Sony A7R IV Gel stick for Sony sensors with IBIS

brendt

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Brendt
Is anyone using a Pentax O-ICK1 sensor gel stick for cleaning the sensor of a recent Sony a7R camera? It seems to be marketed as being suitable for all sensor types, but I haven't been able to find any specific information indicating it's OK for Sony sensors (for which Eyelead makes a separate, less sticky gel).

I mistakenly used a pink Eyelead on my A7M III, no damage. I do now have the blue Eyelead prominently marked "For SONY" and will use that in the future. It is made for SONY. Seems like a pretty simple decision to me. Why take a chance?

The Eyelead version is currently only be available from Amazon, for which there are numerous reports of mixing of genuine and counterfeit inventory on all sorts of products, and it's almost double the price, so buying the Pentax O-ICK1 from a reliable source such as Adorama or B&H is an attractive option.

I am unaware of "numerous reports of mixing of genuine and counterfeit inventory on all sorts of products" but I am ure you can substantiate this, right?

This is not really relevant to my original question, but yes: this is just one of many reports that can be found via a web search on "amazon counterfeit sd cards" (which seems to be a particularly common product to counterfeit).

I have seen a few videos on YouTube in reference to the Blue gel stick and the give a warning ⚠️ not to use it… apparently it leaves a residue on the sensor..

I have always been too afraid to clean a sensor myself. I realize a lot of photographers do it, so maybe I am just being paranoid, but I don't want to take the risk. Thankfully I have a great camera repair shop in my city - I have known the owner for years - so I just take my cameras to them when I need a sensor cleaning. Considering how infrequently I need it done, it seems like a worthwhile investment (in US currency they charge 45 bucks).

This is not really relevant to my original question, but yes: this is just one of many reports that can be found via a web search on "amazon counterfeit sd cards" (which seems to be a particularly common product to counterfeit).
This will be a shock to you but web searches do not turn up a lot of valid information. What some ninny posts on the internet is his opinion unless it is substantiated by fact. The amount of crap floating around the internet discounts almost all of it as of any value. This is what I believe. You are free to believe whatever you wish. Just show me the proof and not some talk about how it is out on the internet.

I have seen a few videos on YouTube in reference to the Blue gel stick and the give a warning ⚠️ not to use it… apparently it leaves a residue on the sensor..
This may be true. Follow this link to the Amazon page and you will see they promote the pink as Leica, Sony correct. https://smile.amazon.com/Eyelead-Sensor-Cleaning-Leica-Cameras/dp/B07S8KPS1K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=10GKABK0SVQ0S&keywords=eyelead+sensor+gel+stick&qid=1660429047&sprefix=eyelead,aps,172&sr=8-5

And then this fellow with a pink Eyelead gel stick on his Sony. His results are the same as mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcRMizSn66E

Last edited:
I have always been too afraid to clean a sensor myself. I realize a lot of photographers do it, so maybe I am just being paranoid, but I don't want to take the risk. Thankfully I have a great camera repair shop in my city - I have known the owner for years - so I just take my cameras to them when I need a sensor cleaning. Considering how infrequently I need it done, it seems like a worthwhile investment (in US currency they charge 45 bucks).
I was, too, until I tried it. The pink gel stick is simple enough for a child. I tried it, it worked. This fellow had the same results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcRMizSn66E

And this fellow, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqLjWdcZ-HU

The gel stick from Eyelead is ~US$60 and will clean your sensor many, many times. Replacement papers for it are cheap. But if you are too nervous to do it the camera store is your best bet, for sure.

Amazon says the pink is for Leica and Sony. I have a video Leica shot of assembling M8's in the factory and they use a pink Eyelead gel stick to clean the sensors there. They clean the whole sensor before dabbing the gel stick onto the paper to clean it. I'd guess they know what they are doing in use of the gel stick.

Last edited:
This will be a shock to you but web searches do not turn up a lot of valid information. What some ninny posts on the internet is his opinion unless it is substantiated by fact. The amount of crap floating around the internet discounts almost all of it as of any value. This is what I believe. You are free to believe whatever you wish. Just show me the proof and not some talk about how it is out on the internet.

You seem to have misunderstood my response to your first posting in this thread. It was intended as an explanation for why I remain interested in the Pentax gel stick option despite your recommendation, and not as an invitation to initiate a pointless argument.

Amazon says the pink is for Leica and Sony. I have a video Leica shot of assembling M8's in the factory and they use a pink Eyelead gel stick to clean the sensors there. They clean the whole sensor before dabbing the gel stick onto the paper to clean it. I'd guess they know what they are doing in use of the gel stick.

Are you sure it's the Eyelead gel stick? In both this video (see around 13:20) and the image at the end of this article the gel stick being used by Leica looks much more like the Pentax O-ICK1 than the Eyelead product.

You seem to have misunderstood my response to your first posting in this thread. It was intended as an explanation for why I remain interested in the Pentax gel stick option despite your recommendation, and not as an invitation to initiate a pointless argument.
I just want to dispel the rumor that gel sticks are deadly to Sony sensors. Use a single edge razor blade if you wish but I remain unconvinced that Eyeleads are dangerous. A visit to the Amazon page on the subject will bear this out. YMMV

I'm certainly not suggesting that genuine Eyelead gel sticks are problematic. The concern is that there are counterfeit versions (see, e.g. a warning from the US importer) that do seem prone to causing significant damage, and that are probably responsible for many of the worst reviews for this product on Amazon.

If you read the entire warning from the US importer you will have read that they have passed ALL SALES to Amazon. They point out that there are other gel sticks but they are not Eyelead's.

"Where to Buy​

We have moved all of the sales of the Sensor Gel Stick to Amazon. If you would like to purchase the product, please use the links below:"

They are also available from other sources which I cannot explain and will not try. They point out that they believe the problems have arisen from counterfeit items and that almost all repair shops use their product. This is all pretty simple to me and I believe the subject is awash with nonsense reports from less than competents who either cannot/will not/did not read the instructions or used counterfeit products. As always, YMMV.

Back