Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Nikon Last of the Hummingbirds?

THXGEEK

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
11
Following
0
Joined
Feb 17, 2025
Posts
888
Likes Received
1,341
Trophy Points
193
Name
Craig
City/State
Virginia
... as they migrate south out of the Mid-Atlantic?


HB9.jpg
  • NIKON Z 8
  • NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 18000


HB7.jpg
  • NIKON Z 8
  • NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 16000


HB8.jpg
  • NIKON Z 8
  • NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S
  • 230.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 11400
 

* Please Consider Becoming a Site Supporter To Remove These Ads *

Craig,
Can I ask a dumb question? How long does it take you to get these pictures? Do you have to spend hours, or just a few minutes?
Krashman
 
Craig,
Can I ask a dumb question? How long does it take you to get these pictures? Do you have to spend hours, or just a few minutes?
Krashman

Good morning, Kashman!

Not a dumb question at all! I don't have a simple answer, being that I make it a point to unwind on my deck for an hour or two in the late afternoon. I always have a camera and spend the time critter-watching, reading my email on the iPad and just taking in all the outdoor sights & sounds. Good single malt is required. Napping is optional.

Having said that, many of my keeper images are taken over just a few minutes time - either because I prepared for it or I just happened to be ready when the critters put on a show. Case in point, many of my best pics were due to preparation:

Remote.jpg


The hummingbirds were very active and I was sitting about 20 feet away with a remote app (this happened to be my Canon R5II). Once they appeared, I hit the remote trigger and captured many hundreds (thousands?) of pics. Setup took a good while (test shots, exposure settings, waiting for good light, waiting for the birds, ect) but the effort was well worth it....


HB1.jpg
  • NIKON Z 8
  • NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2500


HB2.jpg
  • NIKON Z 8
  • NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2200


HB3.jpg
  • NIKON Z 8
  • NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2200




RTHB3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM Z
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 5000


RTHB4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM
  • 371.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 6400


RTHB5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM
  • 371.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 6400



Next up, I'll try a remote setup near my primary feeder. That should be fun!

Cheers!
 
Good morning, Kashman!

Not a dumb question at all! I don't have a simple answer, being that I make it a point to unwind on my deck for an hour or two in the late afternoon. I always have a camera and spend the time critter-watching, reading my email on the iPad and just taking in all the outdoor sights & sounds. Good single malt is required. Napping is optional.

Having said that, many of my keeper images are taken over just a few minutes time - either because I prepared for it or I just happened to be ready when the critters put on a show. Case in point, many of my best pics were due to preparation:

View attachment 87729

The hummingbirds were very active and I was sitting about 20 feet away with a remote app (this happened to be my Canon R5II). Once they appeared, I hit the remote trigger and captured many hundreds (thousands?) of pics. Setup took a good while (test shots, exposure settings, waiting for good light, waiting for the birds, ect) but the effort was well worth it....


View attachment 87737

View attachment 87738

View attachment 87739



View attachment 87730

View attachment 87731

View attachment 87732


Next up, I'll try a remote setup near my primary feeder. That should be fun!

Cheers!
Craig,
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing that. A good single malt is always a welcome choice, by the way...
We don't get that many hummingbirds stopping by up here in Spokane. I have a couple that stop by every year on their migration to the north. You do the birds justice with your photos...
 
Back
Top