Bryan Carroll

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Apparently I need to add firmware for my tamron lens. I've never done firmware updates for lenses, just for Sony updates. Is it easy to do and is straight forward, or are there things I should know?

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Apparently I need to add firmware for my tamron lens. I've never done firmware updates for lenses, just for Sony updates. Is it easy to do and is straight forward, or are there things I should know?
Which lens? But yes it's basically the same as the Sony lens update. Just download the firmware, connect your camera via USB cable, make sure it's in mass storage mode then run the update. Full steps here for the 28-75: https://www.tamron-usa.com/support/a036_firmware_manual.html

Bryan Carroll

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
I have the Tamron 70-180mm, but it is saying the firmware update doesn't work with the a6500. So I wonder if it is only available for full frame cameras?

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Figured it out, I didn't realize I had to have the lens attached to the camera body during the update. Now it worked!
Glad you've got it sorted! What do you think of the 70-180? I have it but haven't had chance to use it a great deal yet.

Bryan Carroll

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Glad you've got it sorted! What do you think of the 70-180? I have it but haven't had chance to use it a great deal yet.
So far I really like it! It's my only lens with a longer focal length, and with the crop sensor then it gets even closer, so it has been really nice to capture some wildlife with it. It is also pretty sharp, especially since it is less than half the cost of the GM lens it was a great buy.

Reactions: Timothy Mayo

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.