Hello from Inverness.

Harrison Davies

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Harrison Davies
Hi all,

I‘m happy to be here. I was a Canon shooter for many years and sold all my equipment 3 years ago. Big Mistake.

Well, I’ve switched to Sony A7III. It arrives today.

I hope you don’t mind me posting a pic not from a Sony camera as an introduction.

I took it last night with an iPhone on the shores of Loch Ness.

Harrison

Attachments

• 44482570-BB5F-49E2-8916-621848B8C943.jpeg
    44482570-BB5F-49E2-8916-621848B8C943.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
The monster has washed up on shore!

Welcome to the board. I have the same camera and love it. I would not be surprised if you have the same reaction. Keep posting the photos of Nessie. ;o) You will find a collegial crew here.

Welcome!

The monster has washed up on shore!

Welcome to the board. I have the same camera and love it. I would not be surprised if you have the same reaction. Keep posting the photos of Nessie. ;o) You will find a collegial crew here.
Here she is. Sadly they’ve shipped the lens separately.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 37
Here she is. Sadly they’ve shipped the lens separately.

What exquisite torture. Charge the battery while you are waiting, and order another or two. I know you will be burning those batteries up.

Welcome to the Forum from another happy A7M3 owner. No lens today! Now that is just plain cruel! What lens are you waiting for?
Hi, and thanks. I’m waiting for the 24-105mm G OSS. I figured with the APSC/Super 35 I can extend without too much loss.

I miss my L lenses, and I hope this lens will treat me well.

What exquisite torture. Charge the battery while you are waiting, and order another or two. I know you will be burning those batteries up.
Spare battery arrives Monday. I may need to wait up to 14th September for the lens. What a killer.

Spare battery arrives Monday. I may need to wait up to 14th September for the lens. What a killer.
Ouch! That really sucks. I can tell you some good news though. Your battery life will be fantastic. It's even better once you can do one click and turn off your monitor. I shot a lot of shots on my recent vacation using the 24-105. It's really a versatile lens. There is an Icon with two dots on it at the bottom of the left pane on your screen. That is my Flickr page. If you go there, my Album Titled San Juan Island is shot almost entirely with the 24-105. You might as well check it out while you're waiting. Be sure and read the descriptions below the photos. Depending on your viewing equipment, you may be able to click images on Flickr one or two times and zoom in on them. I love doing that with images taken with the Sony camera and lenses. They are mostly "Pin Sharp" as Mark Galer has been known to say.

Ouch! That really sucks. I can tell you some good news though. Your battery life will be fantastic. It's even better once you can do one click and turn off your monitor. I shot a lot of shots on my recent vacation using the 24-105. It's really a versatile lens. There is an Icon with two dots on it at the bottom of the left pane on your screen. That is my Flickr page. If you go there, my Album Titled San Juan Island is shot almost entirely with the 24-105. You might as well check it out while you're waiting. Be sure and read the descriptions below the photos. Depending on your viewing equipment, you may be able to click images on Flickr one or two times and zoom in on them. I love doing that with images taken with the Sony camera and lenses. They are mostly "Pin Sharp" as Mark Galer has been known to say.
Thanks so much. Heading to your Flicker now.

Wow, just wow. I don’t think my 5D MKII was ever that tack sharp even with calibration. I am blown away at the colours, sharpness and quality of the images. Particularly the church and Marina.

Wow, just wow. I don’t think my 5D MKII was ever that tack sharp even with calibration. I am blown away at the colours, sharpness and quality of the images. Particularly the church and Marina.
Thank you, Sir, for your kind comments.

Welcome!!! That is definitely a cruel game by shipping the camera and lens separately. I have the a7r3 and love it. This group is awesome. There are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here. I'm also sorry and I can't refrain, but I love Nessie! Fort George looks like an awesome place to visit as well. Maybe someday.....

2D23368E-D522-4A04-BB80-5DEDF309CC28.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max back triple camera 7.5mm f/2.2
  • 7.5 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/122 sec
  • ISO 20

Visited Culloden Battlefield today. Lovely place. Still no lens sadly. Thanks for all the welcomes.

Attachments

• 9BC246F0-574D-4711-A6D8-7A3117D69060.jpeg
    9BC246F0-574D-4711-A6D8-7A3117D69060.jpeg
    621.3 KB · Views: 27
I’m only 11 miles away. Will visit off season. Thanks for the heads up. Looks great.
Welcome!!! That is definitely a cruel game by shipping the camera and lens separately. I have the a7r3 and love it. This group is awesome. There are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here. I'm also sorry and I can't refrain, but I love Nessie! Fort George looks like an awesome place to visit as well. Maybe someday.....

