Free Members competition

It may not have occured to many, in respect of those that consider themselves predominantly
wildlife /birding, macro or other specific genre shooters (excluding landscapes), that the competition
change announcement of 2 jan 2024 put non landscape shooters at an immediate disadvantage
if they want at all to enter the january competition. They effectively have less than 3 weeks to shoot
a suitable image to qualify.

It is easy to dispell all this as "it's only a bit of fun" but some folks take this more seriously than that
and if they can't access to fair competition on this forum, may well look elsewhere........the degrading
of the competition from 3 winners/runners up to now only 1 paid winner has not been lost on many
and to see another degraded version of the competition which has clearly not been well thought out
before implementation only leaves more of a sour taste in the mouths of those who regard the
competition as an integral part of the forum attraction.

As in organisations generally, ignore the feelings/concerns of your customers at your peril......

It may not have occured to many, in respect of those that consider themselves predominantly
wildlife /birding, macro or other specific genre shooters (excluding landscapes), that the competition
change announcement of 2 jan 2024 put non landscape shooters at an immediate disadvantage
if they want at all to enter the january competition. They effectively have less than 3 weeks to shoot
a suitable image to qualify.

It is easy to dispell all this as "it's only a bit of fun" but some folks take this more seriously than that
and if they can't access to fair competition on this forum, may well look elsewhere........the degrading
of the competition from 3 winners/runners up to now only 1 paid winner has not been lost on many
and to see another degraded version of the competition which has clearly not been well thought out
before implementation only leaves more of a sour taste in the mouths of those who regard the
competition as an integral part of the forum attraction.

As in organisations generally, ignore the feelings/concerns of your customers at your peril......
I notice you have a lot of issues to point out but not many solutions. So what do you have as a suggestion?

Last year there was an average of 12.5 entries per month. I don't know how many active visitors there are a month but 13 people taking part is not a large number. In the 5 months that there were 3 prizes there was an average of 10 participants in the 7 months with 1 prize the average was 14. So the lack of 2nd and 3rd place prizes doesn't seem to be impacting the participation.

I live in a large definitely urban area so that there are really not a lot of good opportunities for effective, beautiful landscape shots, particularly in my immediate surroundings. Aside from that, where I live it is now cold wintertime and as someone who is no longer "a spring chicken" I tend to avoid going out except when I have to do so for necessary errands.

My excursions where I happily wander around with camera and a few lenses in hand are reserved for the warmer, nicer weather. Weather conditions being perfectly agreeable, though, yes, occasionally I might pop off a landscape shot or two, but for the most part it is not my primary interest and I'm not all that proficient at it. Give me the wildlife, the birds, the opportunities for macros and I'm a happy camper!

In wintertime once in a while I can luck out and get some nice wildlife (water birds) shots right from my deck, but otherwise I tend to spend more time indoors shooting macros and closeups or experimenting with things like water drop photography. So, no landscapes coming from me, either in a competition or otherwise!

As for the noticeable competition participation dropping, I think that is not unusual in any forum. I have definitely seen it in other forums where I am a member. For various reasons, people lose interest, they don't have time to participate (especially if it requires shooting something new) or they have already left the forum for whatever reasons so aren't even around to see the competitions any more.

This brings up an elephant in the room...... I think there are at least a few previously active members who have now left this forum, as I've noticed their absence over the past little while.... Too many people departing or simply no longer participating at all is a red flag, isn't it?

Last edited:
I live in a large definitely urban area so that there are really not a lot of good opportunities for effective, beautiful landscape shots, particularly in my immediate surroundings. Aside from that, where I live it is now cold wintertime and as someone who is no longer "a spring chicken" I tend to avoid going out except when I have to do so for necessary errands.

My excursions where I happily wander around with camera and a few lenses in hand are reserved for the warmer, nicer weather. Weather conditions being perfectly agreeable, though, yes, occasionally I might pop off a landscape shot or two, but for the most part it is not my primary interest and I'm not all that proficient at it. Give me the wildlife, the birds, the opportunities for macros and I'm a happy camper!

In wintertime once in a while I can luck out and get some nice wildlife (water birds) shots right from my deck, but otherwise I tend to spend more time indoors shooting macros and closeups or experimenting with things like water drop photography. So, no landscapes coming from me, either in a competition or otherwise!

As for the noticeable competition participation dropping, I think that is not unusual in any forum. I have definitely seen it in other forums where I am a member. For various reasons, people lose interest, they don't have time to participate (especially if it requires shooting something new) or they have already left the forum for whatever reasons so aren't even around to see the competitions any more.

This brings up an elephant in the room...... I think there are at least a few previously active members who have now left this forum, as I've noticed their absence over the past little while.... Too many people departing or simply no longer participating at all is a red flag, isn't it?
Lots of people have left, not surprisingly and not unusual in any forum.
I will say that choosing a theme needs to be better thought out though as certain themes will prevent entries from a lot of members, which doesn't help matters. The other factor is time of year. Christmas is a busy period anyway, plus life can get in the way (I personally haven't been out with the camera since November) and so this will reduce participation. There aren't solutions to this really, just hope the forum grows, but it won't. Too many negative posts, especially recently, and too much jealousy/hate toward some members does not make it a welcoming place.
Welcome to the internet :D

In response to lamdlewis he has cleatly not read my string of mails hitherto his mail above wherein I have
both agreed with others suggested changes and provided my own...suggest he reads them before directing
negative insinuations. in the event the competition format was changed unilaterally by forum management
on the 2 jan 2024 with little of the main participants improvement suggestions taken on board

On the above discourse, basic organisational principles and practice clearly show that that the mood and
direction of an organisation members are often a mirror image of its management...good or bad

On the question of generating higher competition numbers there has to be benefit to those that are expected
to participate and equally participation is not a given, it has to be managed proactively to grow and effort
applied to make it a success.

To put meat on lamdlewis's statistics the supporter competition, by its design is limited to suporter
membership including 1 or 2 elevated guests leading to a core of 6 or 7 supporters who submit entries
on every/most months. With limited forum supporter numbers with which to grow the competition, as i
understand the current membership numbers, there needs to be a signnificnt change to the competitions
format and drive. The planned integration of the free and supporter competitions should go some way to
addressing this.

As regards other changes, as has been mentioned by myself and others, the following seem to reflect best
practice on other forum's :-

1. Reinstate voucher or similar benefit to monthly winner and runners up
2. Operate a theme each month, but which cannot be a photograpy genre as it is limiting, and as we
all know the forum comprises a higher number of wildlife/bird shooters and to avoid isolating many of
this group as well as other lower represented shooter genres the theme shoud be more in line with
what has already suggested by others as best practice from other forums.
3. Form a competition panel to operate within agreed parameters to both oversee the competition, as
well as provide a think tank from which to generate forum growth intiatives for forum mangement
approval.
4. Forum management to actively work on, with participation by all, in eliminating the current forum
barriers and inter relationship negatives.

maybe the above, alongwith any other suggestions, may go some way to promoting a more healthy
forum environment based on deeper and transparent communication as well as promoting competition
and membership numbers growth...?

In response to lamdlewis he has cleatly not read my string of mails hitherto his mail above wherein I have
both agreed with others suggested changes and provided my own...suggest he reads them before directing
negative insinuations. in the event the competition format was changed unilaterally by forum management
on the 2 jan 2024 with little of the main participants improvement suggestions taken on board
Sorry just more recent ones were like I stated but also could have just been me getting lost in the word salads.

Back