I would like members to post up one tip that helped you personally with the photography learning curve.

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So as above have you got a tip that helped you with the learning curve,
So mine is simple turn the mode to manual and learn to shoot in that mode, I learned more after some old timer said to me turn that auto program rubbish off and learn to shoot in manual

Hi, The one tip that has helped me since I took up bird photography rather than climbing up and down hills for landscapes is when trying to photograph BOP and other skittish birds from a hide take your time moving the camera, don't rush it, be patient and you will get the shot rush it and regret it!!!
Russ.

Always look behind you.

When you're out on a walk with your camera and you spot something worthy of a shot, turn around after you walk past and look at it again. Almost without fail you'll see another shot, and it may be better than the first one!

Always look behind you.

When you're out on a walk with your camera and you spot something worthy of a shot, turn around after you walk past and look at it again. Almost without fail you'll see another shot, and it may be better than the first one!
wise words indeed

Maybe this is basic to some of you, but it was useful advice for me regarding events or portraits: Set your white balance! Even if its wrong, just stick to one white balance setting and don't use Auto WB (and shoot in RAW, but you knew that already!).

I used to shoot everything in Auto WB and when editing a couple dozen pictures, the white balance varied from shot to shot so the pictures didn't even feel like they belonged to the same album. Keeping the same white balance made it easier to copy & paste edits from one image to all images in the series in Capture One.

Also, if you're shooting video, use a gray card so you can set a custom white balance. Auto WB can make your footage look amateur-ish.

Maybe this is basic to some of you, but it was useful advice for me regarding events or portraits: Set your white balance! Even if its wrong, just stick to one white balance setting and don't use Auto WB (and shoot in RAW, but you knew that already!).

I used to shoot everything in Auto WB and when editing a couple dozen pictures, the white balance varied from shot to shot so the pictures didn't even feel like they belonged to the same album. Keeping the same white balance made it easier to copy & paste edits from one image to all images in the series in Capture One.

Also, if you're shooting video, use a gray card so you can set a custom white balance. Auto WB can make your footage look amateur-ish.
No some of us may know that but I will bet its good info for some on here and that is what this thread is about thanks for reply

A beginner to wildlife photography (mainly BIF), it’s been helpful spending time reviewing lousy images, sometimes a pattern will emerge that leads to a correction in set-up or technique.

Last edited:
3 tips:
Be there, be ready, and don't show your bad shots! (Unless you want constructive critique)

To quote Overgaard, "Always wear a camera." And take the picture. Fretting about it does not help. You can always delete later the ones you do not like but you will never be able to conjure up the ones you did not take.

Don't just stick to what so called influencers recommend as settings for subjects. Learn your camera and develop your own techniques and opinions. Your shots will be better for it.

I would say I have and still try to slow down and look more closely at what a good composition would be as it’s tougher for me too see than my wife who see good shots very quickly lol

I would say I have and still try to slow down and look more closely at what a good composition would be as it’s tougher for me too see than my wife who see good shots very quickly lol
well, some people have a good eye for seeing a shot, thanks for posting👍

Two tips one is vary basic bring a camera with you even when you do not plan on shooting, the more you shoot the better one gets at see the light.
Tip number two comes from my amazingly inspirational high school photo teacher, back in the days of film, we all got the assignment to go home and take a full roll of images, that would be 36 for those who have only shot digitally, of our bathroom, no repeat images. One could do this exercise anywhere the point is to look, images are all around us. Similar story from a very famous photographer who sadly recently passed, was one day when he was dropping off the film from a job at the client. His assistant sitting in the car expressed how bored he got sitting waiting in the car, the photographer said ok and had the assistant drop off the job instead. Well while the assistant was gone the photographer shot two rolls of film of everything around where they had parked to show one can find art everywhere if you bother to look.

I have two tips to offer: #1 is to buy a decent book about your camera, as the owner's manual is usually rarely up to scratch, #2 is to look at photographs and when you have done look at some more. I have been taking photographs and enjoying my cameras for years, but it is only in the last few years have I developed my eye. I credit this to learning how to critique the shots of others and thereby foster the ability to make the right things appear on my own viewfinder.

you've missed the obvious one! Join the Alphashooters forum and learn from the wise words and great photos that are posted there. It has certainly helped me.

Find someone to follow who motivates you to get out and shoot. I follow quite a few wildlife photographers but one of my favourites is Andy Rouse, not only because he's a local British photographer but he also has a great sense of humour and shares a lot of advice over on his website and YouTube Channel. Just a pity he shoots with the OM System ;)

you've missed the obvious one! Join the Alphashooters forum and learn from the wise words and great photos that are posted there. It has certainly helped me.
I like this one very much David! :)

Learning how to use the wheel on the back of the camera to quickly move the focus point.

