Sony A9 Is there any fix for banding on the Sony a9 when shooting with electronic shutter?

Joshdunn

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Josh
I bought an a9 about a year ago, I thought I was pretty slick saving $1500 by buying the original a9 instead of the a9ii, but now I'm regretting it ...

I shot some indoor basketball yesterday, and experienced pretty significant banding :(

I've scoured the internet, but it doesn't look that there is really any solution out there, anyone have any insight or fixes?

EFCS and if still an issue then the mechanical shutter is about it. I wish the A9 had flicker control with the mechanical shutter, but Sony did not provide it on the A9.

EFCS and if still an issue then the mechanical shutter is about it. I wish the A9 had flicker control with the mechanical shutter, but Sony did not provide it on the A9.
I wish there were flicker control too (I also wish you could turn off EFCS when in silent mose, but that only works when using the mechanical shutter)

I imagine the banding is due to the lighting - increasingly common to find sports lighting that flickers at a rate which affects cameras. That is difficult to deal with in electronic shutter. I think the normal solution would be to switch to full mechanical.

don’t understand what you mean about turning off EFCS in silent mode. After all, silent mode means electronic shutter which means electronic first and second curtains - what would you expect “turn off EFCS“ to do? Maybe use a mechanical first curtain and electronic second?

Back