Following
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
I told Santa about this today, but Santa has cut me off :cry:

I'm a drone pilot and owner and I fly a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I have been anxiously awaiting the release of DJI's newest offering, the Mavic 3. Well, it's out and shipping but the price for the top of the line version (there are 3 versions) is $5000 US. If you fly drones you have to live with the fact that things can happen to your drone. One of the first Forum posts I read from a new Mavic 3 owner was he was having some controlability problems and his drone just flew away, never to be seen again. I would go nuts if I watched a $5000 piece of equipment fly away, so I now have the cure for wanting a new drone.

I'm a drone pilot and owner and I fly a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I have been anxiously awaiting the release of DJI's newest offering, the Mavic 3. Well, it's out and shipping but the price for the top of the line version (there are 3 versions) is $5000 US. If you fly drones you have to live with the fact that things can happen to your drone. One of the first Forum posts I read from a new Mavic 3 owner was he was having some controlability problems and his drone just flew away, never to be seen again. I would go nuts if I watched a $5000 piece of equipment fly away, so I now have the cure for wanting a new drone.
DJI is the largest drone manufacturer in the world. I’ve had all of the Phantoms. They will fly in wind that the Mavic can’t handle. I still have the Phantom 2. No camera, just drone.

Last edited:
DJI is the largest drone manufacturer in the world. I’ve had all of the Phantoms. They will fly in wind that the Mavic can’t handle. I still have the Phantom 2. No camera, just drone.
The case I mentioned was not a wind/performance issue but a case of the drone not executing the commands. BTW, I have had several Mavic 2's and I still own a Phantom 3. On windy days, I would choose the Mavic 2 over the Phantom. It would be a no brainer. After the Mavic Mini was released there were countless "fly aways", largely due to pilot error because the new and inexperienced operators had failed to realize that the winds above ground were much higher than the winds at the surface. They would fly thier drone downwind and not have the performance to make it back in the headwinds before the battery went dead.

While I admire what Drones have bought to filmmaking and photography, I hate the buzzy things with a passion :)

While I admire what Drones have bought to filmmaking and photography, I hate the buzzy things with a passion :)
But Kev, they are just a mechanical device. Maybe it's the drone operators that have raised your ire?? So I saw a Mavic drone fly a couple of years back and I had the desire to own one for some time. I finally did buy one. I could hardly wait until I shot my first 4K video, which I did immediately. Then I discovered my computer would not play a 4K video, much less edit and produce that video. So then. I bought a new PC and Monitor, an expensive one I might add. Next I discovered that I was more fascinated with stills than movies, but I didn't have a decent still camera. So then I bought a Sony A7 III. I followed that with a bunch of lenses, the cost of which made the camera purchase seem trivial. So Kev, it should be plain to you that a drone is VERY good for the economy!

Hahahaha. The operators do have much to be blamed for too, yes. I've seen some pretty irrisponsible flying around wild bird nests and deer parks.

Hahahaha. The operators do have much to be blamed for too, yes. I've seen some pretty irresponsible flying around wild bird nests and deer parks.
That's not good but there are far too many irresponsible people out there these days, and it's not limited to drones.

That's not good but there are far too many irresponsible people out there these days, and it's not limited to drones.
Oh yes, and many have had the benefit of my opinion.

Oh yes, and many have had the benefit of my opinion.

Oh, the eight Anglo-Saxon four-letter words dealing with the body and body functions. All in the OED.

Oh, the eight Anglo-Saxon four-letter words dealing with the body and body functions. All in the OED.
Well in my mind, but more eloquently, with some anger :)

Well in my mind, but more eloquently, with some anger :)

Ah, laddie, the thought is as bad as the deed. LOL

Part of a rich language with the subtleties of difference between "boyish" and "puerile." Is it a language or a patois of Anglo-Saxon, Latin, French and other local languages? I am grateful I was born to it and did not have to learn it as a second language. OTOH some of the best written prose we have was written by a Polish sailor who later thought he should have written in French. What a spoken stew we live in. Hurrah!

Ah, laddie, the thought is as bad as the deed. LOL

Part of a rich language with the subtleties of difference between "boyish" and "puerile." Is it a language or a patois of Anglo-Saxon, Latin, French and other local languages? I am grateful I was born to it and did not have to learn it as a second language. OTOH some of the best written prose we have was written by a Polish sailor who later thought he should have written in French. What a spoken stew we live in. Hurrah!
Indeed. I am well known for my creative use of our more colourful language :)

Back