Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Out of the blue I had my director at work ask me to take pictures at our first annual department award ceremony next week. Not sure how she heard I like photography, but I couldn't turn her down! Here's where it departs from my comfort zone: the auditorium where the event will be held is dim, though I believe the stage is appropriately lit. Until now, all my amateur event photography has been outdoors in available light. I believe I am going to need to use a flash for group shots off stage. I also have an led panel as an alternative to the flash.

Most of my gear is in my signature, but here's what I was thinking to use:
A6400 (have no budget to rent something better, and no time to familiarize myself with a different camera body)
Tamron 17-70mm f2.8
Sony 35mm f1.8
Flash: Godox TT350s
Tripod: I'll bring the Peak Design tripod and a wireless remote in case they want a full department group photo (cause I need to be in the shot too lol)

Anyone do this kind of event photography and have any tips?

Out of the blue I had my director at work ask me to take pictures at our first annual department award ceremony next week. Not sure how she heard I like photography, but I couldn't turn her down! Here's where it departs from my comfort zone: the auditorium where the event will be held is dim, though I believe the stage is appropriately lit. Until now, all my amateur event photography has been outdoors in available light. I believe I am going to need to use a flash for group shots off stage. I also have an led panel as an alternative to the flash.

A6400 (have no budget to rent something better, and no time to familiarize myself with a different camera body)
Tamron 17-70mm f2.8
Sony 35mm f1.8
Tripod: I'll bring the Peak Design tripod and a wireless remote in case they want a full department group photo (cause I need to be in the shot too lol)

Hi Chris you have most things covered in my opinion but dependant upon the lighting in the auditorium be prepared to change your camera light frequency setting to avoid rolling shutter if there is LED lighting in the room. This is a common problem in enclosed venues and as you seem to be under the "cosh" from your director it would be wise to visit in advance to check the practical light type/levels against your proposed settings.....and at the same protect your job....! :ROFLMAO:

As is normal, which i am sure you are aware of, for the group photos either have the group stand in a straight or near straight line from left to right to ensure all faces are focussed or alternativey set your aperture to an appropriate deeper DOF for the group to camera distance, if they are bunched, and you again, want for all faces at the front and back to be sharp/focussed.

Hope this helps

Tamron 17-70mm f2.8
Sony 35mm f1.8

Try to make all of your shots those of static subjects. When I shot that Karate tournament, I was in decent gymnasium lighting and everything was at f/2.8, ISO 8000 in order to freeze action, on a FF sensor. When I first got there I sorted out my parameters on test shots before the competition started.

Figure out the highest ISO you can stand for good IQ and work around it. I think your 1.8 lens is going to prove invaluable, unfortunately it's 50mm equivalence.

Hi Chris you have most things covered in my opinion but dependant upon the lighting in the auditorium be prepared to change your camera light frequency setting to avoid rolling shutter if there is LED lighting in the room. This is a common problem in enclosed venues and as you seem to be under the "cosh" from your director it would be wise to visit in advance to check the practical light type/levels against your proposed settings.....and at the same protect your job....! :ROFLMAO:

As is normal, which i am sure you are aware of, for the group photos either have the group stand in a straight or near straight line from left to right to ensure all faces are focussed or alternativey set your aperture to an appropriate deeper DOF for the group to camera distance, if they are bunched, and you again, want for all faces at the front and back to be sharp/focussed.

Hope this helps
I hadn't thought about the LED banding, but good call out! I'll probably be safe, that auditorium lighting hasn't been updated in decades.
Spot on with the group shots too, I will orient myself accordingly.

Good thing the director knows this is just a hobby of mine, because even if my photos turn out poorly, I'm still a half-way decent project manager... I think! 😅

Try to make all of your shots those of static subjects. When I shot that Karate tournament, I was in decent gymnasium lighting and everything was at f/2.8, ISO 8000 in order to freeze action, on a FF sensor. When I first got there I sorted out my parameters on test shots before the competition started.

Figure out the highest ISO you can stand for good IQ and work around it. I think your 1.8 lens is going to prove invaluable, unfortunately it's 50mm equivalence.
I am definitely going to try to get some practice shots. One thing I am curious about is how far back I might want to be to take podium shots from the audience area. I had planned to do this with the 17-70mm, and am hoping that with stage lights, f2.8 will be enough. A practice run will help me figure this out.