Culloden is a place of grief in Scottish history. Much blood was spilled there on the moor.
It is indeed. It was peaceful and poignant. As a new resident of Scotland I showed all due deference.

Hi, and thanks. I’m waiting for the 24-105mm G OSS. I figured with the APSC/Super 35 I can extend without too much loss.

I miss my L lenses, and I hope this lens will treat me well.
Welcome.
Do try also a prime lens, the A7M3 deserves it. I suggest the magnificent and affordable 85F18.
Remember: the best zoom at DXOmark ranks behind at least 100 primes.

Welcome.
Do try also a prime lens, the A7M3 deserves it. I suggest the magnificent and affordable 85F18.
Remember: the best zoom at DXOmark ranks behind at least 100 primes.
ah the 85 1.8. Sublime. Will do.

Last edited:
ah the 85 1.8. Sublim. Will do.
If 85mm is not your fav focal length then both the 55 f1.8 and 35 f1.8 are also excellent matches (both price, size, weigh and performance wise) to the A7M3. The GM line is better but IMO those deserve a better body.

It showed up! A little earlier that you had been led to believe? Congratulations.

It showed up! A little earlier that you had been led to believe? Congratulations.
I actually ended up cancelling it. Waiting 2 days for Amazon to release my funds with my bank and re-ordered and still arrived before due date. Crazy.

B348768D-F074-4BB5-ACFF-811F1D8CE022.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 320

First pic. Not super exciting…

Oh, aye, let the madness begin! Let's see how quickly you can drain a battery. ;o)

64D3D8AE-0D18-4B7E-97DC-7FDE592D7B60.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 500

Been having fun. Realise I also need a lens with more zoom.

Attachments

• 95100C02-58C2-4A77-9B03-AEAE5259DCDF.jpeg
    95100C02-58C2-4A77-9B03-AEAE5259DCDF.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 22
View attachment 12918
Been having fun. Realise I also need a lens with more zoom.

I have a very small lens kit: the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 and the Sony 24 - 240. I use the zoom almost exclusively now. I like the color and definition. I bought a bag of Leicas and another bag of non-Leica lenses to go with them. I'm not quite sure about the "Leica magic" but I am sure about the Sony magic. My success rate is higher with Sony, like from 2% to 4%. It's doubled! LOL Anyway, I enjoy the A7M III very much. And the 24 - 240 zoom covers about all I want to do. The Ken Rockwell review is quite glowing - I agree - and he calls it "the only lens you will ever need." (https://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/lenses/24-240mm.htm) It pretty much is for me. You may want to rent it for a tryout or you can just piss off the egg money and buy one. If you were closer I could lend you mine for a week but I just can't quite reach you. Oh, aye, it's guid fae all.

Last edited:
I have a very small lens kit: the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 and the Sony 24 - 240. I use the zoom almost exclusively now. I like the color and definition. I bought a bag of Leicas and another bag of non-Leica lenses to go with them. I'm not quite sure about the "Leica magic" but I am sure about the Sony magic. My success rate is higher with Sony, like from 2% to 4%. It's doubled! LOL Anyway, I enjoy the A7M III very much. And the 24 - 240 zoom covers about all I want to do. The Ken Rockwell review is quite glowing - I agree - and he calls it "the only lens you will ever need." (https://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/lenses/24-240mm.htm) It pretty much is for me. You may want to rent it for a tryout or you can just piss off the egg money and buy one. If you were closer I could lend you mine for a week but I just can't quite reach you. Oh, aye, it's guid fae all.
Hi there thanks for the input and offer. I think I’m going to keep the 24-105 despite its vignetting. I am also considering the 70-200 (did consider the Zeiss 24-70 to replace 24-105, but it’s terrible) and a 200-600.
Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Last edited:
Hi there thanks for the input and offer. I think I’m going to keep the 24-105 despite its vignetting. I am also considering the 70-200 (did consider the Zeiss 24-70 to replace 24-105, but it’s terrible) and a 200-600.
Anyone have any thoughts on these?
I'm surprised to hear you speak of Vignetting as I have not seen this in my Sony 24-105. Did you see my San Juan pictures? I had zero Vignetting in all of those.

Back