Off camera flash recommendations...

• Thread starter Deleted Member 5045
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 5045

Hey guys. Looking at one maybe two off camera flashes for portrait and studio work. Leaning towards the Godox AD200Pro, it looks quite impressive but I wanted to hear your opinions before I go ahead with it as well as opinions and advice about lighting in general.

I've been doing this type of work here and there in the past year and getting by with just the available lighting, but now I'm getting more and more jobs. Time to look a bit more professional and deliver a little higher quality product I think...

Cheers. 🌞

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your success. I've got the AD300 and AD200. Very occasional user of OCF. Both work well but I really like the Godox mount on the AD300. Super fast to deploy/break down and compact to tote around for on location shooting.

Limited number of available soft boxes for the Godox mount though so if you don't get along with the size (33') it might not be a good choice.

Congrats on your success. I've got the AD300 and AD200. Very occasional user of OCF. Both work well but I really like the Godox mount on the AD300. Super fast to deploy/break down and compact to tote around for on location shooting.

Limited number of available soft boxes for the Godox mount though so if you don't get along with the size (33') it might not be a good choice.

Thanks for the response mate. I have the Godox 95cm octagon softbox in mind which are readily available here.

Thanks for the response mate. I have the Godox 95cm octagon softbox in mind which are readily available here.
That's a nice size and still portable. The 200 and 300 use the same battery which is kind of nice. I like the form factor of the 300 but honestly in terms of use haven't seen a huge difference between the two. I rarely use them at full strength and shoot M instead of HSS.

Either one will do you just fine IMO.

I might preorder the new compact touch screen trigger. Currently using the Looks intriguing and I don't usually run multiple groups so the limitations of the unit won't impact my use cases.

What I don't recommend is the AD 200 LED attachment. It's weak. Not even worth the $25 USD it cost. Way better off with a standalone LED light.

That's a nice size and still portable. The 200 and 300 use the same battery which is kind of nice. I like the form factor of the 300 but honestly in terms of use haven't seen a huge difference between the two. I rarely use them at full strength and shoot M instead of HSS.

Either one will do you just fine IMO.

I might preorder the new compact touch screen trigger. Currently using the Looks intriguing and I don't usually run multiple groups so the limitations of the unit won't impact my use cases.

Beauty! I'm looking at the Xpro-s. Is that the trigger you are running currently?

As too what brand, all I used for many years was Profoto, i realize they are very costly, but amazing light can be had with them. probably a better rental than buy. I see ma lot of people on you tube using Godox, I just have never played with one. Whatever unit you get light shaping attachments variety and availability are most important. There are so many ways to light portraits from the very simple single light to the multiple source shoot. You should get at least a couple of different size soft boxes, some reflector boards white, silver and some black anti-reflective ones. Also if you can try too fined some matte black cinefoil, it great for making snoot and such with you lights. Quality light stands along with some sand bags will last forever.
If you have any specific questions on lighting technique, please do not hesitate to ask, it is what I did for a living for more years than I care to say.
Too bad you do not live here in LA, I could sell you my old Profoto 7B packs with heads for very little. I do not plan on shooting people I need to light anymore

Beauty! I'm looking at the Xpro-s. Is that the trigger you are running currently?
I think there is a version II of the trigger. BTW: Back when I needed to be concerned about this, I carried two triggers and it was a good thing. The shoe can be very tight and one time during a shot I had to remove the trigger and the shoe broke off, I had the spare to save me from the situation. I made sure to have both triggers configured exactly the same so that it was an easy switch over.

As too what brand, all I used for many years was Profoto, i realize they are very costly, but amazing light can be had with them. probably a better rental than buy. I see ma lot of people on you tube using Godox, I just have never played with one. Whatever unit you get light shaping attachments variety and availability are most important. There are so many ways to light portraits from the very simple single light to the multiple source shoot. You should get at least a couple of different size soft boxes, some reflector boards white, silver and some black anti-reflective ones. Also if you can try too fined some matte black cinefoil, it great for making snoot and such with you lights. Quality light stands along with some sand bags will last forever.
If you have any specific questions on lighting technique, please do not hesitate to ask, it is what I did for a living for more years than I care to say.
Too bad you do not live here in LA, I could sell you my old Profoto 7B packs with heads for very little. I do not plan on shooting people I need to light anymore

Cheers mate, valuable information. I'm seeing square softbox's there as well, what are your thoughts on those as opposed to the round ones?

I think there is a version II of the trigger. BTW: Back when I needed to be concerned about this, I carried two triggers and it was a good thing. The shoe can be very tight and one time during a shot I had to remove the trigger and the shoe broke off, I had the spare to save me from the situation. I made sure to have both triggers configured exactly the same so that it was an easy switch over.