I also have the Sigma 56mm with a max aperture of f1.4 I could carry with me... but I don't have a second camera body and don't want to spend all my time swapping glass.

Chris do not forget to turn off live view indoors its a must, I guess you already know this

My feeling is you should be able to do most shots with the 17-70 subject to the available distance between the stage
and auditorium rear or audience.
As you indicate you will need to test your proposed shooting points against the framing of your composition particularily
in respect of the image height of multiple persons standing on the stage....for limited walk around distance you will need to be
shooting closer to the17mm end whilst for focus on single subjects you should be able to use the longer end of your 17-70mm
wherein you will not need such a wide angle.

Good Luck...

I reckon you'll be able to knock it all over with the 17-70mm, but I'd be taking the 56mm as well as that 35mm just because you can. I mean they're both small enough!

One thing going your way is you won't require a high shutter speed. I'm sure you will do a lot better than you think mate and I've no doubt you already have all the execution tools (your brain) needed. It will be a good way to find out that you are actually quite handy when it comes to this. 🌞

Chris do not forget to turn off live view indoors its a must, I guess you already know this
Uh actually I didn't already know that. You mean turning off the LCD screen so it doesn't distract others around me? or ruin my vision in low-light (it better not be THAT dark in there haha!).

Uh actually I didn't already know that. You mean turning off the LCD screen so it doesn't distract others around me? or ruin my vision in low-light (it better not be THAT dark in there haha!).
ok so Chris check it out on Sony help pages, so basically live view could well work against you indoors causing you to under or over expose indoors or in low or false light. I always turn off live view indoors or low light as do many

Lens length will depend on what you are shooting at the podium(singles vs groups), where you will able to shoot from and how big is the space. If at all possible do not use the flash for the speakers at the podium, use it only if you will need to for set up group shots. Also remember to shoot the audience as well. Good luck

Tamron 17-70mm f2.8
Sony 35mm f1.8

My first question would be, how large a group might you be shooting? If you are shooting a group that must be in two rows, that changes your DOF and lighting needs. If there were two rows, staggering the folks my help or having the 1st row seated. I don't envy you going into a project without knowing what you will be facing. Good luck.

Sounds like an interesting gig Chris. It’s not my sort of photography so I can’t offer any tips unfortunately. But you shouldn’t need to worry about banding issues with LEDs providing you use the mechanical shutter and not the silent/electronic shutter of your a6400, turn off e-Front Curtain Shutter as well to be on the safe side with flash.

My first question would be, how large a group might you be shooting? If you are shooting a group that must be in two rows, that changes your DOF and lighting needs. If there were two rows, staggering the folks my help or having the 1st row seated. I don't envy you going into a project without knowing what you will be facing. Good luck.
Out of a department size of 90, I expect 60-ish people in attendance.
I will discuss a bit more with my "client" what her expectations are, but I think she wants:
- a few casual shots before the ceremony
- a few candid crowd shots
- then basically just podium coverage for awards ceremony

I think the only formal "group" shot I am going to suggest is the managers together on stage (9 people) possibly in a single row.

Also, I get access to the auditorium on Monday for practice shots.

Out of a department size of 90, I expect 60-ish people in attendance.
I will discuss a bit more with my "client" what her expectations are, but I think she wants:
- a few casual shots before the ceremony
- a few candid crowd shots
- then basically just podium coverage for awards ceremony

I think the only formal "group" shot I am going to suggest is the managers together on stage (9 people) possibly in a single row.

Also, I get access to the auditorium on Monday for practice shots.
Are you getting paid for this, or is it gratis as part of your job? Overtime or some added perk, like all the 🍦 🍨🍧you can eat? 🥶

Are you getting paid for this, or is it gratis as part of your job? Overtime or some added perk, like all the 🍦 🍨🍧you can eat? 🥶
Unpaid, but its always nice to have the department head owe you a favor. Heh, office politics have corrupted me 😅

Unpaid, but its always nice to have the department head owe you a favor. Heh, office politics have corrupted me 😅

The funniest part is that most people just think if you have high quality camera gear then it basically just does it all for you. Unless you have separate lighting and props then you pretty much just sort your composition and zoom into where you want, and it's all good from there. No worries hey, easy! 😄

The funniest part is that most people just think if you have high quality camera gear then it basically just does it all for you. Unless you have separate lighting and props then you pretty much just sort your composition and zoom into where you want, and it's all good from there. No worries hey, easy! 😄
Yeah, its so easy any monkey with a camera can do it LOL I know what you mean man.
The worst is when people look at the photos after all the culling and editing and say "meh, my iPhone takes better pictures"

Took a few test shots of the auditorium today. I don't think I will need the flash after all. The room has some can lights in the ceiling that can illuminate the room well enough. I will need to go with a higher ISO than I would like, but perhaps if I use a wider aperture prime for the podium shots they will come out better at lower ISO.

