Heipi Travel Tripod...

• Thread starter Deleted Member 5045
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 5045

I picked one of these up yesterday and will take it out for a good run on the weekend. The three pillar central column really caught my eye and I think it's an interesting design. Upon pulling it out of the box it really is a very impressive piece of kit which all the mechanisms operate as neatly as you would hope, and the overall feeling of it is very solid with the large ball head and that central column.

At first I thought it seemed a bit gimmicky, but great review after great review had me intrigued and in the flesh you can see it definitely isn't a gimmick at all. They've somehow managed to make it feel classy and well finished despite the odd additions. Fantastic.

We'll see how we go but first impression is very positive. ✅

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had one for a while now, I chose it based on reviews comparing it to the much more expensive peak design offering.

So far, I've been very pleased.

I found it a bit too light when trying to photograph a channel marker near Morecombe Bay recently. The wind nearly took the lot, but I doubt anything else would have faired much better.

Don't forget the mobile phone clamp, it's easy to miss.

That's cool Dave, nice to see you are a fan of it. I wanted a really light tripod that will raise up to a pretty high level. My little Explorer only goes to about a metre and my Three Legged Thing although it goes to a good height just seems too bulky these days, and I have a full size Vanguard one which I only really use for paid work. The thing that turned me off all the other offerings in this travel category were the skinny centre columns, I did like the look of the Benro Cyanbird but once that flimsy centre column comes out it's basically useless. The Heipi seemed too good to be true, it's a cracker that's for sure!

I wouldn't even be confident in leaving my camera unattended on my big tripod in windy conditions, a few kilos will blow over very easily.

I really like mine. The compactness of it makes it great for travel and it does get high enough that it isn't a pain to us. The center column becoming its own small tripod is a nice addition for travel as well. This is now my most used tripod.

The wind nearly took the lot, but I doubt anything else would have faired much better.
Hang your camera bag on the hook under the head. Problem solved.

I really like mine. The compactness of it makes it great for travel and it does get high enough that it isn't a pain to us. The center column becoming its own small tripod is a nice addition for travel as well. This is now my most used tripod.

Nice! I had no idea if anyone here had heard of it or not. All I could find was one small shop in Australia that had the thing and the guy told me he sorted the import out himself.

Do you have any criticism of it mate?

Yeah, have you tried that?

It's one area of the design that isn't so good.
Yes, I have. Works fine on all of mine. Seems maybe you've found a flaw in the Heipi design.

Do you have any criticism of it mate?
There are a couple but more minor things and not worse than any other tripod that I have owned.
1. You can still move the camera when the head appears to be in the locked position. That said I have had my 200-600 connected at an angle that one would think would make the head unit slide out of position but it held for 10+ hours. It might just be the spinach in me that makes this possible.
2. The knob on the ball head is too small and sharp - but looking at the website they say they fixed this.
3. The leg section locks can appear in the locked position but are not fully locked, just make sure you feel them click into the locked position.
4. Because the center column can be used as a mini tripod you need to be careful when pulling it up and that you do not pull it so high that it is no longer capable of being locked in place.

Yeah, have you tried that?

It's one area of the design that isn't so good.

I've already taken that little plate off and removed that camera hook. Any time I'm ever concerned about the tripod toppling over I just keep my hand on it, or if I need to walk away from it I just get Liz to hold onto it. Seeming that these are sea side circumstances I'm usually holding a microfibre towel over the camera between exposures anyway. Problem solved... ✅

There are a couple but more minor things and not worse than any other tripod that I have owned.
1. You can still move the camera when the head appears to be in the locked position. That said I have had my 200-600 connected at an angle that one would think would make the head unit slide out of position but it held for 10+ hours. It might just be the spinach in me that makes this possible.
2. The knob on the ball head is too small and sharp - but looking at the website they say they fixed this.
3. The leg section locks can appear in the locked position but are not fully locked, just make sure you feel them click into the locked position.
4. Because the center column can be used as a mini tripod you need to be careful when pulling it up and that you do not pull it so high that it is no longer capable of being locked in place.

Cheers for that mate. Will keep an eye on those things. 🙂

sounds like junk to me just get a Gitzo cameras and lenses cost thousands and tripod legs that dont lock, really

Sweet. Show me a Gitzo that weighs under 1.5kg and isn't flimsy when extended to +1.5m high, I couldn't find one. The reason I bought this is because it's the only lightweight tripod that has solid support at that height.

Sweet. Show me a Gitzo that weighs under 1.5kg and isn't flimsy when extended to +1.5m high. The reason I bought this is because it's the only lightweight tripod that has solid support at that height.
That is the point lightweight is not always the best route, nice to hear from you I thought you were blanking me

That is the point lightweight is not always the best route, nice to hear from you I thought you were blanking me

It is the best route when the main priority is weight. It's never going to be as strong and safe as my big Vanguard tripod which is bullet proof, that's physics isn't it...

Blanking you? I thought it's been business as usual, there's only one person I don't associate with on here, everyone else are cool in my eyes. Didn't I send you a love heart last week on one of your posts?

It is the best route when the main priority is weight. It's never going to be as strong and safe as my big Vanguard tripod which is bullet proof, that's physics isn't it...

