Flowers - Cloudy Sky

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

boomerallegnal

Original poster
Followers
Following
Apr 15, 2021
Name
Steve
Tried experimenting using flash and a cloudy sky as a background with Sony a6400 and 35mm 1.8 lens. Still new to this, 18 days new to be exact.

Attachments

• flowers1.JPG
    flowers1.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 10
  • flower01.JPG
    flower01.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 10
  • flower02.JPG
    flower02.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 10

FowlersFreeTime

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Good progress. Its helpful to review the settings. Looking at that first pic for example, you used f16 and exp of 1/160: I would suggest going faster on the exposure and opening the aperture a bit more. I personally find that taking pictures of flowers outside requires higher shutter speeds to make sharp pictures if there's even the slightest hint of a breeze.

However, I am so bad at flash photography I avoid using the flash, so take my input with a grain of salt 😅

Reactions: boomerallegnal

FowlersFreeTime

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
thanks! appreciate the critique. How did you know what settings I used lol. Did I post that? lol
If you click on the attachments and scroll down to the metadata on the right-hand side, it shows all the details.

On our Facebook page, I see so many new people asking for specific settings or "what settings are best for ___ situation", and I think its important to see metadata, but not for the reason they think. Knowing one person's settings doesn't mean you can duplicate the same results for all situations.

I think reviewing the finished product with the settings is a great learning tool to be able to look back at pictures and say "ok why did I choose f2.8 instead of f1.8? did my settings allow me to capture everything I wanted to convey in the picture? was my subject sufficiently in focus? how was my exposure? what can I do differently next time?"

Reactions: boomerallegnal

boomerallegnal

Original poster
Followers
Following
Apr 15, 2021
Name
Steve
If you click on the attachments and scroll down to the metadata on the right-hand side, it shows all the details.

On our Facebook page, I see so many new people asking for specific settings or "what settings are best for ___ situation", and I think its important to see metadata, but not for the reason they think. Knowing one person's settings doesn't mean you can duplicate the same results for all situations.

I think reviewing the finished product with the settings is a great learning tool to be able to look back at pictures and say "ok why did I choose f2.8 instead of f1.8? did my settings allow me to capture everything I wanted to convey in the picture? was my subject sufficiently in focus? how was my exposure? what can I do differently next time?"
good to know. thanks.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.