Sony A7 + A7 II My pathetic rig

Reply to thread
T

Tachikaze

So I realized that I will never go out to the damn lake and shoot birds at sunrise with my 400mm or hit the mean streets of Boise with my sneaky 20mm for those meaningful candid shots — just not gonna happen.

Sold the long lens and the short lens and now I have the stupid kit 28-70 zoom and a plastic Sony 50 prime for when I need a bit more light indoors. I now have the most pathetic Sony full-frame rig imaginable. Not sure I should even be allowed to be a member here. :unsure:

The bloody iPhone wins again. I will pull out the A7II on special occasions, probably on a tripod using a timer so I can be in the stupid group shot too for a change.

Sad, right?

Sorry folks. The magic is gone, the dream is dead, and I’m just another bloke with a camera with a nearly dead battery in the dinkiest Domke canvas bag you’ve ever seen. I did buy a spare Sony battery though, so do I get pro points for that? 🥺

If you still have your camera, there's still a chance you will take some photos if inspiration hits. The phone camera wins more times that I care to admit, but sometimes all it does is whet my appetite to get my real camera out.

So I realized that I will never go out to the damn lake and shoot birds at sunrise with my 400mm or hit the mean streets of Boise with my sneaky 20mm for those meaningful candid shots — just not gonna happen.

Sold the long lens and the short lens and now I have the stupid kit 28-70 zoom and a plastic Sony 50 prime for when I need a bit more light indoors. I now have the most pathetic Sony full-frame rig imaginable. Not sure I should even be allowed to be a member here. :unsure:

The bloody iPhone wins again. I will pull out the A7II on special occasions, probably on a tripod using a timer so I can be in the stupid group shot too for a change.

Sad, right?

Sorry folks. The magic is gone, the dream is dead, and I’m just another bloke with a camera with a nearly dead battery in the dinkiest Domke canvas bag you’ve ever seen. I did buy a spare Sony battery though, so do I get pro points for that? 🥺
The 20mm G is a great lens. Enjoy it.

If you are sad about it... yes, it is sad.

If there's a lesson, I'd say that it is to buy gear for the photography that you do, not the photography you think you might do. Or ought to do. Maybe. One day.

If you are happy with the remaining kit, and use it, I don't think that is sad. If you are not going to use it, sell the camera and the remaining lenses too. Keep that bag for carrying your water bottle.

Whatever... it's not a guilt trip. It's just how things worked out for you.

I can recommend a headphones forum... :D

If you do not want to use a camera, that is fine. A cellphone is certainly capable for most needs of social media, but you do live in Idaho and that "sneaky" 20 mm is far more useful for things other than just the "mean streets" of Boise. If my "memory" is correct there are many beautiful parts of Idaho that deserve a look

If you do not want to use a camera, that is fine. A cellphone is certainly capable for most needs of social media, but you do live in Idaho and that "sneaky" 20 mm is far more useful for things other than just the "mean streets" of Boise. If my "memory" is correct there are many beautiful parts of Idaho that deserve a look
But that would involve going out there, you see. I don’t want to go out there. I like it in here. That’s a huge part of why I gave up: it’s just too much damn trouble for too little return. I would much rather stay in my studio and write music. Photography is pretty much dead to me now, but as others have said above, it could come back to life someday, and I can wait.

My failed interest or more accurately put lack of pushing through the learning curve are my guitars, still own a number of electric and acoustic guitars and amps but never could find the discipline to get even acceptable at playing them. So there they sit on display in my home office waiting and hoping I will pick them up and try again .

My failed interest or more accurately put lack of pushing through the learning curve are my guitars, still own a number of electric and acoustic guitars and amps but never could find the discipline to get even acceptable at playing them. So there they sit on display in my home office waiting and hoping I will pick them up and try again .
Want a little advice to get those guitars ringing again? Aim low. Forget about learning other people’s music. Just play what you feel with no agenda, no goals other than enjoying the vibrating machine against your chest. The rest will come.

You still have cameras, and if they are Sony, then please, keep coming here!

I am a bit jealous that you are apparently immune to GAS!
I know, right? I still spend loads of money on my studio and guitars. I just feel like the world needs another great song more than it needs yet another damn photo of another damn bird.

wow, I feel seen. My 3 guitars gather dust while I type this. Can I play them? nah, just a couple chords and a stairway to heaven intro.
My wife asked why I don't sell them. The answer is painful: I bought cheap guitars, so even if I sell all 3, I can't afford a decent camera lens with that money :ROFLMAO:

wow, I feel seen. My 3 guitars gather dust while I type this. Can I play them? nah, just a couple chords and a stairway to heaven intro.
My wife asked why I don't sell them. The answer is painful: I bought cheap guitars, so even if I sell all 3, I can't afford a decent camera lens with that money :ROFLMAO:
My issue is different in that they are not cheap ones, so i look at them like either I will not get what they are worth selling or I pick up playing in the future, knowing now I would never spend that much money again to replace them. Both foolish thoughts, that reminds of the joke, where the old man is dying and hopes his wife does not sell his guitar collection for what he told her he paid for them.

I just feel like the world needs another great song more than it needs yet another damn photo.
Understood but one could flip this thought the other way as well, all comes done to how we each see and feel. Best of luck with your music.

Understood but one could flip this thought the other way as well, all comes done to how we each see and feel. Best of luck with your music.
I totally get that. I may just be replacing one futile dream with another. But a man has to do something with his life in old age. I won't just sit here and rot away.

I like it in here. That’s a huge part of why I gave up: it’s just too much damn trouble for too little return. I would much rather stay in my studio and write music.
Sounds good to me!

Meanwhile, I seem to have got stuck with a role of photographing musicians! Well... I love the music, and seem to have found my photographic niche, and am even able to do something useful for the musicians and organisers.

I am a bit jealous that you are apparently immune to GAS!
You haven't see his studio!

Oh he says...
I still spend loads of money on my studio and guitars.
See? :LOL:
so even if I sell all 3, I can't afford a decent camera lens with that money
The lesson here is that we should buy only lenses that will have some decent value if/when we, or our heirs, sell them. Think of camera/lens buying as giving something to the next generation. Completely selfless. We have a duty to do it. Right?
the old man is dying and hopes his wife does not sell his guitar collection for what he told her he paid for them.
It was hifi audio when I las theard it. :ROFLMAO:

Back