Followers
Following
Name
Lisa
Country
United States
City/State
St. Louis, Missouri
I tend to photograph Wildlife and Landscapes typically. Occasionally, I will be asked to do portraits. I have the 24-70 2.8 and am considering adding either the Zeiss 55 1.8 or the FE 85 1.8 for those jobs. Do I have a case of GAS? Will the Zoom suffice just fine, or should I decide between the other two Primes? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck too.

Which Prime, 55 or 85, would offer more versatility and end up being used for images other than just portraits? My Fuji kit has lots more lenses to get the job done, but the AF has been frustrating to work with.

From a FOV standpoint, an 85 is two-three steps back as compared to a 50, so think in those terms when considering it as a general-purpose lens.

85 is a classic portrait lens. They tend to be very sharp and offer good bokeh for portraits.

If I were thinking mainly portrait + other stuff, I'd get the 85.
If I were thinking mainly other stuff + portrait, I'd get the 55 or a 50.

You don't need to spend big bucks to accomplish this. There is a plethora of 85s on the market for E mount. BH lists a whole bunch, from Meike's 1.8 for $190 to Sony's 1.4 for $1800. The only E-Mount primes I have are Samyang/Rokinon, the 24/1.8, 35/1.4 and 135/1.8. My 85 is the Minolta 85/1.4 A-Mount used with an LA-EA5 adapter. All of them are fantastic lenses. I would look at Sony's 85/1.8 and Samyang/Rokinon's 1.4 offerings in the same price range. Samyang recently induced the Mark II, and they currently have all of them on sale.

GAS? Maybe. Who cares! 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for your response. :) The only reason I mention the Zeiss 55 is because I keep seeing/reading how stellar of a lens it is. Maybe someone will chime in that has the 55 1.8 and the 85 1.8? I sort of narrowed it down to these two lenses specifically.

Thanks for your response. :) The only reason I mention the Zeiss 55 is because I keep seeing/reading how stellar of a lens it is. Maybe someone will chime in that has the 55 1.8 and the 85 1.8? I sort of narrowed it down to these two lenses specifically.
I have both, and don't use either enough. Both are good lenses and "Value priced", if there is such a thing. My most used lens has been the Sony 20mm G lens, but lately the Sony 1.4 35mm G Master seems to be filling that role.

I have both, and don't use either enough. Both are good lenses and "Value priced", if there is such a thing. My most used lens has been the Sony 20mm G lens, but lately the Sony 1.4 35mm G Master seems to be filling that role.
Are you not shooting portraits, or you just prefer the Focal Length of the 20 or 35 better?

You've got 55 already covered with your current zoom lens so maybe it'd be more interesting to get the 85mm?

Ask yourself what you feel you're missing with your current lens (if anything), that will be your answer.

Last edited:
I don't shoot portraits but I do have the Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens and it is quite good for the price; many people prefer it over the current 85mm f/1.4 GM, which is eventually going to be replaced by a version 2 one of these days.

For portrait shooting, yes, 85mm is the focal length preferred by most photographers.

Have to admit I don't use my 85mm f/1.8 all that often but when I do I always appreciate what it can do. Nice bokeh/background blur with good sharpness right where it is needed and wanted: on the primary subject.

As for the malady of GAS: yes, I daresay all (or at least the majority) of us photographers do continue to experience that, regardless of how much gear we already have! Welcome to the club.....

Other than my recommendation for lens brand, the rest is still pertinent. More portraits? Favor the 85. More general? Favor the 55.

You've got 55 already covered with your current zoom lens so maybe it'd be more interesting to get the 85mm?

Ask yourself what you feel you're missing with your current lens (if anything), that will be your answer.
That is a very good point! We might have a winner!

Other than my recommendation for lens brand, the rest is still pertinent. More portraits? Favor the 85. More general? Favor the 55.
I agree! Sound advice there, thanks! :)

I don't shoot portraits but I do have the Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens and it is quite good for the price; many people prefer it over the current 85mm f/1.4 GM, which is eventually going to be replaced by a version 2 one of these days.

