
Thanks Chris, that was very helpful.

If you want an ultra-wide angle lens which has surprisingly little distortion, try out Sony's remarkable 12-24mm GM. It is a fantastic lens and worth the price. I also have the excellent 20mm -- great little lens! -- and a TTArtisans 11mm fisheye. When I know I am going to want to deliberately show distortion, I reach for the fisheye. When I want to shoot something and avoid distortion as much as possible, the 12-24mm is on the camera.

As I think about it, there may be a Check Box in Lightroom that says, "Constrain Crop". Since the subject of the FE 14mm G-Master lens came up, I took this opportunity to re-visit Mark Galer's Review of this lens. It kind of stoked me up so I need to go out and do some shooting with this fine lens. Regarding Wide Angle lenses, most people would look at the lenses that I own and would surmise that my Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA lens would be my most used, everyday lens because it is a fine "Pin Sharp" and compact lens but for some reasons, for me, that role has been taken by my FE 20mm G lens. This lens is mentioned in Galer's review of the 14 mm G-Master. It was not a plan of mine but the 20mm pretty much lives on my camera body at all times. It is my "New Normal" lens.
Thanks for the link, Jeff.

It’s a great review, and a keeper lens.

Yep agree.

No Chris, I have never tried night sky photos.

The process you're referring to is called de-fishing. The image is usually automatically cropped some during de-fishing due to the nature of the beast. You can usually use sliders to change the amount.

In the original image it's not just the telephone pole. The entire house on the right and gazebo on the left are skewed considerably. The car is elongated. It looks like the sidewalk edge at the front of the frame is warped, which is what you'd expect.

Even with de-fishing and cropping the finished image is typically wider than a normal wide angle. They key with fisheye lenses is to either like them as they're taken warps and all, or learn how to keep the subject framed in the area that will be the finished photo, understanding some of the edges are sacrificed in post.

Plenty of examples and samples on the interwebs.
Thank you, Tim. Wow, is it that bad? Should I send it back?

Oh, great. I may not have even had it level.
That has nothing to do with it. Wider lenses naturally distort the image. The center is usually pretty normal, but the closer you get to the edge the more noticeable the distortion. A lot of this is actually corrected in-camera these days, with processors becoming more powerful and capable. Your camera, and to a lesser extent your lenses, are computers. Any part that isn't corrected in camera can typically be handled in processing. For a 14mm lens, Sony has actually done a really nice job both optically and electronically to correct the fisheye effect.

It’s a great review, and a keeper lens.
On his Patreon forum, Mark Galer said just this morning that he has never seen a defective G-Master lens. That's always comforting. Last weekend I had my FE 20G and my FE 14 GM out and was doing some Landscape shots. I have left my 14mm sitting too much and I'm going to be changing that in the future.

That has nothing to do with it. Wider lenses naturally distort the image. The center is usually pretty normal, but the closer you get to the edge the more noticeable the distortion. A lot of this is actually corrected in-camera these days, with processors becoming more powerful and capable. Your camera, and to a lesser extent your lenses, are computers. Any part that isn't corrected in camera can typically be handled in processing. For a 14mm lens, Sony has actually done a really nice job both optically and electronically to correct the fisheye effect.
You have been so helpful Tim, thank you. But I’m just not happy with this. I feel like I’m doing something wrong. My expectations were so high.

On his Patreon forum, Mark Galer said just this morning that he has never seen a defective G-Master lens. That's always comforting. Last weekend I had my FE 20G and my FE 14 GM out and was doing some Landscape shots. I have left my 14mm sitting too much and I'm going to be changing that in the future.
Hi Jeff, what do you mean by sitting to much? Are you getting something different?

You have been so helpful Tim, thank you. But I’m just not happy with this. I feel like I’m doing something wrong. My expectations were so high.
The only thing you're really doing wrong is expecting something different than what that lens was made to do. This has far more to do with your journey through photography and learning your equipment than anything else.

Are you able to upload the original RAW file to a dropbox or other share service? Perhaps some of the members here can process the image so you can see the possibilities with this lens?

I think I said in a previous post I am not a fan of wide angle lenses, this is one reason. The other reason is that the wider the angle, the farther the perceived distance and the less detail. Those really cool wide-angle shots you see in books and magazines are usually stitched. The photographer will set up their camera on a tripod shooting in vertical orientation with a much narrower lens, like 85-135mm for example, although any longer lens can be used. Then they shoot a series of photos of the subject scene, covering it from edge to edge and overlapping. The photos are then stitched to a single image and cropped to the desired aspect ratio. The result is much more detail and a completely different feel to the viewer, as if they're 'there' instead of standing way back.

I think Tim is right, it might come down to expectations not being realistic. There is a reason why ultra-wide lenses are sometimes called "fish-eye" lenses. While processing can take care of some of that, its really on the end user to understand the characteristics and either frame their composition appropriately or use the characteristics of the lens in a deliberate, artistic manner.

Just curious: Terry, did you ever try something less wide (like a 20 or 24mm prime) before going all in on the 14mm?

I have shot with 15mm MF lenses on previous cameras with good results. For example Irix. Sometimes 1mm can make a difference.

I have a 10-18mm lens for my a6400, which after conversion to full frame equivalent would be like 15-27mm. If you want, I could take a few shots this weekend so you can see the difference at a few focal lengths?

I think Tim is right, it might come down to expectations not being realistic. There is a reason why ultra-wide lenses are sometimes called "fish-eye" lenses. While processing can take care of some of that, its really on the end user to understand the characteristics and either frame their composition appropriately or use the characteristics of the lens in a deliberate, artistic manner.

Just curious: Terry, did you ever try something less wide (like a 20 or 24mm prime) before going all in on the 14mm?
Yes Chris, I have both and love them. I just couldn’t resist a 14GM, though. I’ll make the 14mm work for me.

I have a 10-18mm lens for my a6400, which after conversion to full frame equivalent would be like 15-27mm. If you want, I could take a few shots this weekend so you can see the difference at a few focal lengths?
Sure Chris, I would love to your photos, especially with the 10mm.

Back