Issue with vello battery grip

TheSaltyRobot

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Johnny Five
Anyone have issues with the Vello BG-S3-2 battery grip when attached to a a7rii? I’m thinking it’s the contact points since after a bumpy car ride it will tell me that the battery’s are not compatible due to manufacture. They are both Sony brand batteries and the grip has worked no problem before, at most I would remove the batteries and reinstall them which would solve the problem. But after my last trip, it just won’t work with the grip. I’m going to try cleaning the contact points in the grip since the single battery works fine in the camera. My last question would be, what other grips work with the a7r2 as this was the only one I found?

@TheSaltyRobot Sony does make their own battery grip: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1105492-REG/sony_vgc2em_vertical_battery_grip_for.html
However, in the reviews someone states that even the Sony grip sometimes says batteries not compatible. So maybe it's just an issue with that camera? Considering the Sony grip is over four times the price of the Vello grip you have, I am not sure it is worth it. (Though for my Sony A7iv I did buy the Sony grip because I did not want to risk any issues).

Back