Birds It's too damn close!

Astacus

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Robert Beynon
Anyone else have this problem - walking along a narrow path... interesting bird appears.. but it is inside the minimum focusing distance of the 600 f4. Having to walk away from a bird for a picture is anathaema! Plus, it nearly always buggers off before you can get far enough away. The minimum focusing distance of the 600 f4 is 4.5m.

I was thinking of doing some tests, where I put 'typical' small bird shapes onto a stick and then work out the image size at minimum distance for the 600 and 600+1.4. I suspect that what this will show is that notwithstanding the large pixel count across the sensor, the actually sensor area occupied by the bird image is small.

So, Sony, if you want to innovate, I might emphasise reduction of the minimum focusing distance - maybe to the 200-600 G - at 2.5 m? I assuming this is an optical nightmare, because otherwise, why not. Is there some deep optics reason why this is a non-starter?

Fortunately, the ability to crop and recover on the A1 is pretty good.

I can say I have not had this 1/2 world problem. I am pretty sure minimum focal distance is calculated from the diameter of the lens, the focal length, length of the lens and magnification.
All the 600 F4 lens have min focal distance between 4.2 & 4.5m

Anyone else have this problem - walking along a narrow path... interesting bird appears.. but it is inside the minimum focusing distance of the 600 f4. Having to walk away from a bird for a picture is anathaema! Plus, it nearly always buggers off before you can get far enough away. The minimum focusing distance of the 600 f4 is 4.5m.

I was thinking of doing some tests, where I put 'typical' small bird shapes onto a stick and then work out the image size at minimum distance for the 600 and 600+1.4. I suspect that what this will show is that notwithstanding the large pixel count across the sensor, the actually sensor area occupied by the bird image is small.

So, Sony, if you want to innovate, I might emphasise reduction of the minimum focusing distance - maybe to the 200-600 G - at 2.5 m? I assuming this is an optical nightmare, because otherwise, why not. Is there some deep optics reason why this is a non-starter?

Fortunately, the ability to crop and recover on the A1 is pretty good.
A good reason to roll with 2 cameras in circumstances/locations wherein this could arise. One camera with a short to medium lens and the other with the 200-600mm. this also covers for camera failure in the field as well as these unexpected shot opportunities.

Back