Sony A7R V Mis Registering one of 9 exposure HDR images Sony A7r5

Dan Felstead

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dan
Iam a Real Estate Photographer. I consistently shoot HDR - 9 exposure 1 full stop per image. I am having issues with the A7r5 shipping one of of the images slightly left or right which throws of the entire processed image. It is sporadic. Not always the same number of the 9 images. I shoot on a tripod with al steady shot turned off. Using Aperture priority at 5.6. I use Sony cf express type a cards. Shooting at large raw...about 60 megs per image. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Welcome to the forum Dan.
While I don't have that camera, a few basic troubleshooting questions:
Does this happen in manual mode too?
What lens are you using and does this happen regardless of lens?

Iam a Real Estate Photographer. I consistently shoot HDR - 9 exposure 1 full stop per image. I am having issues with the A7r5 shipping one of of the images slightly left or right which throws of the entire processed image. It is sporadic. Not always the same number of the 9 images. I shoot on a tripod with al steady shot turned off. Using Aperture priority at 5.6. I use Sony cf express type a cards. Shooting at large raw...about 60 megs per image. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan
Which program are you using to stack? Maybe try one of the freebies out there on the internet to see if the situation changes.

Welcome to the forum Dan.
While I don't have that camera, a few basic troubleshooting questions:
Does this happen in manual mode too?
What lens are you using and does this happen regardless of lens?
Thanks for the reply....I use a Sony 16-35 master II lens. I have not tried with other lenses on this camera. I use bracket 9 images for HDR so it isn't in manual mode.

Adobe (not free) does align the layers as part of the stacking process, so you wouldn't notice one layer slightly off center. Just saying.

I would have thought that any half decent HDR software should align the layers during processing. I’m also staggered that you need as many as nine RAW files for this. I would have thought that 5 would be more than enough. The more files you are trying to align, the more trouble you can have.

I would have thought that any half decent HDR software should align the layers during processing. I’m also staggered that you need as many as nine RAW files for this. I would have thought that 5 would be more than enough. The more files you are trying to align, the more trouble you can have.
I'm going to hazard a guess: Some of this has to do with focus stacking more than HDR. Real Estate photography demands the entire room be in focus. Could be wrong. I agree though, the fewer the files the easier. Use as deep a DOF as possible and as few files.

Hi Dan,

Can you up load you images for a failed HDR so we can look at them?

Your software, from the review I read on it is capable of lining up the shots if they were hand held. If you (or the camera) are changing the focus point during the sequence of shots you may be having an issue with focus breathing.

Adobe (not free) does align the layers as part of the stacking process, so you wouldn't notice one layer slightly off center. Just saying.
Fowlers thanks of the reply. I am not sure is is just an alignment issue. I think the processor isn't fast enough to keep up with settings. My HDR software does automatically alighn files. I am experimenting as we speak with 50 iso as a "neutral Density Filter" of sorts to see if that slows the camera down to where the processor can keep up. I will report back to let you know.

Hi Dan,

Can you up load you images for a failed HDR so we can look at them?

Your software, from the review I read on it is capable of lining up the shots if they were hand held. If you (or the camera) are changing the focus point during the sequence of shots you may be having an issue with focus breathing.
Good idea....I will get back to you. Thanks for the help.

Angus and Fowlers.... I have uploaded an image. Bad picture into the sun but I wanted to show what I am talking about. You will need to copy the photo and view it in photoshop or some thing that will let you pixel peep. When you do...you will see the about 3/4 of the image is alighned. as you move to left of the image to the old water pump far left you will see it begins to mis align at that point??? Some times this happens on the bottom of the picture and at the top half it is aligned. Below are my settings for the image:

A7r5 F11 ISO 50. HDR with aperture mode so the aperture does not change...just the shutter speed for each of the 9 images. I use Sony cf express type A cards...the taste I can buy. That you so much for an y help. I am about ready to send the camera back to Sony.

Attachments

• test-1.jpg
    test-1.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 22
Unfortunately, our forum resizes images when you upload, so we don't have the full resolution to pixel peep. I can see it is a bit fuzzy by the waterpump and two trees on the left edge of the photo, but maybe difficult to determine anything without comparing to a single exposure.

Angus might be on to something with regards to focus breathing. Are you in manual focus or auto focus?

If that's not the issue, maybe the lens is decentered or has some other defect? Do you have any other lenses you could try to repeat this experiment with?

Unfortunately, our forum resizes images when you upload, so we don't have the full resolution to pixel peep. I can see it is a bit fuzzy by the waterpump and two trees on the left edge of the photo, but maybe difficult to determine anything without comparing to a single exposure.

Angus might be on to something with regards to focus breathing. Are you in manual focus or auto focus?

If that's not the issue, maybe the lens is decentered or has some other defect? Do you have any other lenses you could try to repeat this experiment with?
Thanks for the reply Fowlers. I understand about the full resolution issue. I use back button focusing...I auto focus the shoot the 9 brackets automatically. Aperture does not change but shutter speed does. When shooting single shots....the images are crystal clear. Even the one shifted image of the nine is clear...just shifted.

Man, I'm stumped! Do you know anyone with Sony lenses you could borrow, or would you be open to rent a lens to differentiate whether its the lens or camera body causing the issue?

Hi Dan,

If possible can you load the nine source images that are resulting in a bad final HDR to dropbox or somewhere you can share with us by a link? It would help to see the originals and also allow us to process them in our own HDR software.

Back