Desktop software for remote shooting and focus stacking..

mapleleaf56

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
Desktop software for remote shooting and focus stacking..
I am looking for a software program to help with focus stacking, I have tried Helicon remote but unfortunately although it recognizes my camera all the controls are greyed out..
At the moment I’m doing focus stacking manually then stacking in Helicon focus which is an amazing program, but I would really like to get better and more accurate focus which is what Helicon remote does , I have seen many tutorials on YouTube and it looks amazing. Maybe I’m missing something that I need to setup in camera!
Any suggestions or ideas on Helicon remote or similar program’s would be really helpful.
Thank you in advance…

I think you need to go the hardware route unless you are using a lens that can communicate with the camera/software.

I think you need to go the hardware route unless you are using a lens that can communicate with the camera/software.
Thank you..
I did look at that but then saw the price and it’s way too expensive for me..

I went with a manual focusing rail for field work and then move all the images into Helicon. I truly miss in-camera focus bracketing and I am sorely disappointed with Sony for being the ONLY one that does not provide it. Since 2020, all the other camera manufacturers with macro lens have in-camera focus bracketing. That being ranted :) , I stuck with Sony because I will use manual focus lenses that will not be capable of usage with in-camera focus bracketing. Basically, if you want to have that ability then something like StackShot and/or CamRanger 2 is a necessary evil for macro costs.

I went with a manual focusing rail for field work and then move all the images into Helicon. I truly miss in-camera focus bracketing and I am sorely disappointed with Sony for being the ONLY one that does not provide it. Since 2020, all the other camera manufacturers with macro lens have in-camera focus bracketing. That being ranted :) , I stuck with Sony because I will use manual focus lenses that will not be capable of usage with in-camera focus bracketing. Basically, if you want to have that ability then something like StackShot and/or CamRanger 2 is a necessary evil for macro costs.
Thank you for the information.. I use the Laowa 100mm 2.8 x2 macro which is fully manual and it’s a fantastic lens.. I just thought that maybe there was some software to assist me .. so time to enjoy learning how to be more precise….

Thank you for the information.. I use the Laowa 100mm 2.8 x2 macro which is fully manual and it’s a fantastic lens.. I just thought that maybe there was some software to assist me .. so time to enjoy learning how to be more precise….
I have the 2.5-5.0x 25mm Laowa - they do make good stuff. I just wish they could have communication with the camera. :) Stacking images has given me much appreciation for the painstaking work it takes to get a clean image (https://petapixel.com/2022/01/03/th...ed-8000-151mp-photos-and-86-hours-of-editing/)

After reading that article, I'm happy that I got this image with only 8 images stacked using the Laowa.
Dawg Burrs.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • ----
  • 2 sec
  • ISO 100

Or this one with the 90 G - 40 stacked images.
PointReyesFlower.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 4/10 sec
  • ISO 100

Back