Thank you mate. If I end up getting busy with it then having two on hand will be an advantage. I don't even really like taking photos of people, I just enjoy being out in nature. But I guess if I can turn money over with the camera then why not, I'd never do weddings though...

Yep - R2Pro MK II. So far so good. I don't have two Sony Godox triggers but the V1 on camera flash can also be used as a trigger for the AD 300/200.

I normally skip the on camera flash and use the trigger with a two light setup.

The both have value with portraits, although square or rectangular are more useful with product images because of the ability to feather them more than round. Round is more common with people but either will do the job. Later in my career tended to use round one from very large to very small and strip(skinny rectangular) ones more than square. If you get square ones, make sure you can rotate than in the mount. Boxes with removable baffles inside also add to their versatility, they can have either silver or white interiors stay away from gold one unless it is just and extra one to use only once in awhile.

Remember both the size and distance of the source from the subject effects how hard or soft the light is.

Last edited:
Yep - R2Pro MK II. So far so good. I don't have two Sony Godox triggers but the V1 on camera flash can also be used as a trigger for the AD 300/200.

The V1 is my third backup but I wanted to have a quick recovery for the client. Back in 2019, I got the Flashpoint V1 for a good deal. I had a lot more Fujifilm gear over Sony at that time, so I got three Fujifilm V1s and one Sony V1. Also got dual purpose 42" silver and 25" white beauty dish softbox for a good price. Came in quite useful for me back in 2021/2022.

Looks like the R2 Pro isn't available in Australia, only the Xpro-S.

The both have value with portraits, although square or rectangular are more useful with product images because of the ability to feather them more than round. Round is more common with people but either will do the job. Later in my career tended to use round one from very large to very small and strip(skinny rectangular) ones more than square. If you get square ones, make sure you can rotate than in the mount. Boxes with removable baffles inside also add to their versatility, they can have either silver or white interiors stay away from gold one unless it is just and extra one to use only once in awhile.

Definitely tonnes involved in regards to learning how to get the most out of this. Thank you Bob.

I think @pointreyes is referencing this one... I have the Flashpoint version which is a rebranded Godox.

I think @pointreyes is referencing this one... I have the Flashpoint version which is a rebranded Godox.

Sounds like it's an Adorama exclusive.

Sounds like it's an Adorama exclusive.
Yeah. I went through them for warranty support through a vendor that you could send to locally in this country.
Did a Google search is appears that you can find something like that through:
"Photo Equipment Store is registered Godox products reseller in Australia. All Godox products sold are with 12 months local warranty. "
There might be other vendors, that was the first on the list.

Yeah. I went through them for warranty support through a vendor that you could send to locally in this country.
Did a Google search is appears that you can find something like that through:
"Photo Equipment Store is registered Godox products reseller in Australia. All Godox products sold are with 12 months local warranty. "
There might be other vendors, that was the first on the list.

That's the place I will get it from. I bought the Heipi tripod from him since it looked like he was the only shop in Australia with it, and lucky for me he is only 15 minutes away. ✅

I've just bought an AD200Pro. X-Pro II-S. 95cm Octa Godox Softbox. 2m Godox stand. See how I go from here.

Let the fun begin. Thank you for your input gentlemen. 😃

I bought the XPro2 trigger a few weeks ago from Amazon Australia with next day delivery. A$140.
Got a Godox V860iiiS speedlight. Might go a strobe at some stage. The 200 looks good and I think you can bunch two together into a Bowen mount to make an effective 400. I’m a novice with lighting but suspect if shooting outside in right Aussie sun you might need something beefier than a single 200 — 400 or 600Pro?

I bought the XPro2 trigger a few weeks ago from Amazon Australia with next day delivery. A$140.
Got a Godox V860iiiS speedlight. Might go a strobe at some stage. The 200 looks good and I think you can bunch two together into a Bowen mount to make an effective 400. I’m a novice with lighting but suspect if shooting outside in right Aussie sun you might need something beefier than a single 200 — 400 or 600Pro?

What Aussie sun are you talking about mate..? 🤣

I spotted a sliver of it between the floods in Queensland to the north and Victoria to the south. Just not quick enough to catch the shot.

I spotted a sliver of it between the floods in Queensland to the north and Victoria to the south. Just not quick enough to catch the shot.

What's the go with TTL? That's basically an automatic setting right?

yeh basically auto for flash. “Through the lens”. In my playing around I’ve been using that then adjusted +/- on the unit to fine tune. I’m basically a novice. Found a book on lighting people by luck at a second hand book shop which has been handy. Rossella Vanon. I’m getting into portraits of people working and a YouTube on lighting by Jonathon Thorpe was pretty good at showing the set up on a multi-light shoot.

Back