Help!! Looking for advise on a on camera flash.

raidy8

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Edes
I have been looking at camera mounted flashes. I am leaning towards the Godox v860 iii-s or the a1-s thoughts. Should I be looking else where. I am fully aware of the hot shoe issue.
Tanks in advance!!

It depends on what you are doing or intend to do with your photography if the Godox will be appropriate.

Hot shoe issue.....if you mean multi shoe over standard hot shoe, pls advise.

It depends on what you are doing or intend to do with your photography if the Godox will be appropriate.

Hot shoe issue.....if you mean multi shoe over standard hot shoe, pls advise.
Macro is my main focus for on camera flash. I currently have OCF covered.

Hi Edes,
If its for field macro such as insects, plants etc as opposed to studio macro I would suggest
you should perhaps consider a ring flash(neewer, nissan etc). Many people do not take to the
ring flash eye highlights in which case you should consider a smaller more portable flash with
G number of 40 - 60 with on camera functionality as well as tethering to the hot shoe by a
flexible lead for lighting up those difficult spaces.

In selecting a smaller mobile flash you also need to consider the lens(es) you are using so that
when your flash is positioned on the hot shoe you can get sufficient light into the space between
the sunject and lens.

There are companies on the internet who will provide custom diffusers tailored to your flash of choice
so that the subject space is immersed in good diffuse light.

Don't mean to overcomplicate this matter but if you are serious about macro you should consider the
above factors to ensure you have an efficient system to support your macro work. If macro is an
occasional interest there are many videos on you tube covering the above matters which will guide
you in the right direction as well as cover low cost set up options for occasional macro shooting.

I have been looking at camera mounted flashes. I am leaning towards the Godox v860 iii-s or the a1-s thoughts. Should I be looking else where. I am fully aware of the hot shoe issue.
Tanks in advance!!
Be aware that the a1 has very little power. I had them and they left me wanting more power. They are nice little flashes otherwise.

The G-Number should guide you Edes, it represents the comparitive power of flashes.

Anything below G40 will be challenging for Macro illumination.....

Tanks in advance!!
The AD200 Pro has a macro ring attachment availab for macro.

Tanks in advance!!
I shoot a Sony A7R4 and use the Godox V1S and love it. Much simpler and cheaper than Sony's flash and I've had both. The flash is very even yet powerful. Also get their domed difuser, it just snaps on/off. Also the battery lasts a long time

Back