Flowers - Cloudy Sky

boomerallegnal

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Steve
Tried experimenting using flash and a cloudy sky as a background with Sony a6400 and 35mm 1.8 lens. Still new to this, 18 days new to be exact.

Attachments

• flowers1.JPG
    flowers1.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 54
  • flower01.JPG
    flower01.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 49
  • flower02.JPG
    flower02.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 49
Good progress. Its helpful to review the settings. Looking at that first pic for example, you used f16 and exp of 1/160: I would suggest going faster on the exposure and opening the aperture a bit more. I personally find that taking pictures of flowers outside requires higher shutter speeds to make sharp pictures if there's even the slightest hint of a breeze.

However, I am so bad at flash photography I avoid using the flash, so take my input with a grain of salt 😅

thanks! appreciate the critique. How did you know what settings I used lol. Did I post that? lol
If you click on the attachments and scroll down to the metadata on the right-hand side, it shows all the details.

On our Facebook page, I see so many new people asking for specific settings or "what settings are best for ___ situation", and I think its important to see metadata, but not for the reason they think. Knowing one person's settings doesn't mean you can duplicate the same results for all situations.

I think reviewing the finished product with the settings is a great learning tool to be able to look back at pictures and say "ok why did I choose f2.8 instead of f1.8? did my settings allow me to capture everything I wanted to convey in the picture? was my subject sufficiently in focus? how was my exposure? what can I do differently next time?"

If you click on the attachments and scroll down to the metadata on the right-hand side, it shows all the details.

On our Facebook page, I see so many new people asking for specific settings or "what settings are best for ___ situation", and I think its important to see metadata, but not for the reason they think. Knowing one person's settings doesn't mean you can duplicate the same results for all situations.

I think reviewing the finished product with the settings is a great learning tool to be able to look back at pictures and say "ok why did I choose f2.8 instead of f1.8? did my settings allow me to capture everything I wanted to convey in the picture? was my subject sufficiently in focus? how was my exposure? what can I do differently next time?"
good to know. thanks.

Back