Name
Sharon Lane
Country
United States
City/State
Texas
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am trying to narrow my list of new backpacks. Would like your opinions, experiences, etc... Thanks

Questions:
1. Front loading vs. rear loading - any other major advantage of one over the other besides security?
2. Inserts vs. the padded velcro "things"?
3. Do you carry a smaller backpack for daily use while traveling (leaving the "big" one in hotel)?

What are your "must have" features for a travel backpack?

TIA again!

Questions:
1. Front loading vs. rear loading - any other major advantage of one over the other besides security? With rear loading when you put the bag down to get out lenes or whatever you are not putting the part of the bag on the ground that will then be on your back. So if you are out and the ground is damp or a little muddy or whatever you are then not transferring that to you.
2. Inserts vs. the padded velcro "things"? I think inserts are useful if you transfer your equipment between multiple types of bags or want to use a bag that isn't specifically designed for cameras. I don't use inserts because the 200-600 really doesn't fit in many and the ones it does fit in cost a large percent of a dedicated bag which is basically what any bag would be with that lens in it.
3. Do you carry a smaller backpack for daily use while traveling (leaving the "big" one in hotel)? I have a sling bag that I use if I am only going to carry the small lenses with me otherwise it is the main bag.
What are your "must have" features for a travel backpack? Must be allowed on a plane, must be able to carry the 200-600, 100-400, 24-105, 2 bodies, small cleaning kit, rain cover, few batteries, duel battery charger, cables, cards and water bottle.

1. Rear loading advantages are security and not getting the side that goes against your back dirty when putting the bag down, but I find side access the most useful feature, because you then don’t have to put the bag down to access your cameras.

2. I have never used inserts, considered them a few times but found myself going back to the velcro dividers every time because they were just more versatile. Still looking though, because I still think inserts may be very nice to use.

3. Depends very much on whether I am traveling light or heavy. This is situation dependent. If traveling by road or only by large plane, I take a bigger camera bag and more gear than traveling on smaller planes like the Embraer Regional Jets or De Havilland Dash, which have small overhead luggage compartments, limiting the gear and bag size. When I travel with my bigger bag, I also take along a smaller day bag, but when traveling light, my main camera bag is also my daily use bag.

Must have features: The bag has to fit in the smallest overhead luggage compartment of the planes that I will be flying in. It has to be comfortable to carry. Prefer if it doesn’t have that obvious camera bag look.

Lastly, there is no ideal camera bag, there are only bags that are best for a specific use case.

Backpacks, I have the Lowepro Flipside 200 and 400 bags. 200 is for my lightweight landscape setup and the 400 basically fits my complete kit in there. Both bags are sensational.

Rear access is obviously marketed as security but I really just can't imagine someone trying to steal my camera out of my bag while I'm wearing it. I wouldn't be fussed which side was access so long as the bag meets my needs.

I've only had dividers, and seeming that all of my gear is unmarked and immaculate they clearly work very well. When I first got the 200 I was absolutely amazed by how secure all the gear sits in there, I never have any concerns for my gear when jumping down rocks etc whilst wearing these bags.

I also have a Vanguard Veo Flex 35m shoulder bag. Which the 200-600mm fits perfectly in the tripod compartment, so if I won't be walking too far and I want to use that lens this is the bag that I will take. Overall I probably use all three bags equally. I have three sets of filters and cleaning kits, so all I need to do is put the camera and lenses into a bag and get moving.

In all honesty, I think there are many bags which will give you what you need and put a smile on your face. Size is obviously the number one thing being the size that holds the amount of lenses you need. In regards to cleaning equipment, filters, chargers etc, I have no issues getting everything I want into any of these bags so that wouldn't be something I'd be concerned about if I were you. I wanted something that looks like a normal backpack too, not some big square weird looking thing, it's important to be able to climb up to a location, jump off things and squeeze through tight spaces with it on. Comfort is big also, I wear mine when walking 20km sweating my arse off in summer so it needs to not be an annoyance in that regard.

Hopefully this helps somewhat. 🌞

On the subject of sling bags, I recently found one of these in BI Camera in Japan. Being badged by coleman, it gives no clue as to it's contents, and it was very cheap at around 20GBP.

It holds two a6600 bodies with wide angle zooms fitted or one with the 70 - 200 GM with a 1.4tc.

This is a great discrete day carry bag for loads of scenarios which can be used as a second carry on with most airlines.

At this
Screenshot_20230224_063440_Chrome.jpg
price point it's a bit of a bargain in the camera equipment world, unfortunately I can't find then here in the UK. I have seen then for sale on US ebay at a ridiculous 150 USD, but that's not exactly a bargain and I'd be considering peak design at that price point.

Worth a look if you can find a cheap one.

I think it depends on what set up you use most, but also how you shoot. I love having top access to my bag so that I can lift the camera with the 200 600 out quickly and ready to shoot, BUT, I very rarely carry my backpack anyway, as I like having the lens and cam on my side, and if I'm taking the Macro it fits in a pocket.

Questions:
3. Do you carry a smaller backpack for daily use while traveling (leaving the "big" one in hotel)?
In response to this question, yes. When I traveled to Japan, I took way too much gear in my big backpack, and by day two my wife threw a small nylon sack at me and said just put your camera in that and leave the big backpack behind. She was right. I have since replaced said nylon sack with a 6L Peak Design Sling and sometimes I don't even bring the backpack anymore.

Back