Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
New York
Hello-
I'm yet another long time Canon shooter making the transition to Sony mirrorless. I have a pre-order on the A7IV. I struggled with the decision between the R6 or changing over to the Alpha 7 IV, but I really like the idea of additional pixels to crop in a bit when needed (large prints) and the available lenses for the E mount system. I will acquire some lenses while I wait for the body to come in.

I'm not a professional but do enjoy as a hobbyist.

Looking forward to being a part of the community and all your input.
Jeff

Welcome to the board, yet another Sony victory and it’s a shame Canon just didn’t evolve… (I too was Canon).

Welcome to the Forum Jeff.

Welcome, some lovely scenery in your part of the world!

Welcome Jeff and thanks for joining up here and introducing yourself! Congratulations on the a7 IV purchase too, it does sounds like a very good camera. Which lenses are you thinking about?

Thank you for the welcome.
Regarding lenses: I have a long list (probably because I have in my mind 'replacing' the EF mount lenses I have). I'm open to any suggestions or advice,
Eventually I would like to have Primes in : 24mm, 35mm, 85mm and additionally 70-200 2.8 and the 90mm macro. Possibly a 50mm prime as well though I don't reach for that often with my canon gear... but since they are inexpensive I probably will.

I like the idea of the E mount having 3rd party lenses like Sigma and Tamron but on the other hand I wonder about their auto focus (if it is slower or not).

The native Sony lenses are generally faster when it comes to autofocus than third-party lenses like Sigma and Tamron. Of course you do pay a premium for them unfortunately. The Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM and Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM are both very good lenses, the FE 85mm F1.4 GM beats the FE 85mm F1.8 lens in image quality, but the AF is actually a little slower! So you'll definitely want to compare these two carefully and if you are thinking about going for the Sony FE 90mm F2.8 G Macro then you might not even need an 85mm lens. The new Sony FE 70-200 F2.8 GM Mk II looks very good, but the Tamron 70-180 F2.8 is a very good lens for the price. There are definitely quite a few choices for E-mount these days! :)

Thanks for the advice Tim.
I'm going to try the 90mm macro and hold off on the 85mm... good tip.

Welcome!
I'm not a fan of NYC (big cities aren't my thing) but once you get across the bridge and go to Upstate New York, it is so beautiful! Do you do any landscape photography?

Thanks. Yes , I do landscape photography. I'll be posting some in the future.

Back