Cropping challenge... record shots

Astacus

Followers
Following
Name
Robert Beynon
Sometimes, as the photographer in a team of two where the other is a birder, I get 'take a picture' and I'll identify it later. Typically, the subject is km away, small and with terible backlight. For instance, this kingfisher... from a 51mpix A1 sensor to a 0.2 mpix crop, processed to hell and high water. Any siimilar tales of cropping? I suspect this will be the wildlife/bird community, mainly? And, in case you're wondering, no, I'm not proud of this image (well either really), but it does win me brownie points :)

Attachments

• cropped 408x446.jpg
    cropped 408x446.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 36
  • orig 8640x5760.jpg
    orig 8640x5760.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 36
Sometimes, as the photographer in a team of two where the other is a birder, I get 'take a picture' and I'll identify it later. Typically, the subject is km away, small and with terible backlight. For instance, this kingfisher... from a 51mpix A1 sensor to a 0.2 mpix crop, processed to hell and high water. Any siimilar tales of cropping? I suspect this will be the wildlife/bird community, mainly? And, in case you're wondering, no, I'm not proud of this image (well either really), but it does win me brownie points :)
Nice shot! When you upload an image, you are given a choice between thumbnail and full size. If you choose full size, we can see your images without having to click on them.

I have several shots that are cropped to hell, but nothing from that distance. I'm surprised there are no atmospheric distortions.

Last edited:
Back