Hello from S. Carolina!

Mister G

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Rodney G.
Good morning/afternoon/evening All! I'm a brand new Sony user, just purchased my first Sony camera (A7IV) this past Friday. I'm super excited to be part of the community. I'm not sure what I my main subject of shooting will be but I'm leaning towards portrait, street, or macro shooting. Any suggestions on what my next lens should be? Currently only have the kitlens but plan on buying something soon, like this week or next just to have some options. If there is a thread on beginner lens, please link it, I will definitely read it. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a wonderful day!

I'm not sure what I my main subject of shooting will be but I'm leaning towards portrait, street, or macro shooting. Any suggestions on what my next lens should be?
I believe you have the 28-70mm 3.5-5.6 lens? That is a good range to get a feel for what you might like to do, so take a month or so to get to understand what you like and also to figure out what your budget is. Last thing any of us want to do here is suggest a lens that you don't end up using.

Welcome to the forum!

Before getting a new lens, give the kit lens some time until you get used to it and slowly start to realize what you feel missing and what you're happy with, which style you are growing into, the strengths you want to reinforce... Check your pictures, compare what focal length you tend to use by instinct, find the ones that you think would have benefited from a better lens (and why)...

Only then you can check for a useful lens that works for you. It's an exciting journey: enjoy it!

I believe you have the 28-70mm 3.5-5.6 lens? That is a good range to get a feel for what you might like to do, so take a month or so to get to understand what you like and also to figure out what your budget is. Last thing any of us want to do here is suggest a lens that you don't end up using.
Correct that's the lens I currently have. You have a good point. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

Before getting a new lens, give the kit lens some time until you get used to it and slowly start to realize what you feel missing and what you're happy with, which style you are growing into, the strengths you want to reinforce... Check your pictures, compare what focal length you tend to use by instinct, find the ones that you think would have benefited from a better lens (and why)...

Only then you can check for a useful lens that works for you. It's an exciting journey: enjoy it!
Thank you for the feedback and I will do just that! Thank you!

Good morning/afternoon/evening All! I'm a brand new Sony user, just purchased my first Sony camera (A7IV) this past Friday. I'm super excited to be part of the community. I'm not sure what I my main subject of shooting will be but I'm leaning towards portrait, street, or macro shooting. Any suggestions on what my next lens should be? Currently only have the kitlens but plan on buying something soon, like this week or next just to have some options. If there is a thread on beginner lens, please link it, I will definitely read it. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a wonderful day!

I have the A7iv which I purchased to travel on holiday, along with 24-240mm lens. The lens did well enough in rain, snow and freezing temperatures and never left the camera body.

I reckon you need to decide if you like zoom lenses, or you prefer prime lenses with greater apertures.

Since the original purchase and a great holiday, I purchased obsessively in this order:

20mm F1.8
85mm F1.8
200-600 zoom
35mm F1.4
135mm F1.8
14mm F1.8
55mm F1.8
90mm F2.5 macro

fact is, I don’t think any one of these lens is so specific it must be used for one genre only. They’re all quite versatile and each has its own character and feel. I haven’t used that original zoom lens since I got back from holidays. Nothing wrong with it, but it’s not as satisfying as any of these others.

That 90mm lens is very versatile, though you might prefer the 20mm, 35mm or 55mm for street.

Welcome Rodney and thanks for joining up here. Congrats on the new a7 IV too! :) Like others have mentioned, maybe stick with the kit lens for a few weeks to see how you get on with that focal range. If you enjoy macro then the Sony FE 90mm F2.8 is definitely worth taking a closer look at, it can also double up as a portrait lens. You'll find a complete list of Sony E-Mount Lenses here along with third-party lenses like Tamron and Sigma.

Welcome!

Back