Blanking you? I thought it's been business as usual, there's only one person I don't associate with on here, everyone else are cool in my eyes. Didn't I send you a love heart last week on one of your posts?
I guess you use short lenses for your landscape stuff so it if you feel its good that is what matters :)

It is the best route when the main priority is weight.
The best thing is it isn't just weight. This is a comparison between a tri of tris - Manfrotto BeFree - Heipi Travel - Benro Travel Angel series 2
The Manfrotto and Heipe weigh nearly the same but as you can see the Heipe is more compact. The size of the Heipi makes it so much easier to carry on the camera bag or stuff into another bag or suitcase or even for your personal tripod carrying human to carry it around.
20231028_082212.jpg
  • Galaxy S23 Ultra
  • ISO 2000

20231028_082250.jpg
  • Galaxy S23 Ultra
  • 6.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/24 sec
  • ISO 1000

The best thing is it isn't just weight. This is a comparison between a tri of tris - Manfrotto BeFree - Heipi Travel - Benro Travel Angel series 2
The Manfrotto and Heipe weigh nearly the same but as you can see the Heipe is more compact. The size of the Heipi makes it so much easier to carry on the camera bag or stuff into another bag or suitcase or even for your personal tripod carrying human to carry it around.
View attachment 49239
View attachment 49240

I agree mate. The thing is an engineering marvel. My Three Legged Thing is pretty much the same comparison as what you've shown, basically the same weight but the Heipi can fit into my drink bottle holder on the bag. I took the Heipi out today, it is definitely what I thought it would be, you won't find a lightweight tripod that comes anywhere near the sturdiness of it. I'm very impressed! ✅

Yes, I have. Works fine on all of mine. Seems maybe you've found a flaw in the Heipi design.
Apologies for the delay. This is the hook in question with a door key for scale.

There is no way that I would hang my camera bag off that in a force 6 easterly on a rocky shore.

In my view it is a definite design weakness. Otherwise, I think it's an extremely well thought out product.

20231031_114133.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 200/10000 sec
  • ISO 320

Apologies for the delay. This is the hook in question with a door key for scale.

There is no way that I would hang my camera bag off that in a force 6 easterly on a rocky shore.

In my view it is a definite design weakness. Otherwise, I think it's an extremely well thought out product.

View attachment 49512

As I said, I undone the plate then removed the hook. I've never used that on any tripod. I'd rather just keep my hands on the camera and tripod in windy conditions rather than still take a risk by just adding weight to it. If I'm supporting the thing personally then I can be 100% certain that it ain't going to topple over.

As I said, I undone the plate then removed the hook. I've never used that on any tripod. I'd rather just keep my hands on the camera and tripod in windy conditions rather than still take a risk by just adding weight to it. If I'm supporting the thing personally then I can be 100% certain that it ain't going to topple over.
I agree. I stopped using the hook after an outing in which it was windy enough to start pushing the bag around which was causing jitters in the image.

I don't remove the hook because 1) too lazy but also 2) sometimes I'll spray down the tripod then hang it to dry by the hook.

Carry an empty onion sack in your bag and fill it with local ballast. Doesn't catch the wind as much and if it falls no one cares.

I doubt that hook is as wimpy as it looks. It doesn't seem like they'd cheap out on that part when the rest of it is so well built.

Carry an empty onion sack in your bag and fill it with local ballast. Doesn't catch the wind as much and if it falls no one cares.

I doubt that hook is as wimpy as it looks. It doesn't seem like they'd cheap out on that part when the rest of it is so well built.

Mate I've seen TIG welding rods holding a lot more than they should, I might mention that to Heipi for the version II, that should shave off another gram or so... 🏆

What does everyone think of the PeakDesign carbon fibre travel tripod. It's on at a pretty good price in the current sales (£339). It has a max payload of 9.1kg, weight of 1.27kg, max height (without centre column) 131cm and max height (with centre column) 152cm.

What does everyone think of the PeakDesign carbon fibre travel tripod. It's on at a pretty good price in the current sales (£339). It has a max payload of 9.1kg, weight of 1.27kg, max height (without centre column) 131cm and max height (with centre column) 152cm.

What turned me off those types was the low maximum height without the centre column because as soon as you start lifting that flimsy centre column you are losing stability big time. I do most of my shooting quite low with my landscape/travel tripods, but I still want to have good strength for the times I do shoot up high.

I liked the Benro Cyanbird until I factored in this idea, then it eliminated pretty much every one of these types of tripods on the market.

The shittest thing about the PD is having to raise that centre column just to have any movement on the ball head. Instant weakness...

What turned me off those types was the low maximum height without the centre column because as soon as you start lifting that flimsy centre column you are losing stability big time. I do most of my shooting quite low with my landscape/travel tripods, but I still want to have good strength for the times I do shoot up high.

I liked the Benro Cyanbird until I factored in this idea, then it eliminated pretty much every one of these types of tripods on the market.

The shittest thing about the PD is having to raise that centre column just to have any movement on the ball head. Instant weakness...
You only need to raise the centre column a couple of cms to be able to use the ball head. Not sure that will introduce to much instability. The question is will 131 cm be high enough?

You only need to raise the centre column a couple of cms to be able to use the ball head. Not sure that will introduce to much instability. The question is will 131 cm be high enough?

I'm not a fan of design flaws or weaknesses. If something is possible with an item I want to be able to do it with confidence, or at the very least I want to be able to remachine or just remove it altogether to fix the problem. If I can't do either of those to remedy the situation then an average design is useless. Last thing I want when I'm concentrating on taking photos is to be thinking about a piece of equipment not doing it's job properly.

I also liked the Benro Tortoise 34c. That one goes to 144cm. Thought I'd mention that mate. Probably enough height to get up over most hand rails I'd think. Nicely built too, I like Benro.

Back