Hello from Inverness.

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
Hi all,

I‘m happy to be here. I was a Canon shooter for many years and sold all my equipment 3 years ago. Big Mistake.

Well, I’ve switched to Sony A7III. It arrives today.

I hope you don’t mind me posting a pic not from a Sony camera as an introduction.

I took it last night with an iPhone on the shores of Loch Ness.

Harrison

Attachments

• 44482570-BB5F-49E2-8916-621848B8C943.jpeg
    44482570-BB5F-49E2-8916-621848B8C943.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
The monster has washed up on shore!

Welcome to the board. I have the same camera and love it. I would not be surprised if you have the same reaction. Keep posting the photos of Nessie. ;o) You will find a collegial crew here.

Reactions: Harrison Davies

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
The monster has washed up on shore!

Welcome to the board. I have the same camera and love it. I would not be surprised if you have the same reaction. Keep posting the photos of Nessie. ;o) You will find a collegial crew here.
Here she is. Sadly they’ve shipped the lens separately.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 17

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
Welcome to the Forum from another happy A7M3 owner. No lens today! Now that is just plain cruel! What lens are you waiting for?
Hi, and thanks. I’m waiting for the 24-105mm G OSS. I figured with the APSC/Super 35 I can extend without too much loss.

I miss my L lenses, and I hope this lens will treat me well.

Reactions: DavidN

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
What exquisite torture. Charge the battery while you are waiting, and order another or two. I know you will be burning those batteries up.
Spare battery arrives Monday. I may need to wait up to 14th September for the lens. What a killer.

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Spare battery arrives Monday. I may need to wait up to 14th September for the lens. What a killer.
Ouch! That really sucks. I can tell you some good news though. Your battery life will be fantastic. It's even better once you can do one click and turn off your monitor. I shot a lot of shots on my recent vacation using the 24-105. It's really a versatile lens. There is an Icon with two dots on it at the bottom of the left pane on your screen. That is my Flickr page. If you go there, my Album Titled San Juan Island is shot almost entirely with the 24-105. You might as well check it out while you're waiting. Be sure and read the descriptions below the photos. Depending on your viewing equipment, you may be able to click images on Flickr one or two times and zoom in on them. I love doing that with images taken with the Sony camera and lenses. They are mostly "Pin Sharp" as Mark Galer has been known to say.

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
Ouch! That really sucks. I can tell you some good news though. Your battery life will be fantastic. It's even better once you can do one click and turn off your monitor. I shot a lot of shots on my recent vacation using the 24-105. It's really a versatile lens. There is an Icon with two dots on it at the bottom of the left pane on your screen. That is my Flickr page. If you go there, my Album Titled San Juan Island is shot almost entirely with the 24-105. You might as well check it out while you're waiting. Be sure and read the descriptions below the photos. Depending on your viewing equipment, you may be able to click images on Flickr one or two times and zoom in on them. I love doing that with images taken with the Sony camera and lenses. They are mostly "Pin Sharp" as Mark Galer has been known to say.
Thanks so much. Heading to your Flicker now.

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
Wow, just wow. I don’t think my 5D MKII was ever that tack sharp even with calibration. I am blown away at the colours, sharpness and quality of the images. Particularly the church and Marina.

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Wow, just wow. I don’t think my 5D MKII was ever that tack sharp even with calibration. I am blown away at the colours, sharpness and quality of the images. Particularly the church and Marina.
Thank you, Sir, for your kind comments.

J.Duffy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 26, 2021
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
Welcome!!! That is definitely a cruel game by shipping the camera and lens separately. I have the a7r3 and love it. This group is awesome. There are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here. I'm also sorry and I can't refrain, but I love Nessie! Fort George looks like an awesome place to visit as well. Maybe someday.....

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
2D23368E-D522-4A04-BB80-5DEDF309CC28.jpeg
Visited Culloden Battlefield today. Lovely place. Still no lens sadly. Thanks for all the welcomes.

Attachments

• 9BC246F0-574D-4711-A6D8-7A3117D69060.jpeg
    9BC246F0-574D-4711-A6D8-7A3117D69060.jpeg
    621.3 KB · Views: 11

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
I’m only 11 miles away. Will visit off season. Thanks for the heads up. Looks great.
Welcome!!! That is definitely a cruel game by shipping the camera and lens separately. I have the a7r3 and love it. This group is awesome. There are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here. I'm also sorry and I can't refrain, but I love Nessie! Fort George looks like an awesome place to visit as well. Maybe someday.....

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
Culloden is a place of grief in Scottish history. Much blood was spilled there on the moor.
It is indeed. It was peaceful and poignant. As a new resident of Scotland I showed all due deference.

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Hi, and thanks. I’m waiting for the 24-105mm G OSS. I figured with the APSC/Super 35 I can extend without too much loss.

I miss my L lenses, and I hope this lens will treat me well.
Welcome.
Do try also a prime lens, the A7M3 deserves it. I suggest the magnificent and affordable 85F18.
Remember: the best zoom at DXOmark ranks behind at least 100 primes.

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2021
Name
Harrison Davies
Welcome.
Do try also a prime lens, the A7M3 deserves it. I suggest the magnificent and affordable 85F18.
Remember: the best zoom at DXOmark ranks behind at least 100 primes.
ah the 85 1.8. Sublime. Will do.

Last edited:

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
ah the 85 1.8. Sublim. Will do.
If 85mm is not your fav focal length then both the 55 f1.8 and 35 f1.8 are also excellent matches (both price, size, weigh and performance wise) to the A7M3. The GM line is better but IMO those deserve a better body.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.