Macro Lighting - Flash vs LED?

Joe14

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Joe
Evening all,

I have recently added the Sony 90mm Macro lens to my kit (Sony A7iv) and am looking at the best lighting kit to add. Where possible I enjoy the look that natural light provides, however I appreciate sometime a little extra light helps with like shadow filling ect..

My question is, should I look at a flash (been looking at the Sony hvl-f28 or hvl-f46 - not sure if any of these are good to be looking at*) or some kind of LED panel?

* just for clarity, I want to stick with Sony if flash is the best route)

Many Thanks, Joe :)

I use a Flash, as I never found LED panels to give the right sort of light or be able to get consistent exposure. I am using a small Godox TT350s and now that I have sussed settings I'm finding it perfect for my moth photography.

I use a Flash, as I never found LED panels to give the right sort of light or be able to get consistent exposure. I am using a small Godox TT350s and now that I have sussed settings I'm finding it perfect for my moth photography.
I'm surprised at this. Makes your results even more impressive.

This YouTuber uses a small MEIKE MK-320S Mini TTL Speedlite Automatic Flash. Seems to work great for him. for his macro shots.

Thanks Tim. Is that because you'd think it was short of power?
No. I use one too, and while it's not the most powerful flash, it's sufficient for most applications. My comment was more toward how even the lighting is across the frame.

Thank you for this, seems like a flash would be a good place to start then :)

Based on the flash you have mentioned there, I take it a smaller GN would be sufficient for Macro then? Something like the 28? Or would going to 46gn be better?

@Brownie. Right, yes, well my thinking was that a lot of Macro guys use powerful flashes and tubes to direct the flash close to the subject, but those flashes are nearly always diffused. I went for a smaller unit to hopefully suspend the need for diffusion, which seems to have worked.

@ Joe14, That kind of answers you too. It depends on your intended subject, but I have found the lower power unit to be perfect. It was also way way cheaper than the Sony flashes, which I feel are very overpriced.

@Brownie. Right, yes, well my thinking was that a lot of Macro guys use powerful flashes and tubes to direct the flash close to the subject, but those flashes are nearly always diffused. I went for a smaller unit to hopefully suspend the need for diffusion, which seems to have worked.

@ Joe14, That kind of answers you too. It depends on your intended subject, but I have found the lower power unit to be perfect. It was also way way cheaper than the Sony flashes, which I feel are very overpriced.
Thank you, really helpful indeed!

I use a Godox 685iis , I’ve never used the Sony version but I honestly can’t believe they would do a better job than the Godox which is 1/3rd of the price.. I also use a Radiant Diffuser which is for me an indispensable piece of equipment..

Back