Sony A9 III Minimum ISO 320

TimMunsey

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Tim Munsey
Hi on my A9111 I have a curious problem in that I'm unable to set my minimum auto ISO value to 250, it starts from 320.
Just wondered if anyone knows of a solution.

I know nothing about the A9III, but in the back of my mind (not a good place to be) I thought I read something that said this is by design.

Is there a menu item that allows one to restrict the setable ISO range? I'd expect so because a7iv has.

What mode are you in? If you are shooting movies with S-Cinetone then the base ISO is 320, but for stills it should be 250.

Solution
Mine has ISO range set to 250-25600, and I typically have auto ISO set to one of the minimum shutter speed settings (usually 1/2000 or 1/1000). I have plenty of shots where it has chosen ISO 250 (given enough light).

If I put it on auto ISO Standard, and use a 20mm lens (so it’s aiming for 1/20 or faster), I get ISO 250.

so I think you do need to look for a solution, yes.

What mode are you in? If you are shooting movies with S-Cinetone then the base ISO is 320, but for stills it should be 250.
Thank you this is the answer, problem now solved. So next thing is to find what mode to shoot in.

Thank you this is the answer, problem now solved. So next thing is to find what mode to shoot in.
That's a much bigger question :unsure: ;) And it very much depends on what you want to achieve. I'm not going to tell you what to do, because you are likely to have different goals and different starting points.

Modern Sonys encourage you to make up your own modes :) I have never used a camera as customisable as a current model Sony. I only shoot one or twice a week as an amateur, so I haven't invested a huge amount of time in exploration all of the customisation (I should do more). A good starting point is one or more of the custom set up guides (Mark Galer is good, but I don't know if he has done one for the A9 III yet).

I have only set up two custom modes on the A9 III so far, but one is my normal birds / animals-in-motion setting, based on A mode, with auto-ISO minimum shutter speed 1/2000, bird/animal subject, that sort of thing. The other is for shooting with studio strobes - very different settings (BTW: the A9 III is very good in the studio)

Back