Unframed Dave

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
I've recently acquired the a1 and bear with me here, I'm shooting jpg with it. Don't berate me for not shooting raw with such an awesome machine, but it's my way and I'm comparing it directly with the results I was getting from the a6600.

My query, despite having Imaging edge set to original size, what's coming through looks like I left the lens off. I suspect that the size is still being limited to 2M.

If you look at the pics below, the first is the IE import and the second is a phone snap from the back screen. The phone image is vastly superior, but nowhere near what I'm seeing on the back of the camera.
DSC03862_1.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 1600
20230303_181734.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 125

Dave, all I can see is a superficially sharpened image from the phone. It's so over sharpened it looks surreal. The processor in your phone reprocessed what your camera produced. It also looks oversaturated.

Have you gone into your jpeg settings and adjusted sharpening/contrast/saturation etc. to taste? It won't make any difference on RAW, but it can get a jpeg closer to your desired finished product.

Just my opinion, but the finished photo lies somewhere between the top and bottom images.

Out of curiosity, I took a snap of your screen snap with my phone. It's even more sharpened and saturated than yours. Almost looks cartoonish.

I agree with the oversaturation, but comparing the phone shot with the monitor on the back of the camera, they look very similar in terms of sharpness.

The imported image looks positively soft by comparison.

This gibberish suggests that even though I've set the file to "original", it's being limited.

If anyone can translate it for me, it may help.
Screenshot_20230303_185730.jpg

I think that entire bottom paragraph is specific to the VGA option only, based on the dividing lines between options.

Is it worth the effort to try a different program just to compare?

Well, if you just want to play with jpegs, there's Paint.NET. It was supposed to be an upgrade to MS Paint, but when MS abandoned it the developer turned it into an open-sourced program. Pretty decent for free, updated regularly and supported. I can't get to the link from work, they have it blocked. Do a search for

Paint.NET

I still use it once in a while if I want to mess with a jpeg. Because it was based on MS Paint it looks familiar and has a very shallow learning curve.

Have you checked to see if the image sent to the phone is the same size as the image saved to the card? I don't believe they are even if the "original" size is selected, so it would be best to compare the images on the computer.
If you match up the FF equivalent values between the A1 and A6600 and use the same lens the A1 will look a little better once you get into the pixel peeping. If you not matching the FF equivalents than the A6600 might look a little better because it will be a 24mpx image vs ~22mpx. Of course that is all for a still image but action the A1 will look better regardless.
Really though both will look great if the lens is quality and you are not pixel peeping. Like this was an A6000 with a G lens:
Great White Heron - Home - 06152018 - 02.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 160

I'm home now and have uploaded the image direct from the SD card to my laptop:
DSC03870.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 1600

Ive given up on imaging edge for now. I use the "tried and true" 25 year old method of whipping out the card and plugging git into the computer. Do this, and test to see what file size you're producing. You can select the preferred jpeg image size in camera settings.

G

Have just noticed that this site compresses the image, so looking at it above isn't a true representation.
Uploaded images always look worse here. That's why I link to a Flickr account, they seem to stand up better when linked to another hosting site. Even if compressed the viewer can click through to the original on Flickr if they want. Of course for the majority of viewers, a 3" cellphone screen isn't going to reveal much anyway.

I eventually found the answer:

• When selecting and sending images from the camera to a smartphone, you can change the size of the images by going to the MENU on the camera and selecting [Smartphone Connection] → [Select on Cam & Send] → [Size of Sending Image].

Back