For portrait shooting, yes, 85mm is the focal length preferred by most photographers.

Have to admit I don't use my 85mm f/1.8 all that often but when I do I always appreciate what it can do. Nice bokeh/background blur with good sharpness right where it is needed and wanted: on the primary subject.

As for the malady of GAS: yes, I daresay all (or at least the majority) of us photographers do continue to experience that, regardless of how much gear we already have! Welcome to the club.....
I was hoping my case of GAS would end with the switch to Sony. Who am I kidding, LOL. The 85 seems to be in the lead on several counts n ow. :)

I listened to photography online's podcast yesterday where Ruth asserts that women are immune to the male impulse to buy and collect tech gear.

Therefore your decision is entirely logical, whatever you decide.

Buy one, or two!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well, I actually found the podcast and listened out of curiosity. That segment really surprised me by their comments. I must be an anomaly since I taught myself digital photography by watching Youtube vids.

Last edited:
From a FOV standpoint, an 85 is two-three steps back as compared to a 50, so think in those terms when considering it as a general-purpose lens.

85 is a classic portrait lens. They tend to be very sharp and offer good bokeh for portraits.

If I were thinking mainly portrait + other stuff, I'd get the 85.
If I were thinking mainly other stuff + portrait, I'd get the 55 or a 50.

You don't need to spend big bucks to accomplish this. There is a plethora of 85s on the market for E mount. BH lists a whole bunch, from Meike's 1.8 for $190 to Sony's 1.4 for $1800. The only E-Mount primes I have are Samyang/Rokinon, the 24/1.8, 35/1.4 and 135/1.8. My 85 is the Minolta 85/1.4 A-Mount used with an LA-EA5 adapter. All of them are fantastic lenses. I would look at Sony's 85/1.8 and Samyang/Rokinon's 1.4 offerings in the same price range. Samyang recently induced the Mark II, and they currently have all of them on sale.

GAS? Maybe. Who cares! 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:
I can testify to the Samyang 85mm f1.4 It’s an outstanding lens for portraits on the Sony A7rIII

No problem, just wanting clarification for why you weren't using them. :)
If there is a reason for not shooting a particular lens, the problem is not shooting enough overall. A problem I am working on.

Portraits is something I did for a very long time professionally, a fast short to medium telephoto would normally be the first choice. So I would skip the 50-55 since you already have the medium zoom. I would recommend the 85 or 135, and for the most versatility any of the 70-200 zooms would do great.

Portraits is something I did for a very long time professionally, a fast short to medium telephoto would normally be the first choice. So I would skip the 50-55 since you already have the medium zoom. I would recommend the 85 or 135, and for the most versatility any of the 70-200 zooms would do great.
Thanks, I think I finally decided on getting the 85 for now, and your post reinforces that decision. Appreciate all the responses! :)

Thanks, I think I finally decided on getting the 85 for now, and your post reinforces that decision. Appreciate all the responses! :)

coming in late to the discussion, but allow me to add that the 55mm Zony lens was considered a good lens for quite a while (it was the first Sony lens I bought), but I’d consider it surpassed by both the 50mm GM lenses (f/1.2 and f/1.4) now. It is still lightweight, but the CA makes me avoid recommending it today.

I choose a 50mm when shooting portraits of “people in context” - shooting someone seated at a desk, for example, or standing in front of their work, … For head-and-shoulders, yes, an 85 or 100 - I don’t shoot a lot of those.

coming in late to the discussion, but allow me to add that the 55mm Zony lens was considered a good lens for quite a while (it was the first Sony lens I bought), but I’d consider it surpassed by both the 50mm GM lenses (f/1.2 and f/1.4) now. It is still lightweight, but the CA makes me avoid recommending it today.

I choose a 50mm when shooting portraits of “people in context” - shooting someone seated at a desk, for example, or standing in front of their work, … For head-and-shoulders, yes, an 85 or 100 - I don’t shoot a lot of those.
Thanks for responding. :)

The reputation of that Zeiss 55 is the reason I was considering it. I felt like if that lens had that much "special quality" to it, then I would adjust my portrait shooting style to the lens. Mark Galer regards it very highly and he's been my goto guy for youtube vids right now. That's really the main reason I was considering it. No one else brought up how good that lens is, so it makes more sense to use the 50-55 on my zoom and add the 85 to it.

