Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Maryland
Hey everyone! Not an Alpha shooter quite yet, but I hope to be soon. Currently shoot with a Nikon D810. I’m just a hobbyist with a penchant for expensive things, lol. I’d classify myself as a landscape/street shooter, however I also take “portraits” of my daughters when they feel like cooperating.

I’m eyeing the A7Riv knowing it’s way more than I need. As far as lenses, I really can’t decide. For my Nikon I have the Nikkor 14-24 2.8, 50 1.8 and 24-120 4. I’ve always wanted a 70-200 2.8, maybe now is my time?!

Looking forward to expanding my photography knowledge here.

Thanks for joining Chris! The a7R IV is a beast! There are quite a few lenses to choice from for the E-mount today. If you like to shoot wide then there's the new Sony 12-24 F2.8 GM but it costs almost as much as the a7R IV! The Sigma 14-24mm F/2.8 DG DN lens also receives a lot of love but costs a lot less. The Sony FE 24-105 F4 G is a very popular choice for this focal range. The Sony FE 70-200 F2.8 GM is a great lens but pretty big and heavy. Tamron now also have their 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD which is much lighter and cheaper, although there's no stabilization and the autofocus performance doesn't compete with the Sony version.

I will say, the 14-24 doesn't get as much use as I thought it would when I bought it. So I'd probably not worry about that, at least not at first. I've been looking at the 24-105 4 and the Zeiss 55 1.8 and well a ton of others trying to figure out what I'd like to run with. I will say on the Nikon I'm certainly happier with the shots on the 50 1.8 than I am with the 24-120 4. I think that's due to only running a 35 1.8 on my D7000 prior to the D810, so I'm just used to that FL.

Looks like I should have at least pulled the trigger on the camera yesterday as it's back up to full MSRP now. Shucks!

Looks like I should have at least pulled the trigger on the camera yesterday as it's back up to full MSRP now. Shucks!
If you are not in a rush the discounts tend to come up quite often, especially in the US. I doubt you'll have to wait very long for the next round.

Indeed. That's the first time I'd ever seen it priced at 2999.99, usually on sale they're around 3200 here. But yeah they do get to that price pretty frequently.

Just went and picked my A7riv with 55 1.8 to start. My 50 1.8 pretty much lived on my Nikon so this should be pretty familiar.

just need the battery to charge so I can take it for a spin.

New in Marketplace

Back