Lens for Dog Sledding

Janice

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
I'm going to a dog sledding event. At times I will be actually IN the sled as the dogs run. Other times, I'll be on a snowmobile (passenger) alongside the sleds.

Am in a struggle. I will be using an a6600 body, but do I go with the 3.5-6.3/18-200, the 4.5-6.3 70-350, or the 16-50 3.5-(I forgot) lens while on the trail?

I was leaning towards the 18-200 but since I've never done anything like this before, thought I'd seek your experienced opinions on the topic.

Any additional tips for this incredible opportunity are also welcome.

Hi Janice, are you going to be taking photos or video?
I think you're right about the 18-200, since it sounds like you don't want to be swapping lenses while on the go, and need something versatile. If you had it, I would even have suggested the 18-135 kit lens.

The reason why I ask if you want to do video as well is because the more you zoom, the more your footage will get shakey (even with IBIS) assuming that you would be recording from a moving sled or snowmobile. If this is the case, just remember to go wide where possible and probably film in a higher frame rate if you are going to slow it down in post production (that also helps with smoothing out the footage).

Hi Janice, are you going to be taking photos or video?
I think you're right about the 18-200, since it sounds like you don't want to be swapping lenses while on the go, and need something versatile. If you had it, I would even have suggested the 18-135 kit lens.

The reason why I ask if you want to do video as well is because the more you zoom, the more your footage will get shakey (even with IBIS) assuming that you would be recording from a moving sled or snowmobile. If this is the case, just remember to go wide where possible and probably film in a higher frame rate if you are going to slow it down in post production (that also helps with smoothing out the footage).
I don't have the 18-135 kit lens. The kit lens I use was from when I used the Nex-6. It's a 16-50mm. Great tip on the video becoming shakey. I had not even considered that!

On a follow-up question..... should I invest in a polarizing filter for the 80-200 since we'll be on bright snow trails the majority of the time?

Since I'll be shooting outdoors with snow-covered grounds and trees, would you recommend investing in a polarizing filter?

If yes, any recommended brands to look at or suggestions to avoid?

Sadly, I can't comment on the polarizing filter for snow as I live in Florida.

However, I do have a variable Neutral Density (ND) filter which I use sometimes when I want to take video with a wide open aperture in very bright conditions at midday or at the beach. I cheaped-out a bit and got one from K&F Concepts, but the company that many youtubers push is PolarPro

ND filters are basically sunglasses for your camera lens. Variable ND filters let you lighten or darken the tint by twisting the ring. You may want to check with someone who shoots in snow to see what the specific needs are for that environment.

The only piece of advice I would give you is: buy the filter for the largest diameter lens you have and then buy step-up rings (cheap) to adapt it to your other lenses. So if you have a 72mm lens and a 67mm lens, buy the filter for the 72mm and buy a 67-72mm step-up ring so you can use the same filter on either lens.

Sadly, I can't comment on the polarizing filter for snow as I live in Florida.

However, I do have a variable Neutral Density (ND) filter which I use sometimes when I want to take video with a wide open aperture in very bright conditions at midday or at the beach. I cheaped-out a bit and got one from K&F Concepts, but the company that many youtubers push is PolarPro

ND filters are basically sunglasses for your camera lens. Variable ND filters let you lighten or darken the tint by twisting the ring. You may want to check with someone who shoots in snow to see what the specific needs are for that environment.

The only piece of advice I would give you is: buy the filter for the largest diameter lens you have and then buy step-up rings (cheap) to adapt it to your other lenses. So if you have a 72mm lens and a 67mm lens, buy the filter for the 72mm and buy a 67-72mm step-up ring so you can use the same filter on either lens.
Great advice! THANKS! Snow, sand.... same diff. :) Both reflect light and the bright sun bouncing off water would create similar issues. Appreciate the link and thoughts!

Hey Janice, watch this explanation and comparison of filters! Its for a drone, but the explanation and examples are relevant to you. He shows ocean glare which may be similar to snow glare.

Hey Janice, watch this explanation and comparison of filters! Its for a drone, but the explanation and examples are relevant to you. He shows ocean glare which may be similar to snow glare.
This was very helpful. Thanks for pointing me to this video clip. I liked how he showed the different effects with the filters. I think I'm ready to take on the snow!

Back