Name
Richard Allan
Country
Australia
City/State
Adelaide, South Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi Everyone. When I bought my A7R5 late last year I also got an HVLF60RM2 flash. This is mainly so I can take product pics for my wife's small business. Mainly I just bounce the flash off the ceiling for this but sometimes I need to use the flash off camera. Also, I want to start doing a bit of close-up or even macro photography where an off camera flash could be useful. Anyway, (silly me) I assumed that, as the A7R5 has wireless built in and the flash does also, I wouldn't need any ancillary equipment to achieve this. The Sony wireless adapter is very expensive. I think this Godox X1R-S TTL 2.4G Wireless Flash Trigger Receiver should work but can't find a definitive answer. Just wondering if anyone on here knows for sure. I have access to one quite cheaply.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Thanks for the link Brownie. I'll have a look at that.

Ok, so, after a lot more research, the R in the name of this trigger stands for receiver, which is not what I want. There is also a Godox X1T-S (T for transmitter). After looking again at the one I found, the guy has incorrectly labelled it. It is in fact an X1T-S & it's going for $25. I'm not sure if it will even work with my A7R5 but it should even though the last firmware release was about 6 years ago. So for that price I'm willing to give it a try. These are still selling new for around $60.

There is a newer version - X2T-S, which looks similar & is selling for around $88.

And they have just released an X3 S which is a complete redesign & looks a lot more modern & up to date. I don't know if it actually offers any more features. These are selling, if they are available for about $145. So, still a lot cheaper than Sony's offering.

Anyway, I hope this info is useful for anyone looking for a flash trigger in the future...

I am lost here. I thought the camera would send a signal to a compatible receiver without needing a separate trigger? I'm like you, I thought if the camera and flash are both wireless you shouldn't need anything additional parts or pieces. Hopefully someone can chime in and explain this to me. My use of flash is extremely limited, I just don't need one very often.

I don't believe that the wireless in any of the Sony bodies can fire a remote flash. A hotshot mounted trigger is required. Or another hotshot mounted flash that has a trigger built in. This of course can get expensive.

I don't believe that the wireless in any of the Sony bodies can fire a remote flash. A hotshot mounted trigger is required. Or another hotshot mounted flash that has a trigger built in. This of course can get expensive.
If that's true then this statement from the manual is pretty confusing:

wireless.JPG

It says: "...use a compatible flash or the Wireless Radio Commander..." It doesn't say to use a compatible flash and a wireless commander.

I used to use an optical trigger back in the film days, worked pretty well, but then of course you needed an on-camera flash to trigger the off-camera.

If that's true then this statement from the manual is pretty confusing:

View attachment 57155

It says: "...use a compatible flash or the Wireless Radio Commander..." It doesn't say to use a compatible flash and a wireless commander.

I used to use an optical trigger back in the film days, worked pretty well, but then of course you needed an on-camera flash to trigger the off-camera.
It is confusing. You need a compatible flash OR the Wireless Radio Commander fitted to the camera to fire the remote flash.

Ok, so given that, let me ask you a question:

Instead of investing in a wireless trigger, why not just get a second flash? Since it's all TTL the amount of flash would be regulated by the camera anyway.

Ok, so given that, let me ask you a question:

Instead of investing in a wireless trigger, why not just get a second flash?
Cost mainly. I've spent way too much on this new camera system & accessories already! :oops:

I'd be willing to bet you could get a cheap secondary flash that would work as the slave for $30 on Amazon. the second one doesn't have to be a Godox or Sony, just something compatible like JJC or Neewer, even Amazon brand.

I don't know if that would work. It would have to be able to send out the wireless commander signal & I don't know if something really cheap would be able to do that. I'll see how I go with this Godox thing if I can get it cheap. I'll be away all next week. I'll try to keep doing the research...

I don't know if that would work. It would have to be able to send out the wireless commander signal & I don't know if something really cheap would be able to do that. I'll see how I go with this Godox thing if I can get it cheap. I'll be away all next week. I'll try to keep doing the research...
I thought you already had one that could send the signal? You would only need a cheap one that could receive the signal.

My understanding is you will find that the Godex transmitter on camera will require you to have a Godex receiver on your flash, there may be limitations depending on which Godex set you go for (manual control/TTL ect) The Godex wireless comms and the Sony wireless comms are apparently incompatible. Please see https://briansmith.com/ttl-hss-flash-triggers-sony-multi-interface-shoe/

I'm sure the Sony system will have some details that the Godex does not but it's just stupidly expensive IMO.

I think your best bet from what I can see is to add a Sony HVL-F28RM this can act as either a second on camera flash or commander (you can set it so it does not flash). Not cheap but less than the complex Sony commander.

I hope you find another solution and would be interested to know if you do.

Angus.

Last edited:
I thought you already had one that could send the signal? You would only need a cheap one that could receive the signal.
The flash I already have, the HVLF60RM2, is the one that I want to use off camera…

My understanding is you will find that the Godex transmitter on camera will require you to have a Godex receiver on your flash, there may be limitations depending on which Godex set you go for (manual control/TTL ect) The Godex wireless comms and the Sony wireless comms are apparently incompatible. Please see https://briansmith.com/ttl-hss-flash-triggers-sony-multi-interface-shoe/
Thanks for the link but that article is pretty old now & the Godox transmitter has had several firmware updates since then. Anyway, if I get this thing for $25 we’ll find out for sure…

So, latest news, LOL, I made an offer of $90 on a HVL-F20M flash that was listed on eBay for $130 & it has just been accepted. That's a bit less than half new price here. The seller wasn't very informative but it looks in good condition from the 2 pics. Looks like it's just the bare flash though, no box or anything else but for that price I'm willing to give it a go.

That's a decent price for one of those. This model does not have wireless capability, it signals the off camera flash by IR signal instead.
Unfortunately, you can't turn the flash off and only use it for signalling.
I found this was problematic as your subject will receive light from both flash units.
If you find it's a problem you can dismantle the F20M and install a IR pass filter on the movable internal diffuser, this will allow the IR signal to operate the off camera flash and block the visible light.
With it on the diffuser you can choose to deploy it to have IR filter in play or not to and use the light from the flash. If you want to do this Gary Friedman has an instruction sheet on his site specifically for this modification.

You will also need a direct line of sight between the on and off camera flash units which can be frustrating. The RM models are much more flexible.

If it was me I'd be watching Ebay for a Sony HVL-F28RM which will give you much improved functionality.

Hope helps.

That's a decent price for one of those. This model does not have wireless capability, it signals the off camera flash by IR signal instead.
Unfortunately, you can't turn the flash off and only use it for signalling.
That's ok. I can live with that. It will also be handy to keep in my sling bag as part of my "light weight" kit.

Back