Help with focus points

Tinopener

Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Hi all Just bought a Sony 200-600 lens to go on Sony A911 having trouble setting the two up ..
Tim sent a video which I found interesting but scary .. The little green boxes that appear on screen (focal points) they only appear when in auto mode when in M mode nothing is this right ...In focus area limit all 14 boxes ticked .. AF tracking sen 1 locked on ..When trying to shot a flying bird should the camera lock on to subject with a green box .. When camera is on M and lens is on AF focal points appear turn lens to M points disappear .... Sorry if this seems a silly question but if you don't ask you don't learn .. Thank you Gary

You tell us all about the setup, but not which focus area you've selected to use. Ticking all 14 boxes just makes them available, you still have to set the one you want active.

Use the Function button. Use the rear dial to go to focus and set the focus area you want to use. Try small or medium center with tracking turned on and see what happens.

The camera is capable of keeping your settings for different types of shooting. It sounds like you've turned something off.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 075802.jpg

Personally speaking, I use single centre for everything static, and for birds in flight either Zone or Expanded Flexible Spot. I will occasionally use Centre with tracking too, for big birds.

Personally speaking, I use single centre for everything static, and for birds in flight either Zone or Expanded Flexible Spot. I will occasionally use Centre with tracking too, for big birds.
I’m much like you Kev.

there are other factors in play with the a9 and focus with the 200-600, I dont find locked on setting 1 works well, as others say more info required

Thank you all for your answers shall be giving them all ago ..... Gary

Back