Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
Shooting at an event that is volunteer only and I was struck with the reality of how some peoples perspectives are on camera equipment.
Sony A1 with battery grip and Tamron 35-150.

"Nice camera, cost about a thousand?"

šŸ˜

Why does it matter?

No, it does not matter.

Sounds good to me, means they won't ask many questions about it and leave me alone.

One thing I always do find amusing is how people will be surprised how much I spend on certain toys and hobbies, even when I don't really use it and just bought it for an odd occasion. Same person has a $110,000 Audi on finance yet doesn't understand why I have a nice jet ski, motocross bike etc in the garage which barely get used. I put it down to people who borrow money for any decent thing they buy, they view items as how much it is to pay it off each week rather than just a possible rego and insurance each year.

I occasionally have people talking about buying something and scrummaging through deals in regards to what they can afford to pay each week. I'll say why don't you just save and buy something within your means. No, because they 'have to have that one'. I don't know, I've never understood why people borrow money for luxuries...

we all have things that others cannot believe what we spent on the them, but I also find it a sliding scale. I think my guitars were expensive at between 3 to 6 thousand each, luckily they hold or exceed their value now, but you can buy a good guitar for less than thousand or have lots of money and spend $100,000 on some special vintage one. I cannot relate to the money spent on shoes, handbags or jewelry but have no issues with money spent on cameras, kitchen knives and tools. I could never understand spending thousands on a vacation to some exotic local to spend the whole time with a cocktail lounging on the beach. At the same time many will think me nuts for spending almost the same amount of money I spent on buying my new Jeep to modify it to be a more capable offroad vehicle.
I do not have an issue with the person who does not understand the costs of my cameras, I have more issue with them saying the only reason the images are good is because of the money spent.

Shooting at an event that is volunteer only and I was struck with the reality of how some peoples perspectives are on camera equipment.

šŸ˜
At least you donā€™t have to worry about them stealing it :)

At least you donā€™t have to worry about them stealing it :)

The average person still thinks big DSLR bodies with big lenses are the most expensive. Few people outside of the hobby actually know that high performance is really compact now. Works in photographer's favour I suppose, the guy with the big cheap DSLR gets robbed whilst the guy with the expensive mirrorless combo basically walks around invisible.

Arguably, the fact that all Sonyā€™s FF bodies look largely the same makes them less obvious to steal, doesnā€™t it? My A1 looks a lot like someone elseā€™s A7 IIā€¦

Yeah - what you said, Clint!

Of course, the ā€œunluckyā€ sod with a Z9ā€¦

I get asked quite often, but it's always a genuine question, rather than flippant like this. will always say, but also indicate that there is no need to spend 5K + on gear.

I keep telling my camera club that there are those that spend thousands on camera and lens and some still can't take a good photo and there are those that have a basic camera body and lens and take great pics.
Its always down to the person behind the camera that matters, yes good gear can help but if you have no idea it won't make any difference.

I keep telling my camera club that there are those that spend thousands on camera and lens and some still can't take a good photo and there are those that have a basic camera body and lens and take great pics.
Its always down to the person behind the camera that matters, yes good gear can help but if you have no idea it won't make any difference.

It's not what camera is in front of the photographer, it is what photographer is behind the camera. āœ…ļø

It is often attributed to Ansel Adams: "The single most important component of a camera is twelve inches behind it".

The other one I liked was "you can have the best camera in the world, but you still have to point it in the right direction".

This is why I can only afford an A74

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 43
Well, sell the DW and get a Sonor SQ2 šŸ˜†

This is why I can only afford an A74

Because they don't come in red? Pretty clear that's your favourite colour...

That port in the drum could be used to mount a camera, but can you imagine how hard the IBIS would be working if you were playing the drum?

Great comments, you can be in a famous band and not rich. I wish I had more available funds to spend on bodies and lenses. Only a handful of musicians are making money nowadays. I posted the pic to show the original poster is not alone with peopleā€™s misconceptions! Ha

New album out!

Attachments

• 9C07BEC4-A767-4E66-AC85-4D00F8BFEFA5IMG_1490.jpeg
    9C07BEC4-A767-4E66-AC85-4D00F8BFEFA5IMG_1490.jpeg
    607.4 KB · Views: 36
  • C65D20C0-6887-44AF-9897-5EF037DDF625118-1852_IMG.jpeg
    C65D20C0-6887-44AF-9897-5EF037DDF625118-1852_IMG.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

šŸ˜
Please let me know where I can get an A1 for a thousand? :)

Back