DSC03181.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2000

DSC03175.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1600

DSC03176.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1600

4 rows back seems to be good enough to get whole stage in at 17mm.
I'm not yet sure where the podium will be set up, it would be weird if they kept this stage configuration as it is designed for a council meeting, not an award ceremony...

Last edited:
Don't forget you will have people to work around for your podium shots, those that might be in your line of sight and the ones behind you that you will be blocking their view.

You're killing it Chris! No worries for you at all mate! 🏆

You must have got the limited edition Tamron, f2.79 I see... 😃
haha yeah mate, I paid an upcharge for that extra .00000005 aperture 🤣

I don't love these photos, I think they highlight the limitations of APSC, or maybe I just expect too much given the conditions? Its hard not to pixel-peep when you're reviewing in post. Pixel Peeping with an APSC leads to frustration...

Don't forget you will have people to work around for your podium shots, those that might be in your line of sight and the ones behind you that you will be blocking their view.
Agreed. My director joked that I could have any seat I wanted that would give me optimal photos, but I would be quite limited if I sat with the audience. I would also block anyone behind me if I stood. So I plan to hover in the aisle around that 4-row-back position. Once I know where the podium will be placed, I will orient myself accordingly. It would be nice if there was a spotlight, so I could get away with less ISO on the podium shots, but that remains to be seen.

haha yeah mate, I paid an upcharge for that extra .00000005 aperture 🤣

I don't love these photos, I think they highlight the limitations of APSC, or maybe I just expect too much given the conditions? Its hard not to pixel-peep when you're reviewing in post. Pixel Peeping with an APSC leads to frustration...
Pay attention to metering. Bear in mind if you're spot metering, someone wearing light colored clothes will expose differently than someone wearing dark clothes in that environment.

PUSH them if you can. Better to use a higher ISO, try to overexpose, and pull it back in post. You can practice this method anywhere in room light.

It's not an APS-C thing, it's a knowledge thing. As long as you don't have to freeze action there's nothing wrong with APS-C for low light. I never had any problem with M-4/3, which is a smaller sensor yet, in light a heck of a lot lower than the room you're shooting.

Mammoth Cave, M-4/3 Panasonic G9, ISO 1250, f/3.4, shutter 8/10 second, handheld:

P1075730 by telecast, on Flickr

Go practice in some room lights. You'll get it!

@Brownie fair points Tim. For those static sample shots I did, I could have gone with a longer exposure time and lower ISO. I kept my exposure at 1/125 or 1/160 to see what the general scene would look like if I was capturing people at the podium or on stage, BUTif that were truly the scenario, nobody would be pixel peeping the background lol

If someone is just standing there talking, 1/60 shouldn't be an issue.

Saw this metal artwork on the wall just outside the auditorium that caught my eye, thought i'd share:
DSC03182.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 44.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2000

Hi Chris no pressure but in seeing the room shots I would think in addition to the group shot you talk to your director or event organiser beforehand to ensure the awards and cert handover/handshakes are stage managed such that from your proposed shooting position you can get clear shots of all award recipients face and critical handshake etc........you don't want irate recipients giving you grief if you don't catch their images whilst catching all others......

Hi Chris no pressure but in seeing the room shots I would think in addition to the group shot you talk to your director or event organiser beforehand to ensure the awards and cert handover/handshakes are stage managed such that from your proposed shooting position you can get clear shots of all award recipients face and critical handshake etc........you don't want irate recipients giving you grief if you don't catch their images whilst catching all others......
Absolutely. I understand there is to be a table and a single podium on stage (they will remove the desks seen in my practice shots). I have the option of standing on stage so I can get them at eye-level as they pose post-handshake, or I could shoot from in front of the stage (looking up at award recipients) which would give me a less flattering angle but possibly more predictable lighting and the organization logo in the background. What do you think Ray?

Back