I've dropped a lot of money already switching to Sony so I thought I would try to keep this lens cost lower. The 85 1.4 or Sigma 85 Art might make it into my gear bag one day, but not now. I'm thinking for the price the FE 85 1.8 might be my best value option. after much research.

Thanks for responding. :)

The reputation of that Zeiss 55 is the reason I was considering it. I felt like if that lens had that much "special quality" to it, then I would adjust my portrait shooting style to the lens. Mark Galer regards it very highly and he's been my goto guy for youtube vids right now. That's really the main reason I was considering it. No one else brought up how good that lens is, so it makes more sense to use the 50-55 on my zoom and add the 85 to it.

I've dropped a lot of money already switching to Sony so I thought I would try to keep this lens cost lower. The 85 1.4 or Sigma 85 Art might make it into my gear bag one day, but not now. I'm thinking for the price the FE 85 1.8 might be my best value option. after much research.

The 85 f/1.8 was the third lens I bought for Sony, and it is remarkably inexpensive. Plus it’s the only one of the 85s that you listed which can run at 120fps! (Probably not one of your primary concerns right now!). I only gave away my FE 85/1.8 about the end of last year.

I have switched systems four times, and I know the hit. My move to Sony was more gradual, because I could overlap my previous system.

The 85 f/1.8 was the third lens I bought for Sony, and it is remarkably inexpensive. Plus it’s the only one of the 85s that you listed which can run at 120fps! (Probably not one of your primary concerns right now!).
That explains why there have been NO firmware updates for that lens yet. No 120 fps for me. I wouldn't want to edit all those shots!

Perfectly good reason not to buy an A9III ;) o_O:ROFLMAO::unsure:

Interestingly, all the lenses updated for 120fps were zoom lenses…
That's a hard pass for me on the A9III. I do think it's revolutionary though and wonder if global shutters will be the new normal. I have my sights on the A1. Hoping to pick one up when the Mark II comes out. I think that might be my favorite camera right now.

I didn't know that just zooms needed updating. Must have to do with the motors I guess?

That's a hard pass for me on the A9III. I do think it's revolutionary though and wonder if global shutters will be the new normal. I have my sights on the A1. Hoping to pick one up when the Mark II comes out. I think that might be my favorite camera right now.

I didn't know that just zooms needed updating. Must have to do with the motors I guess?

I don’t know why, I just noticed it when updating my lenses. The affected lenses don’t have motorised zoom, though.

I just bought an A1 from Panamoz in the UK on the advice of two of our UK forum members, @spudhead and @Uncle Kevriano. US price: $6498.00 with Sony's 1-year warranty. Panamoz price: $5084.00, shipped, all fees included, and Panamoz's own 3-year US warranty. Brand new for less than used at one of the big resellers with a much better warranty. Panamoz has a five-star rating from Trust Pilot. Took less than a week for it to arrive. Have to watch their prices though, they tend to fluctuate with the market. Right now closer to $5200.

I just bought an A1 from Panamoz in the UK on the advice of two of our UK forum members, @spudhead and @Uncle Kevriano. US price: $6498.00 with Sony's 1-year warranty. Panamoz price: $5084.00, shipped, all fees included, and Panamoz's own 3-year US warranty. Brand new for less than used at one of the big resellers with a much better warranty. Panamoz has a five-star rating from Trust Pilot. Took less than a week for it to arrive. Have to watch their prices though, they tend to fluctuate with the market. Right now closer to $5200.

Wow - so the US price is virtually the same as it was when the camera launched in 2021? Launch price was US$6500. That’s impressive/scary…

The price at Sony Australia has dropped substantially.

Cool to hear you got yourself an A1, though - enjoy!

That's a great deal! Congratulations! I'm basically happy with the A7RIV right now, but know I could be happier with the A1. I will wait it out. I do appreciate the head's up though. I can't wait to see your image posts with the A1.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back