First gig of 2023: stepping outside of my comfort zone

Yes Chris suggest shooting from one side off stage with recipients coming on stage from Opposite side and turning with the presenter for face shot including handshake and cert/award hand off.....

The same can be achieved with shooting position off stage directly in front but this may block audience view of awards and family pics of their relatives award presentation.

Overall not easy but maybe above will give you some thoughts about positioning for best effect and outcome...as you are performing for first time don't be shy about arranging your scenes with the event organiser..... Memories fade but photographs live on.....!

You're Golden there Chris! You dodged a bullet on that one. Have a great shoot.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice!

Things didn't quite go to plan, but they still turned out ok:
- They decided not to use the stage, so the ceremony was in the [dimmer] area in front of the stage.
- I didn't bring flash as I had a different set of expectations.
- The ceremony was a bit rushed, so I used the 17-70mm for everything rather than change lenses.
- Participants came from either side, so not as organized as we discussed Ray @Deleted Member 5003
- I kept it on manual, but I didn't go any slower than 1/125 because I didn't want to have camera shake, though I probably could have gone as low as 1/100. Sorry Tim @Brownie I guess I just don't feel confident in hand-holding longer exposures without IBIS.

So with all of that said, my pics came out ok, but since they were mostly in the ISO 4000-6400 range, I ran them through ON1 2023 NoNoise tool. Maybe a tad over sharpened, but people are used to that look from cellphone photography nowadays LOL. I don't want to bore you all, so I'll only post a few examples.

DSC03203.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 3200

DSC03227.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 25.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 4000

DSC03236.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 31.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 5000

DSC03331.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 5000

Chris, you did a great job shooting this event. If you did it again under the same conditions, you might be able to improve on some aspects of the shoot but there is certainly nothing wrong with the work that you did. I too have been asked to do a shoot that was important but without any consideration to preparation or setup and that can be very un-nerving. Great job.

No criticism at all but a full frame camera might have given you a little more dynamic range but we will never know for sure.

Chris, you did a great job shooting this event. If you did it again under the same conditions, you might be able to improve on some aspects of the shoot but there is certainly nothing wrong with the work that you did. I too have been asked to do a shoot that was important but without any consideration to preparation or setup and that can be very un-nerving. Great job.

No criticism at all but a full frame camera might have given you a little more dynamic range but we will never know for sure.
Thanks Jeff!
I learned from the comments here and the experience. If doing it again, I would do a few things differently:
- Bring Flash, no matter what conditions are expected.
- Shoot slower exposure rather than rely on higher ISO.
- IF using a zoom, take a few extra seconds to get a close-up AND full length photo of the award recipients. Cropping from full-length into close-ups only works if you have high megapixels like an A7R4. Optical zoom > digital zoom.
- IF using a prime, stand at the right distance from target so they come into the desired frame as you take a few shots
- Setup tripod at least once so I can get in the shot too 😅

For a first time outing Chris don't be hard on yourself your images are good, and you seem to have picked up on the learning points for the future.

Take the opportunty to shoot a first time short notice event as a positive, be prepared to integrate the learning points you have clearly picked up on
into the next outing...and maybe seek another similar or alternate opportuntiy to build your portfolio...maybe not from your director and maybe a paid outing next time........;)(y)

No photography experience but I have event experience…. my technology fails me when I least expect it. This, my only thoughts are to:
A) takes spare fully charged batteries and freshly formatted and tested memory cards.
B) charge your iPhone in case something goes wrong with the camera body.
C) practice using that flash and or any new gear you’re intending to use.
D) have fun!

Out of the blue I had my director at work ask me to take pictures at our first annual department award ceremony next week. Not sure how she heard I like photography, but I couldn't turn her down! Here's where it departs from my comfort zone: the auditorium where the event will be held is dim, though I believe the stage is appropriately lit. Until now, all my amateur event photography has been outdoors in available light. I believe I am going to need to use a flash for group shots off stage. I also have an led panel as an alternative to the flash.

Most of my gear is in my signature, but here's what I was thinking to use:
A6400 (have no budget to rent something better, and no time to familiarize myself with a different camera body)
Tamron 17-70mm f2.8
Sony 35mm f1.8
Flash: Godox TT350s
Tripod: I'll bring the Peak Design tripod and a wireless remote in case they want a full department group photo (cause I need to be in the shot too lol)

Anyone do this kind of event photography and have any tips?
Take a lot of photos of the same thing at different exposures and pray. If your taking shots with nothing moving take bracketed shots 3-5 shots at 2.0 EV (the middle shot is the same as a normal exposure but you've got some insurance)

Back