My “Tip” is how I have collected too many Tips to count. Like Timothy, our Forum Boss recommended, I spent some time looking for the right guy to follow. There are an incredible number of chaps on YouTube and I did spend some time with several people that had a lot to offer, and I did learn, which is easy when you know so little. 😉

One day I went back to a fellow that I had looked at previously but passed up. That Gentleman was (is) Mark Galer. His experience, accomplishments and knowledge is nothing short of amazing. He’s been a Pro Photographer for well over 40 years. He has written many Books, Articles and Papers. He has been an Educator and Program Director for an Australian University. Here is the good part. He has been a Sony Digital Imaging Ambassador for over 10 years and before that he was an Adobe Ambassador for 14 years. Besides his general knowledge, he has been deeply involved with the Sony Alpha system. His ability to combine his Sony knowledge with his Adobe background is a huge bonus. A few years back he officially began his Sony Alpha support service on Patreon. Besides his presence on the Web @ www.markgaler.com, he works on the Patreon service and offers a paid support service for Sony Alpha shooters, which he and Patreon charge $10.00 a month. There is no contract and goes month to month so you can quit at any time. I don’t really care for subscription services but when I considered the investment I have in hardware (Look at my Signature, and don’t tell my Wife!), paying $10.00 a month to learn how to use it is a small price to pay. If it were only for his publications such as his camera eBooks and countless other downloads, it is easily worth $10.00 per month. His monthly Q & A forum closes the deal. When I have issues with a camera, software, or peripherals or even my own ability, I write a post to his Forum and have an answer within 24 hours, usually much sooner.

This “Tip” has gone on too long but there is a lot to say about Mark Galer. I have told friends who are interested in a camera, having Mark Galer available is reason enough to buy a Sony, but of course there are other reasons as well. Check him out. He’s easy to find and, take a look at his pages on Flickr.com to see his photography work.

Especially with EVF cameras, I like to use spot metering. If I shift the scene slightly I can look for an exposure that brings out what I wish to be made distinctive, rather than living with an average or canned 'intelligent' metering choice. This by itself has spoiled OVF shooting for me now..

It's kind of hard to pick one after so many years...
I remind of being capturing my very first Aurora in Iceland, after a desperate chasing for 10 days all around the island, and finally we got it. I was using a Canon 5D mkII at the time, 2011, with a Nikkor 14-24 f:2,8 adapted with a ring that at that time I guess was the very first adapter between those brands.
After a couple of shots, I thought I was sure I got the right one, and I simply fell down on the iced ground to contemplate the sky, the stars and the lights, while my buddy couldn't stop shooting.
I then realized that I had to enjoy the moment, the place, the light and the sensations like the breeze, the cold. It gave me some of the best feelings I ever had in my life.
But back to topic, it also made me to realize that those memories would help me when processing the shot, and more important, those memories helped me in the future to identify when a place and a moment is good to be captured.
So since then, I never wrap up my gear right after the shooting and leave the scene, but I remain in the place for some moments, just to enjoy.

Oh my......I have to limit it to one tip?? Best one for wildlife, has been to learn where your settings are blind. Know the camera. Once you are on a high action sighting, you simply do not have time to look through the menu for anything. With your eye up to the camera, know how to change everything you might want to change, without taking your eye away. Shutter speed, aperature, white balance, shooting mode, silent shutter, animal/human, focus area, etc. Also......learn to keep both eyes open. Peripheral vision is a huge bonus in maybe catching that lion coming up the side toward the impala you are photographing. And third. (*I know, it's only supposed to be one), be in the moment. Don't be so wrapped up in the photo, that you forget to appreciate where you are. Life is awesome.

I think my tip was to pretend we were still using film and only had 24 shots….because this I what taught me and thousands of older guys.
And, don’t get tied up in “the gear solves all mentality”

The best "tip" I ever received was in my high school photography class. From day one, the only mode on our cameras was "M" and my teacher didn't care how long it took us to learn it!

The best tip I got when I started was "practice practice practice".
Wildlife tip, find somewhere to sit still and watch, 10-15mins and things will be coming in around you.

Learn from 'togs whose work you admire.
That involves identifying what it is about it that engages you and why, and that's the start of developing your own eye and style.
There's so much attention paid to technique, and I say that a sharp well-exposed pic that doesn't engage you is as bad as a soft underexposed one.

Maybe this will be useful for low-light and a ~stationary subject.
start with high shutter speed to get an image on the card before the subject leaves, and then keep lowering the shutter speed and take more shots. at some point camera movement will spoil the image but hopefully there will be one, sharp and acceptable ISO.
That was if you use Auto ISO, but if you used manual ISO, you can follow the same process by reducing the ISO instead of the SS for each shot.

Back