Hello All - Sony Newbie here :)

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Joe14

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
May 7, 2022
Name
Joe
Good evening all,

Thank you for letting me join your community. I am totally new to Sony FF having just got my new A7iv and am really looking forward to learning all it amazing features.

I feels this community is going to be great for me and looking forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks again
Joe :)

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Welcome to the Forum Joe. Ono quick question if I may. Did you find your A7 IV in stock in the UK, or did you have to Pre-Order and wait?

Reactions: Joe14

Joe14

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
May 7, 2022
Name
Joe
Welcome to the Forum Joe. Ono quick question if I may. Did you find your A7 IV in stock in the UK, or did you have to Pre-Order and wait?
Hiya Jeff, thank you 🙂 I was very lucky to find a couple of free stock with one of our main camera shops here in the UK. My local branch had finished there pre order list so had a kit set available I could take last week :)

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Welcome again Joe! :) Glad to hear that you managed to find an a7 IV in stock! Which lens did you pick to go with it?

Joe14

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
May 7, 2022
Name
Joe
Welcome again Joe! :) Glad to hear that you managed to find an a7 IV in stock! Which lens did you pick to go with it?
Hello, thank you 🙂 Yes I was very lucky I think! I got the 28-70 kit, 200-600 G & I have the 24-105 G F4 arriving tomorrow… so hop a good set to get me going :)

Reactions: Timothy Mayo

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hello, thank you 🙂 Yes I was very lucky I think! I got the 28-70 kit, 200-600 G & I have the 24-105 G F4 arriving tomorrow… so hop a good set to get me going :)
That's definitely a very nice selection of lenses to get you going and keep you going for some time! :)

MrFotoFool

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 18, 2022
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
Welcome. I am also new to Sony (but not new to photography). I got the same camera, A74, and one of your lenses, the 200-600G. I rented it first and could not believe how sharp it is, even at 600mm. I use Nikon F for my shorter lenses, but was having to carry two setups for wildlife (a moderate telphoto zoom and a longer prime) with Nikon. Sony provided a good one lens solution when I want to focus on wildlife and just carry one setup.

Joe14

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
May 7, 2022
Name
Joe
Welcome. I am also new to Sony (but not new to photography). I got the same camera, A74, and one of your lenses, the 200-600G. I rented it first and could not believe how sharp it is, even at 600mm. I use Nikon F for my shorter lenses, but was having to carry two setups for wildlife (a moderate telphoto zoom and a longer prime) with Nikon. Sony provided a good one lens solution when I want to focus on wildlife and just carry one setup.
Hello and thank you! I haven’t used it too much yet, mainly due to the fact I’m still learning how to set the camera up and it’s feature + like you new to Sony so glad I’m not the only one 🤣 but from the test I have done, I agree it’s an amazing lens paired with the equally brilliant A7iv!

Bird & Wildlife photography is my main subject too and I think I will have many questions regarding the camera itself and subject tips aha.

Thanks again :)

Reactions: MrFotoFool

MrFotoFool

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 18, 2022
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
@Joe14 One tip I can give you is to use slot 2 instead of slot 1, assuming you are using SD cards and assuming you are using single cards. If you use dual cards or CF type A then this point is irrelevant. The reason I mention it is that initially I was using my single SD card in slot 1 (the dual slot that takes either SD or CF A). After about two months the slot failed in that the spring was stuck permanently in the eject position and I had to send it in for warranty repair, which took almost six weeks here in USA due to parts backorder. According to this thread I started on the subject, it's a known issue with this camera. I now use slot 2 only.

Joe14

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
May 7, 2022
Name
Joe
@Joe14 One tip I can give you is to use slot 2 instead of slot 1, assuming you are using SD cards and assuming you are using single cards. If you use dual cards or CF type A then this point is irrelevant. The reason I mention it is that initially I was using my single SD card in slot 1 (the dual slot that takes either SD or CF A). After about two months the slot failed in that the spring was stuck permanently in the eject position and I had to send it in for warranty repair, which took almost six weeks here in USA due to parts backorder. According to this thread I started on the subject, it's a known issue with this camera. I now use slot 2 only.
@MrFotoFool Thank you for this, I will definitely keep this in mind :)

Reactions: MrFotoFool

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.