Lunar occultation of Jupiter

Astrnmrtom

Followers
Following
Name
Thomas M
Captured Jupiter just after it emerged from behind the Moon during last week's occultation. A distant hill and low clouds prevented me from capturing a before photo as the event started just after Moonrise for this part of the US. The emergence photo was taken in bright twilight just before sunrise.

1st image is pretty much as taken, and the second had some tweeks with levels to darken the bright sky. Both were taken with my a6000 shooting through my 96mm diameter refractor with a 2X barlow lens making it f/14. Although the exposures were pretty short, the scope was on a tracking mount. Image is soft mostly from shooting almost horizontally through lots of atmosphere. Had a nice dust mote on the sensor. :^(

Tom

DSC08857.JPG
  • ILCE-6000
  • ----
  • 1/15 sec
  • ISO 160
DSC08857.JPG
2023May17JupiterOccultation.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • 1/15 sec
  • ISO 160
2023May17JupiterOccultation.jpg

I LOVE that you do all of this with an a6000, but recently I keep thinking "how amazing would Tom's shots be if he had something like an A7RV?"

Hahaha. Funny you should say that....

I was just telling my wife yesterday how later models have things like improved passive sensor cooling etc, and her immediate reply was: "You aren't getting a new camera - you've only had this one for a short time." Of course I made no mention of needing new lenses too. :^)

Truth be told, if I was to look at a new camera for night sky stuff, I'd continue to use the 6000 for wide field stuff and get a dedicated, cooled astro camera for the scope. But then I wouldn't be able to share those photos on this site. ;^)

I was just telling my wife yesterday how later models have things like improved passive sensor cooling etc, and her immediate reply was: "You aren't getting a new camera - you've only had this one for a short time." Of course I made no mention of needing new lenses too. :^)

Truth be told, if I was to look at a new camera for night sky stuff, I'd continue to use the 6000 for wide field stuff and get a dedicated, cooled astro camera for the scope. But then I wouldn't be able to share those photos on this site. ;^)
I hear you Tom! My wife grumbles about my expensive hobbies, but she has no idea how expensive photography COULD be if I was always upgrading full frame gear.

It’s easier to beg for forgiveness than to obtain consent.

Back