How do you know how many frames per second you are achieving?

Raindog

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how do you know what fps you are achieving? Is there an indicator somewhere as I've not been able to find it. I'm using the a9.

Thanks!

Will

There is no indicator. If you have your cameras drive mode set to the fastest frame rate such as 20fps on the a9 there is still no guarantee that you will be getting 20 fps. To achieve 20 fps the lens needs to support this frame rate and additional prerequisites need to be met. You can find all the details along with which lenses support 20 fps on the a9 here: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/ilc/products/ilce9/continuousshooting/en/index.html

Okay, thanks for confirming. It was watching the A1 reviewers confidently stating they were reaching 30fps. Got me thinking am I missing an indicator or something. How do they know it wasn't 29? Then I though if there was an indicator then it would be interesting to try out different configurations and see how it impacted the fps. But thank you for the reply.

Okay, thanks for confirming. It was watching the A1 reviewers confidently stating they were reaching 30fps. Got me thinking am I missing an indicator or something. How do they know it wasn't 29? Then I though if there was an indicator then it would be interesting to try out different configurations and see how it impacted the fps. But thank you for the reply.
The only way they will know for sure how many frames they have got is to time the burst then count them, I think Mark Galer did this.

I set my A9 to AF priority on the Focus/Release setting, not the default 'balanced', and on 10 fps regularly get less where the scene isn't optimal - a clear BIF against a plain background. Against a busy background it can drop to 3 fps (n of shots/seconds).
In balanced mode the body accepts shots that aren't tack sharp.

So the advertised rate is conditional.

My D500 is the same.

I set my A9 to AF priority on the Focus/Release setting, not the default 'balanced', and on 10 fps regularly get less where the scene isn't optimal - a clear BIF against a plain background. Against a busy background it can drop to 3 fps (n of shots/seconds).
In balanced mode the body accepts shots that aren't tack sharp.

So the advertised rate is conditional.

My D500 is the same.
Thanks for the reply and info. You have some stunning shots on your flickr bird book, well done!

Back